The Dark Knight Rises Is Christian Bale the most popular incarnation of Batman/Bruce Wayne?

With no Joker to steal the spotlight I think Bale has a good chance of redeeming his character in the eyes of the general audience in this movie. He won't need to be subtle this time, and they'll probably tone down the voice.

Honestly, I doubt we will have anything over-the-top with the voice in TDKR, like the last scene with The Joker or the "Hockey Pads" line in TDK.

At the worse, Batman's voice will be back to BB levels but Bane will be the one up for scrutiny and infamous parody.

I don't want to hope for too much so I'm setting myself up for the possibility that we're still getting the TDK voice. It would be a pleasant surprise if we do get the BB voice since I loved that voice.

That being said, I really can't wait to see Bale's take on Bruce/Batman this time specially with him coming off from his Oscar win as an actor. Nolan said so himself that the 8 year gap was a chance for the actors specially Bale to get something to sink their teeth in to character wise.

Bane has an awesome voice. I hope they don't tone it down too much. But Batman? Not so much.

I remember watching TDK trailer, and my girlfriend asked why The Joker sounded like he did. Why he put on that voice. And my response was that he is a human being, but a heightened human being that has grounding in comic books. These heroes and main villains should have a distinctness about them, getting into character. If that is attempted I respect it. I can see where people are coming from in terms of actually understanding lines, taking it maybe too far, but can't get on board with disliking the concept.

Bane has an awesome voice. I hope they don't tone it down too much. But Batman? Not so much.

Yup.

Even in BB it was hit or miss. Some scenes were perfect (subway scene), while some were bad (fat Batman explains the plan to Gordon).

Wasn't the Batvoice addressed in the BB script? I wonder why they cut out that part...

Wasn't the Batvoice addressed in the BB script? I wonder why they cut out that part...

What do you mean? There was a scene where Bruce practiced new voices to use as Batman?

I prefer Kevin and Michael, but Christian is good.

This is a toughie. As far as live action go, I'd have to go with the majority of people and say that Keaton and Bale are my favorites. Overall I'd say Conroy, hands down but that's just a voice. Between Keaton and Bale it's hard too choose because both of them are so damn good and have positive attributes to the character that the other lack. If you were to somehow combine them, I'd think you'd have the perfect and definitive Batman.

West and Conory, like Keaton and Bale are in a league of their own. While Keaton and Bale are truly the icons of live action films they've got nothing on the iconography of West as the 60's campy Batman or the style and greatness of Conroy's voice in the animated series.

As far as most popular, that's debatable. In fact when one mentions Batman I wouldn't necessarily say that ANY of these actors, voice, TV show or film pop into my head. West may very well be the most iconic, but then again Conroy, Keaton and Bale are HUGE influences to the character as well.

Like I said, it's a toughie. I'm just glad we fans have so many choices and such greatness and perfection when it comes to Batman. Variety is the spice of life, atleast we'll never be bored with these great versions.

On the contrary, he didn't have to force his voice or growl his way into the criminals.
The thing that bothers me about comments like these is that I'm almost positive Bale isn't the one that volunteered to go for the growl, it was part of the performance WB & Team Nolan wanted him to go with. And even if the growl was Bale's idea, it's Nolans job as a director to help guide Bale's performance if he perceived that as a bad decision. If Keaton was told to growl and not to whisper, who's to say he wouldn't have been even goofier than Bale? And it gets even worse when Bale technically didn't do the growl in TDK, it was the result of post production altering that made it sound ridiculous/inaudible, and yet he gets even more flack for it in that movie respectively.

The thing that bothers me about comments like these is that I'm almost positive Bale isn't the one that volunteered to go for the growl, it was part of the performance WB & Team Nolan wanted him to go with. And even if the growl was Bale's idea, it's Nolans job as a director to help guide Bale's performance if he perceived that as a bad decision. If Keaton was told to growl and not to whisper, who's to say he wouldn't have been even goofier than Bale? And it gets even worse when Bale technically didn't do the growl in TDK, it was the result of post production altering that made it sound ridiculous/inaudible, and yet he gets even more flack for it in that movie respectively.

Nobody is saying it was Bale's idea. Obviously he was doing his job. But that doesn't excuse any flaws whether or not it was his fault.

Personally, I blame Nolan 100%...

What do you mean? There was a scene where Bruce practiced new voices to use as Batman?

Something about putting a device in the costume to change the voice. I don't recall what it was exactly but I remembered that the reason for it was addressed somewhere.

Maybe because it's obvious why he does it?

You'd think so but then you get people wondering why his voice is different when he's Batman. :funny:

:up:

Even if you take away the post-prod aspect of it, it's still the director's job to direct and determine the voice to be used by the actor so Nolan is very much responsible for the voice as well. I think Batfans for the most part get that but the GA doesn't. That's also why I think the chances of the voice changing is very small since Nolan seems fond of it. I guess we just have to uh "pedal faster". :oldrazz:

Something about putting a device in the costume to change the voice. I don't recall what it was exactly but I remembered that the reason for it was addressed somewhere.

Thank God they didn't go that route. I prefer knowing Bruce Wayne is just a talented voice actor (well, not in this case). XD

That sounds like a bit too much to add some voice box to the cowl.

In Terminator Salvation although the growl doesn't exist, his performance is just as bad and somewhat similar to what he does in Batman. The deadly serious tone is totally one dimensional. When I watch Conroy in the cartoon, regardless of the actual lines not being very sophisticated that's not the case at all. especially in the brillaint Mask Of Phantasm. That's kind of the problem not just with Bale but Nolan movies in general, a total lack of emotion. The love interests feel totally disconnected with the on-screen chemistry of a pair of chairs.

I actually like the deadly serious "one dimensional" tone. Keaton was pretty much the same way in his Batman films. The only problem with Bale's style is he needs to speak up. From time to time he whispers so softly that you really need to turn up the volume or enable subtitles.

In Terminator Salvation although the growl doesn't exist, his performance is just as bad and somewhat similar to what he does in Batman. The deadly serious tone is totally one dimensional. When I watch Conroy in the cartoon, regardless of the actual lines not being very sophisticated that's not the case at all. especially in the brillaint Mask Of Phantasm. That's kind of the problem not just with Bale but Nolan movies in general, a total lack of emotion. The love interests feel totally disconnected with the on-screen chemistry of a pair of chairs.

Bale has never given a "bad" performance outside of Batman. He is, in my honest opinion, the best actor in Hollywood. However, I do agree with everything you said about Kevin Conroy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"