How to make Hawkman?

I thought legion did a pretty good job of designing Hawkman

Legion-kevindurand-angel.jpg

Should the movie bring in, in the first movie, the whole reincarnation concept? Or save it for a sequel? And just have the first film be about an archeologist who finds the wings and becomes Hawkman? Or should the reincarnation concept be an essential part of the three film story, like the whole three films should revolve around Carter and Kendra and their reincarnation and past lives? Make the whole thing be about them being born, finding each other, dying, and getting born again?

Should the movie bring in, in the first movie, the whole reincarnation concept?
And just have the first film be about an archeologist who finds the wings and becomes Hawkman?
Both!
The film should tie to ancient Egypt, and have a fantasy vibe.
A possible sequel should step into sci fi territorium, on the other hand.

I thought legion did a pretty good job of designing Hawkman

Hmm, why not Paul Bettany in the lead? He has enough star quality to help the film getting notice outside the comic book fanbase. And he's done some stylish action films lately (Legion being one of them).

Paul Bettany too british for a character who's a part of american popular culture history? Too soft/gentle for Bad-ash Hawkman? Too old to play an archeologist to becomes a superhero?

Last edited:
from another Hawkman movie thread. Maybe they can merge them.
I thought this was the old one.

You also get the Highlander flashbacks too. You get flashes of their past lives, in Ancient Egypt, in the old West, in Germany, in Thanagar, a lot of past lives where they can look different too (different bodies), but if the audience is told that this is the same guy and girl they will get it.

CarterHallHawk.jpg
543234-hawkman10.jpg
images

I really like his character, Hawkman's/Carter's. He is this guy who has lived hundreds of different lives, has been everywhere and seen everything, and is very sophisticated and cultured, but is also this angry barbarian who is trying to restrain himself. Also love the idea that he lives above a museum full of artifacts from his previous lives, and that he goes out searching for artifacts from those lives too as well as being Hawkman and fighting bad guys.
And Kendra would be the Hawkgirl I'd use, maybe call her Hawkwoman though, because her story is very interesting. She barely remembers Carter or her past lives and doesn't know if she fully trusts Carter. Plus he tells her they used to be in love for thousands of years. Its a lot for her to take and would make an interesting arc for her movie.

I don't know what the New 52 Hawkman is like, but the Johns/Robinson vesion from pre New 52 would be the one I would choose.

Oh, also you get the built in out for the actors. If the guy playing Carter wants out or the woman playing Kendra you can have them killed off and replaced with a new character. Maybe just use the idea that they did with Kendra. A descendant of Carter Hall died around the same time and his spirit went into him. Or something. But like Doctor Who you have built in outs for the actor that allow the story to keep going.
1355528-hawkman_s_lives.jpg

So you have the
Superman theme: alien from another planet on Earth to save it
Indiana Jones: Archaeologist and ancient artifacts and the past themes
Doctor Who: rebirth and regeneration + built in out for actors
and Highlander: flashes of past lives in different setting around the world.

I think that would help the studios see how valuable the movie could be if those themes are pointed out. Movies and shows that have already been out and worked with the audience. Themes they already know. Studios wont worry that audiences will be lost.

Last edited:
The question still remains: could Bettany work for Carter Hall after showing his action skills in Legion and priest?

I always thought Darren Aronofsky's The Fountain would be a cool template for a Hawkman movie. It is a love story that takes place in 3 different eras (sword-and-sandal/modern/futuristic) if you didn't know. You could sync up Egyptians worshiping their Thanagar "gods," the archaeologists uncovering these Egyptians remains, and the advanced alien Thanagarian civilization that comes to Earth.

Sorry this is a double post from the other Hawkman thread

Last edited:
New post to wake up this old thread from the grave.

Do you think that the Butler/Rush blockbuster Gods of Egypt will turn the focus to Hawkman and a possible adaption?

I like the original poster's suggestion of giving the movie a bit of an Indiana Jones spin. I want the sequence where he goes in and finds the armor/Nth metal to be trap filled and disaster ridden. Then the mystery of it unravels throughout the film like you said.

I think the Dr. Fate angle could be a little much for the origin film, but would be good for the sequel maybe. Or a very small part as the final revelation about the reincarnation or whatever.

Wow, now I really want to see this movie!

Personally, I am opposed to copycat characters in these movies. In my opinion, Hawkgirl has overtaken Hawkman in prominence for the general audience, so if there is a cinematic Hawkman, I'd kill him in his first appearance just as a way to introduce Hawkgirl. I know that most DC fans never get tired of copycats, but I can't stand it.

Personally, I am opposed to copycat characters in these movies. In my opinion, Hawkgirl has overtaken Hawkman in prominence for the general audience, so if there is a cinematic Hawkman, I'd kill him in his first appearance just as a way to introduce Hawkgirl. I know that most DC fans never get tired of copycats, but I can't stand it.
Then why would you kill off Hawkman, the original?

Then why would you kill off Hawkman, the original?

An excellent point. There is no reason why Hawkman and Hawkgirl can't be in the movie together. A superheroic duo would actually be fairly unique since we haven't seen that in a while (at least since Batman and Robin... and... yeah).

Done right, the dynamic could be really cool and the concept could be a winner. You'd knock out the romance part of the story as well since they're practically made for each other :woot:

I would kill Hawkman because in my opinion, he is less relevant to the general audience than Hawkgirl. Sometimes the copy becomes greater than the original. Since Hawkgirl is known from the cartoons...my assumption is that she may have more to offer on the screen.

And I'm all for a duo...but not a duo who are the same. DC is OBSESSED with this sort of crap, and it's the reason why they will never overtake Marvel.

"hey, we have an open spot...let's hype Adam Strange!"
"No...people like that Bat logo...lets do Bat...Woman!"
"Well, another spot just opened up...how about Booster Gold?"
"No...we gotta stick with logos over characters...thats all people care about...we'll do Superboy!"

The secret to making the general audience care is to make each person UNIQUE. Why should I give a crap about Flash if the Golden Age Flash, Kid Flash and Impulse are all running around? Why should I care about Green Lantern when there are THOUSANDS of people wearing that ring? How special could Hal Jordan really be???

But back to the point. Will Alex Proyas' film affect Hawkman's popularity?
Paul Bettany for Carter - yay or nay? And why?

I don't really think Gods of Egypt is going to have much of an impact on Hawkman's chances at getting a film at all.

But I think it will. WB will see that they can make money on something similar.
It's all about the "flavor of the month".

But if Gods Of Egypt is another Clah Of The Titans (i.e. crappy excuse for an action film) and does the same not-really-overwhelming business would we even want WB to pick up on that thread? I don't think that film will have any impact on a Hawkman movie. It seems to me that there is a plan in place that is going to go through MOS2, possibly WW, possibly Flash but leading to JL. I am very skeptical that we will see anything other than big guns in theaters. Which is unfortunate because I truly believe a concept like Hawkman could really just be insanely good. I'd love for my thinking here to be proven wrong because we all know taking the risky step can have the biggest dividends. I just hope GL was a lesson learned and didn't scare them off.

It's been many years since this thread was up.
After seeing both Wonder Woman and Aquaman having success, that the characters work well at the silver screen and also their quite campy costumes work well, I have to ask if the same can appen for Hawkman.

I also want to know if Paul Bettany still wouldn't suit for Hawkman. Since the last time I brought him up, he's actually played a superhero.
Combine the effects from MCU with the rawness he showed in Legion and Priest.

Just make a Hawkgirl film instead. She’s more popular, iconic and interesting. Let it lead to the newly improved JL (New Superman, New Batman, Wonder Woman, New Flash, Aquaman, Green Lantern John) and there you go! Play the iconic JLU theme... Success!

Hawkman's in the Black Adam movie btw

Juan1193: In what way is Hawkgirl more iconic than Hawkman?

super-powers-collection-hawkman.jpg

Hawkman is still more iconic than Hawkgirl.

Carter Hall has a fairly steady history whereas Hawkgirl has had so many different identities over the years.

Hawkgirl is a better character IMO though just because of the JL animated series.

Juan1193: It's because the makers of the animated Justice League series wanted to have one female superhero more on the team, not only WW, and they ditched Carter Hall. Diversity is quite important. That's the only reason she's more known.
Before that, it was Hawkman who was iconic. It was HIM in Smallville, not Hawkgirl

Juan1193: It's because the makers of the animated Justice League series wanted to have one female superhero more on the team, not only WW, and they ditched Carter Hall. Diversity is quite important. That's the only reason she's more known.
Before that, it was Hawkman who was iconic. It was HIM in Smallville, not Hawkgirl
She also has the Super Hero Girls franchise, though oddly she hasn’t appeared in the new series yet. We don’t talk about the Arrowverse versions of the Hawks...

Can’t wait for her big screen debut next year! I’ve been waiting for it for a while now haha

Can’t wait for her big screen debut next year! I’ve been waiting for it for a while now haha
Both will appear in Black Adam.

When the news first came, it was Hawkman that was mentioned first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"