Iron Man IRONMAN Casting Thread [merged-15]

Status
Not open for further replies.
okay....Cruise CANT be Iron Man....so you all need to get over it.

Yes he would have been really good but its not going to happen. Depp probably wont do it either, he's EXTREMELY picky with scripts. He'd be another good choice.
I'd say go with Dylan Mcdermott or if you want more star power go with Colin Farrel.

Let's look at the popular options:

Tom Cruise (Magnolia)
+ a popular choice and guaranteed to sell movie tickets. He's a talented actor and is familiar with action roles.
- Will he be available when the time comes though?

Jim Caviezel (The Passion of the Christ)
+ A great actor who will certainly bring the intensity required to the Tony Stark role.
- Is this "comic book fare" beneath him?

Matt Damon (The Bourne Identity)
+ He's talented and has done this Tom Clancy-esque stuff before.
- Is he too young?

Colin Farrell (The Recruit)
+ He's got the looks and he certainly likes a drink! He's also the man of the moment.
- Will he want to do another comic book flick?

Johnny Depp (Finding Neverland)
+ Another popular choice. He's talented and good-looking and has a proven action track record. Could definitely bring much needed complexity to the role.
- Can you actually imagine him in the armour? I don't know why, but I just can't see it right now...

Dylan McDermott (Runaway Jury)
(I don't know much about this guy but ..)
+ He certainly looks the part, and I'm told he's a good actor.
- Is he well known enough? Does Iron Man (a lesser well known Marvel hero) need an A-lister to be a successful film?

Guy Pierce (Memento)
+ He's got the looks for Stark and he's shown he's got the acting ability when he wants. Plus, presumably he's cheap...
- Can he carry such a flick on his narrow shoulders? And his acting wasn't up to scratch in The Time Machine.

Billy Crudup (Almost Famous)
+ A very good actor with the right kind of appearance and attitude for Stark. Plus, he does a good drunk.
- Has he done action before? And again, is he well known enough?

Who would you like to play Stark out of the above?
Would you prefer someone else?

Crimson Dynamo said:
The Rob Lowe rumour has been officially debunked (thankfully) by the film's producer Don Murphy on his website.

Don Murphy has a website? Thanks for the heads up, I'm gonna go shillin' for Dylan!!

Crimson Dynamo said:
Let's look at the popular options:

Tom Cruise (Magnolia)
+ a popular choice and guaranteed to sell movie tickets. He's a talented actor and is familiar with action roles.
- Will he be available when the time comes though?

Cruise is not gonna be available, which sucks for him, because he's shown a genuine love for the project, stating in inteviews how he'd love to be Stark since like '95! I mean his interest in the role is part of what originally sparked the project.

Crimson Dynamo said:
Jim Caviezel (The Passion of the Christ)
+ A great actor who will certainly bring the intensity required to the Tony Stark role.
- Is this "comic book fare" beneath him?

As hard as he shilled for the role of Superman, Caviezel is not above comic films, and said he enjoys the challenge of iconic characters.

Crimson Dynamo said:
Matt Damon (The Bourne Identity)
+ He's talented and has done this Tom Clancy-esque stuff before.
- Is he too young?

I don't think he's too young, because Damon has a palpable edge behind his youthful appearance, it balances him out. He can act, no question, but the real question to me is: "Is he really a box office draw?" If the film goes sour, it could be like Daredevil all over again. Let's not forget the talespin Damon was in pre-Bourne series. All The Pretty Horses? Legend of Bagger Vance? Bleecch. He admitted in an Entertainment Weekly issue right before "The Bourne Supremacy" came out that the series saved his career.

Crimson Dynamo said:
Colin Farrell (The Recruit)
+ He's got the looks and he certainly likes a drink! He's also the man of the moment.
- Will he want to do another comic book flick?

I like Farrell, but there are better choices for this particular role. leave him to Bullseye.

Crimson Dynamo said:
Johnny Depp (Finding Neverland)
+ Another popular choice. He's talented and good-looking and has a proven action track record. Could definitely bring much needed complexity to the role.
- Can you actually imagine him in the armour? I don't know why, but I just can't see it right now...

Is Hayter's draft quirky enough to attract him? Not a knock on Hayter, but the reality of Depp. He's a cagey one, hard to predict. A great actor, honestly I feel, one of the best of our generation, with the likes of Tom Hanks, Denzel Washington and Sean Penn. He chooses roles carefully, but with no predictable pattern. And if he does sign on, would he be up for a possible 3-film franchise? As for if you can see him in the armor, well I couldn't see him as a pirate, and he pulled that off. Trust me, Depp would throw himself into the role, that why he's so good.

Crimson Dynamo said:
Dylan McDermott (Runaway Jury)
(I don't know much about this guy but ..)
+ He certainly looks the part, and I'm told he's a good actor.
- Is he well known enough? Does Iron Man (a lesser well known Marvel hero) need an A-lister to be a successful film?

My main man! Tony Stark right here! If Hugh Jackman, a man that the American public had no knowledge of, could become Wolverine, if Tobey Maguire, whose most memorable roles pre-Spiderman were in ensemble roles, then Dylan McDermott, a tv and film veteran and Emmy winner, can pull off Iron Man. These Marvel films have increase actors media presence, they don't rely on stars, for the most part.

CD if you get a chance, watch a re-run of "The Practice." I don't know where you live, but here in Chicago, they show re-runs every Saturday on UPN. Dylan has the chops, believe me.

Crimson Dynamo said:
Guy Pierce (Memento)
+ He's got the looks for Stark and he's shown he's got the acting ability when he wants. Plus, presumably he's cheap...
- Can he carry such a flick on his narrow shoulders? And his acting wasn't up to scratch in The Time Machine.

Honestly, I've never watched a film of his, or if I have, he didn't leave a lasting impression, a bad sign if your going to hold up a film like Iron Man.

Crimson Dynamo said:
Billy Crudup (Almost Famous)
+ A very good actor with the right kind of appearance and attitude for Stark. Plus, he does a good drunk.
- Has he done action before? And again, is he well known enough?

See Guy Pierce.

Great list of actors Crimson, you've made a good case for all of them. I think at one time or another we have said Tom Cruise would be a great choice for the part,but he so busy with other projects it's highly unlikely he will be availible.
Jim Cavieziel would be a big catch for Marvel to have him in Iron Man would give it star power,granted not on the level of Tom Cruise,but big non-the-less, and he looks the part.
Guy Pierce would also be a good choice,but he's not as well known as the other two mentioned,but Marvel has done very well with little known actors in their films.

I would like to see Jim Cavieziel at least be considered for the part, he is a very talented actor, he looks like Tony Stark,just put a mustach on him and your all set.

MarvelMovies said:
Dylan McDermott
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001518/

Iron1.gif

Iron2.gif

Comments by Crimson... Dynamo..

I mainly am a fan of him for Iron Man because of a Manip that I saw of him on Comics2Film.. that I've posted in this thread.. he looks exactly the part..

I agree with you that he looks the part. McDermott has that dashing Errol Flynn look that Stark had in his first appearance. It's the reason why a lot of people used to say that Timothy Dalton would be perfect for the role (..until his hair fell out).
I'm trying to remain open-minded about the casting. It'll be interesting to see who lands the part.

As people insist on starting new Iron Man threads ever three f***ing seconds, I'm forced to post this twice as it's relevant in both threads:

Brief interview with Don Murphy (producer on IM) about his plans for the film. Interesting to hear his thoughts on casting *gulp*:

http://www.comics2film.com/FanFrame.php?f_id=3105

Just a thought.I don't know how to do a poll but someone who does should start one for the casting of IM.There are lots of good suggestions floating around these boards as to who should play IM so it might be a good idea to put them altogether and vote to see who' is the favourite in fans eyes:) .If someone does do a poll here are some of the names ive heard mentioned not including Cruise b/c he is seemingly out of the running:

Kiefer Sutherland
Brad Pitt
Jim Cavezial
Johnny Depp
Matt Damon
Collin Farrel
Dylan Mcdermot
Guy Pearce

I just opened this thread so we could see who is the favourite with fans to Play Iron Man:) :)

Yes but in the casting thread there are lots of names being thrown around i just thought with a poll we could see who was the most popular choice:)

....(But out of that bunch I'd have Depp).

Don Murphy has already dismissed Lowe.

Hope we are cool CD,i got flamed ( deservedly so) for opening to many threads but i sincerely thought this was a valid one:)

Maybe we needed a poll.

*edit*

I understand if your 'posting-finger' is a little itchy.
Just be thankful it was me who posted here first, and not some of the more 'seasoned' members!

Ironfan72 said:
I would have to guess Rhodes will be in the movie,he has always been a major charactor in the book and would be a injustice if he isn't in the film.
Yes, that would be like making a Hulk movie without Rick Jones! Madness!

Wait a minute...

I would like to see Dominic West as Tony Stark

atmshawn said:
Where is the "other" option?
I just put down as many as i could remember from the casting thread but if you have another suggestion i'd like to hear it:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"