The Dark Knight Rises Is Christian Bale the most popular incarnation of Batman/Bruce Wayne?

The Batman

The Dark Knight
Reaction score
Has Bale become for Batman what Reeve is to Superman or what Tom Baker/David Tennant is to Doctor Who?

i think he is not. Keaton is still very popular.

i think Bale is 10/10 in Nolan's universe. and Keaton is 10/10 in Burton's universe.

I'd say no. I seem to see Michael Keaton (and sometimes Kevin Conroy) commonly regarded as the most popular.

Despite the fact that I did grow up with them as Batman (as well as Adam West), Christian Bale is still my favourite.

West may ultimately be, for varying reasons.

Keaton. Bale just happens to be in the better movies.

Christian is my favourite, but he's definitely not the most popular incarnation. The whole undercurrent of infamy that has come with the Terminator Salvation scandal and the Batman Voice parodys (that don't have anything to do with Bale's acting, but people will still call him a goofy Batman for it) don't help. Then you've got the fact that he's the newest version on the block, whereas many grew up with Conroy and Keaton as their favourites.

Christian is very good, for me it all that counts. But Batman is already known for having many different actors behind the mask and most of them have a lot to offer.

Has Bale become for Batman what Reeve is to Superman or what Tom Baker/David Tennant is to Doctor Who?

Matt Smith says wash your mouth out. :woot:

I think after this film then Bale has a better chance, but there's still a bit of stigma about the voice (which I love) and also his extra curricular controversies that make people less inclined to look at his performance objectively. I think he's the best on screen that we've had, but like Keaton he's also famous for other great roles too and for that reason I think a lot of people consider Adam West as being Batman more than Keaton or Bale purely because it's the only major role he's had that you can associate him with.

I'd say it's 50/50 between Bale and Keaton.

I'd say Bale is the better Bruce Wayne and clearly the better phyiscial Batman (fighting, physique). But Keaton had a better Batman voice and (at times) demeanor.

But they are both great.

I think about 60% of the fan base online navigates to Kevin Conroy.

A good/terrible thing (depending what side are you looking at) about Christopher Reeve as Superman was that he was typecast. That helps since few gave memories of him as any other character buty Superman; he did nothing else that was that famous. Cannot say the same about Batman actors.

For the GA, I'd say yes. For the hardcore Batman fans, I'd say it's a toss up between Bale and Keaton (with some throwing in Conroy even though I'm assuming we're just talking about live incarnations).

Bale is my personal favorite since I loved both his Batman and Bruce Wayne.

Someone upthread did bring up a good point though that Bale has done some other iconic roles (like Patrick Bateman) so not everyone really distinguish him as Batman.

Christian is my favourite, but he's definitely not the most popular incarnation. The whole undercurrent of infamy that has come with the Terminator Salvation scandal and the Batman Voice parodys (that don't have anything to do with Bale's acting, but people will still call him a goofy Batman for it) don't help. Then you've got the fact that he's the newest version on the block, whereas many grew up with Conroy and Keaton as their favourites.

[rant] Why only Bale got the full backlash of the Batvoice from the general public will always puzzle me. Is it because people are not daring to criticize Nolan so it's just easier to put the full blame on the actor? And then they relate it to his entire interpretation of Batman even if it's just one aspect ("Bale is a horrible Batman! Why? His voice sucks!!!1111"). Regardless of whether the post-prod alteration was done or not, it's the director's responsibility to make sure that people can consistently understand the voice of the lead actor and it doesn't sound overdone in some parts. I noticed the same thing with Anne's costume. A lot of people are placing the blame on her as if she single handedly created the costume. Lots of "Her costume sucks! She doesn't look like Catwoman therefore Anne sucks as Catwoman!". I don't get it. :huh: [/endrant]

The way I see it the favorites are always more or less evenly divided between Bale, Keaton and Conroy

Everybody I ask at my school loves Bale's Batman. I know a few fans of Keaton and Conroy, but they prefer Bale.

You know.. if they were to make this a franchise with more movie installments down the line with Bale at the helm then yes.. I would say yes. And I would be quite happy with that.

Did Bale's movies generate the most money? If so, Bale by default.

I absolutely LOVE Bale, but I really hate his Batman. His Bruce is perfect though.

My favourite incarnation of Batman will always be Kevin Conroy.

I just hate that F**KING VOICE.

Keaton was the MAN in "the other guys". So funny.

There can't be a definitive "most popular" Batman.

With Superman, there has been precisely one useful incarnation in the last 50-years (after George Reeves' run on The Adventures of Superman ended in 1958). Christopher Reeve is the only Superman for anyone born after 1960. Routh was fine ... but was ultimately doing a Reeve imitation. There's not even any room for disagreement because there's no alternative to Reeve. Once Cavill's movie hits theaters, then there is at least a debate to have.

With Batman ... there have been a half-dozen incarnations since 1960. Adam West, Michael Keaton, Val Kilmer, George Clooney, Kevin Conroy, Christian Bale. You can't have a definitive "best Batman" because there are too many options ... which leaves plenty of room for disagreement.

For me, Bale is the best by a longshot. Followed by Keaton, Conroy, Kilmer, West and Clooney. But, there is room for disagreement.

Bale may end up being the most popular as the Burton movies and The Animated Series get older and older. We're over 20-years as it stands. Fans of those movies will get older, just like fans of the Batman TV show have gotten older and faded a bit. And, when a new version comes along, Bale's Batman will be the nostalgic version.

JB

Bale is without a doubt the best live action Batman/Bruce Wayne. But my all time favourite Batman is and always will be Kevin Conroy.

Christian Bale, hands down.

Some fans might not favor him because of the voice and Terminator Salvation scandal, but he's by far the best Batman we've gotten.

Keaton was a solid Batman, but compared to Bale's Batman, Michael's was a tad bland.

The debut of Christian's Batman in Batman Begins said it all, in my opinion.

My favourite live action Batman moments belong to Bale and they all involve interrogations of some sort... Flass, Maroni and The Joker. :awesome:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"