The Dark Knight Rises Is Christian Bale the most popular incarnation of Batman/Bruce Wayne?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVDG416sd9E

I've always thought this scene is a great example of how Batman should act-Keaton was intimidating even without a dark voice.

Yes, staring sardonically at a woman while crime is going on right next to him. Very intimidating. One of the many follies of the Burton Batman - not quite up there as his first appearance of spreading his cape and falling over. Very scary.

Yes, staring sardonically at a woman while crime is going on right next to him. Very intimidating. One of the many follies of the Burton Batman - not quite up there as his first appearance of spreading his cape and falling over. Very scary.

It's because that mask was so huge and heavy.

The chaos was done by that point. That clown was the last one. I think this killer stare with lightened up eyes was one of the best imagery in Batman movies

The chaos was done by that point. That clown was the last one. I think this killer stare with lightened up eyes was one of the best imagery in Batman movies

Yes, thank you! Of course the Burton movies had problems, but this was a pretty cool scene nevertheless.

Yes, thank you! Of course the Burton movies had problems, but this was a pretty cool scene nevertheless.

Heres what I wrote about disecting and comparing 80s/early 90s movie plots to modern filmmaking:

On the subject of this weird comparisons of 80s movie plot structures to modern filmmaking:
As long as the characters and their reactions are real, I dont care about anything else. I think today people are ruining the movie experience for themselves. Its epidemic, and people seem to scrutinize and go over the movies looking for an implausibility which for me personally is ridiculous. Movies are movies, theyre suppose to take us on a journey and show us a story which otherwise wouldnt happen in real life. Bagging on a movie for inadequate police procedures or gravity or physical reactions or mechanics, or how come, where did..instead of story is really sad. The great late Stan Kubrick said" real is good, but interesting is better". And those are genius' words of wisdom. People didnt care about hyperrealty in movies back in the days, and look at all those imaginative classics and iconic characters we got. People werent hung on Freddy Krueger's face, that it doesnt look like an actual burn victim, people werent complaining about epic explosions and loud battles in space in Star Wars, people werent moaning about John McClain being able to move the way he did with severe bleeding. People just had fun and just enjoyed the ride and the story. I mean really, sometimes I see people criticizing some movie scenes because "a truck wouldnt spin this way or it the axel would break and the truck wouldnt be able to move, or police wouldve stopped him..." instead of talking about how badass the truck explosion or chase or stunt or piece of action was or how great the characters or how fun the story was.

Stuff ,like this is what makes or breaks the story, not how much the story reflects real life. What happened to the saying "only in movies"?

Not to mention what a huge double standard it is for fans of certain movies criticizing others for same mistakes, but blindly or conveniently not seeing any in their personal favorite. I dont see them when Im watching it, when Im in the middle of sinking into the story and enjoying it, because thats what the audiences are suppose to do. Get carried away and go with the flow, not analyse it like lab workers

Some bully other movies for "movie magic" yet completely biased ignore those of their personal favorites. All of the movies have it but only older ones get flak

-How is it possible that no one could find an entire rooms filled with barrels in any of the hospitals during the police search? Its not like its a small bomb there, as we see throughout the movie Joker uses rigged barrels

-How did Joker plan in the beginning heist for the kids’ schoolbuses to have such a perfectly timed gap in between them for him to drive his own schoolbus in between during his escape?. Anyone who knows anything about school buses knows they don’t drive behind each other in city traffic with a huge gap between them large enough for another school bus to just jump into the line. Why is it, in the beginning of the movie, the bank robbers are able to crash a school bus through the brick walls of the bank without any damage to the bus

-Gordon and Batman’s plan was to fake Gordon’s death and just transporting Harvey while hoping the Joker would attack…yet when it happened they still seemed totally unprepared for it. Batman may suffer from incredible pride but there?s no way he could have planned, forseen or even imagained such a successful scenario as him flipping the Jokers truck, faking his defeat and Gordons reappearance because it all happened just metres away from his vehicle. The Joker needs Dent for phase 2 of this particular plan os his attempt at killing him is self serving. He needs to be caught AND he needs the guy with the phone in his stomach to make it with him otherwise hes got no way to get Lao or the money

-Harvey and Rachel were using unjust tactics to pressure him to talk, making implications they would place his life in danger based on how much he cooperates.

-Everyone(including Press and Gordon) knew that it was Ramirez who walked with Harvey and sent him in a police car. During the jail Interrogation scene, why no one(including Gordon) asked Ramirez about the whereabouts of Harvey? She should be knowing the who drove Harvey's car

-How come Harvey and Rachel weren't under an ethics investigation? You had a D.A. and an assistant D.A. having a relationship that would have been ready-made for the front pages of the tabloids, and nobody seemed to notice any irregularities there

-When the Joker's one phonecall detonates the belly bomb, everyone in the squadroom conveniently falls down from the explosion except the Joker and Lao

-Batman appears out of the ground in a brightly lit room, surrounded by a crowd that stands in a big distance. Yet he suddenly appears from the floor in the middle of that emptied space

-2 boats stranded with no communication in the middle of an evacuation, yet no one takes notice, not even a coast guard checking up on whats going on

-Despite the stunt looking really cool, the flipping of the tractor trailer simply would not have occurred as shown. Assuming Batman does exactly what we see regarding the cable, the truck would have just torn the cable out of the asphalt along with the lamp posts, barely being slowed by them. Ignoring this, if the cable's anchor held firm, the cable would more likely break. Failing that, the truck would simply, abruptly stop. But in no case is it capable of generating the force required to make the trailer rise up and turn with the entire rig over its own front end. Further, the tractor and trailer are not a single, rigid piece as shown. The two pieces would form a "V" while in the flip due to the trailer lagging behind the tractor as it rotates over. Once bent, the hitch would fail and the trailer would drop back on its wheels

-Batman scans a shattered bullet in a wall and finds a fingerprint on it. Firing the bullet would have certainly destroyed the fingerprint, as the bullet would be in contact with the barrel. Part of the fingerprint is seen on an area which would be in direct contact with the barrel. Airflow over the bullet would also more than likely destroy a fingerprintThe convoy could have easily go around the burning truck, theres a shot showing a big gap that would easily git the van. Even if they couldnt, they could just go on the opposite way and then go back to the right one, the street was blocked anyway. Helicopters can never fly between the buildings under no circumstances

-How come the helicopter didnt see the burning bright truck from the air and they only noticed that when the van did? From the air the flame at night wouldve been visible like a flare. And how come the van itself didnt see it earlier but just when they were nearly next to it

And not to mention Joker's plan and much more

Again, love both Burton and Nolans movies like crazy and I hope my articles reflect that, but I completely dont care about any so called plotholes or unbelievable events. At all

Yeah, it is. What's your point?

Yeah, it is. What's your point?
everything is logical in Nolan's Batman movies. for example bruce making the decision to jump from buildings to buildings with a tank was a briliant idea. :woot:

I grew up with West and Keaton. But Bale is still MY definitive live-action Bruce Wayne/Batman.

Being English, I cannot gauge what is popular across the pond but over here the Burton/Schumacher Batman films and the Timmverse series have all been forgotten by most of the GA.
The fact that the animated series is now largely forgotten over here in the UK is a real shame. But B89 and BR are on ITV literally every week, and Begins is still billed as a prequel whenever it shows up on mainstream TV. The ghost of Burton's Batman has yet to leave the manor.

Heres what I wrote about disecting and comparing 80s/early 90s movie plots to modern filmmaking:

On the subject of this weird comparisons of 80s movie plot structures to modern filmmaking:
As long as the characters and their reactions are real, I dont care about anything else. I think today people are ruining the movie experience for themselves. Its epidemic, and people seem to scrutinize and go over the movies looking for an implausibility which for me personally is ridiculous. Movies are movies, theyre suppose to take us on a journey and show us a story which otherwise wouldnt happen in real life. Bagging on a movie for inadequate police procedures or gravity or physical reactions or mechanics, or how come, where did..instead of story is really sad. The great late Stan Kubrick said" real is good, but interesting is better". And those are genius' words of wisdom. People didnt care about hyperrealty in movies back in the days, and look at all those imaginative classics and iconic characters we got. People werent hung on Freddy Krueger's face, that it doesnt look like an actual burn victim, people werent complaining about epic explosions and loud battles in space in Star Wars, people werent moaning about John McClain being able to move the way he did with severe bleeding. People just had fun and just enjoyed the ride and the story. I mean really, sometimes I see people criticizing some movie scenes because "a truck wouldnt spin this way or it the axel would break and the truck wouldnt be able to move, or police wouldve stopped him..." instead of talking about how badass the truck explosion or chase or stunt or piece of action was or how great the characters or how fun the story was.

Stuff ,like this is what makes or breaks the story, not how much the story reflects real life. What happened to the saying "only in movies"?

Not to mention what a huge double standard it is for fans of certain movies criticizing others for same mistakes, but blindly or conveniently not seeing any in their personal favorite. I dont see them when Im watching it, when Im in the middle of sinking into the story and enjoying it, because thats what the audiences are suppose to do. Get carried away and go with the flow, not analyse it like lab workers

Some bully other movies for "movie magic" yet completely biased ignore those of their personal favorites. All of the movies have it but only older ones get flak

-How is it possible that no one could find an entire rooms filled with barrels in any of the hospitals during the police search? Its not like its a small bomb there, as we see throughout the movie Joker uses rigged barrels

-How did Joker plan in the beginning heist for the kids’ schoolbuses to have such a perfectly timed gap in between them for him to drive his own schoolbus in between during his escape?. Anyone who knows anything about school buses knows they don’t drive behind each other in city traffic with a huge gap between them large enough for another school bus to just jump into the line. Why is it, in the beginning of the movie, the bank robbers are able to crash a school bus through the brick walls of the bank without any damage to the bus

-Gordon and Batman’s plan was to fake Gordon’s death and just transporting Harvey while hoping the Joker would attack…yet when it happened they still seemed totally unprepared for it. Batman may suffer from incredible pride but there?s no way he could have planned, forseen or even imagained such a successful scenario as him flipping the Jokers truck, faking his defeat and Gordons reappearance because it all happened just metres away from his vehicle. The Joker needs Dent for phase 2 of this particular plan os his attempt at killing him is self serving. He needs to be caught AND he needs the guy with the phone in his stomach to make it with him otherwise hes got no way to get Lao or the money

-Harvey and Rachel were using unjust tactics to pressure him to talk, making implications they would place his life in danger based on how much he cooperates.

-Everyone(including Press and Gordon) knew that it was Ramirez who walked with Harvey and sent him in a police car. During the jail Interrogation scene, why no one(including Gordon) asked Ramirez about the whereabouts of Harvey? She should be knowing the who drove Harvey's car

-How come Harvey and Rachel weren't under an ethics investigation? You had a D.A. and an assistant D.A. having a relationship that would have been ready-made for the front pages of the tabloids, and nobody seemed to notice any irregularities there

-When the Joker's one phonecall detonates the belly bomb, everyone in the squadroom conveniently falls down from the explosion except the Joker and Lao

-Batman appears out of the ground in a brightly lit room, surrounded by a crowd that stands in a big distance. Yet he suddenly appears from the floor in the middle of that emptied space

-2 boats stranded with no communication in the middle of an evacuation, yet no one takes notice, not even a coast guard checking up on whats going on

-Despite the stunt looking really cool, the flipping of the tractor trailer simply would not have occurred as shown. Assuming Batman does exactly what we see regarding the cable, the truck would have just torn the cable out of the asphalt along with the lamp posts, barely being slowed by them. Ignoring this, if the cable's anchor held firm, the cable would more likely break. Failing that, the truck would simply, abruptly stop. But in no case is it capable of generating the force required to make the trailer rise up and turn with the entire rig over its own front end. Further, the tractor and trailer are not a single, rigid piece as shown. The two pieces would form a "V" while in the flip due to the trailer lagging behind the tractor as it rotates over. Once bent, the hitch would fail and the trailer would drop back on its wheels

-Batman scans a shattered bullet in a wall and finds a fingerprint on it. Firing the bullet would have certainly destroyed the fingerprint, as the bullet would be in contact with the barrel. Part of the fingerprint is seen on an area which would be in direct contact with the barrel. Airflow over the bullet would also more than likely destroy a fingerprintThe convoy could have easily go around the burning truck, theres a shot showing a big gap that would easily git the van. Even if they couldnt, they could just go on the opposite way and then go back to the right one, the street was blocked anyway. Helicopters can never fly between the buildings under no circumstances

-How come the helicopter didnt see the burning bright truck from the air and they only noticed that when the van did? From the air the flame at night wouldve been visible like a flare. And how come the van itself didnt see it earlier but just when they were nearly next to it

And not to mention Joker's plan and much more

Again, love both Burton and Nolans movies like crazy and I hope my articles reflect that, but I completely dont care about any so called plotholes or unbelievable events. At all

My opinion as well. BR might be cartoonish in comparison to Nolan's films, but regardless it's all fantasy. Nolan just grounded these films in reality to develop the character and to make a stark contrast from the previous films.

And it's a great formula. Realistic Batman WORKS for movies, better than any of it's predecessors, in my opinion.

Oh please. BB did even worse. While Gotham is in the middle of tearing itself apart with fear. Rachel stops Batman before he can do anything to stop it. To ask him his freakin name. (It's Batman dumb broad!) Like an imbecile Batman puts rescuing Gotham on hold to answer her dumb question. Giving her his identity away in front of the scared kid he rescued with her. One of the many follies of BB.

[YT]PmwLPU5H6_Q[/YT]

Oh please. BB did even worse. While Gotham is in the middle of tearing itself apart with fear. Rachel stops Batman before he can do anything to stop it. To ask him his freakin name. (It's Batman dumb broad!) Like an imbecile Batman puts rescuing Gotham on hold to answer her dumb question. Giving her his identity away in front of the scared kid he rescued with her. One of the many follies of BB.

[YT]PmwLPU5H6_Q[/YT]

While you are not wrong, at least the person who distracts Batman in Batman Begins is Rachel, someone who let's face it is the only distraction in his life. In the Returns universe any babbling damsel seems to make Batman pause to drink them in. These moments - I fear - are the language we must paint heroes with in action films but you have to relent that while Keaton didn't really have a reason to pause and collect himself - I mean he just got out of the car and fired a line into a wall, then as I recall his job is done and he speaks to Gordon (total people saved at end of scene - 1) - Bale used some physical effort to pluck Rachel and the boy from the Street, he is also preparing and checking for his next jump into the melee when she addresses him (total people saved at end of scene - Gotham). Who are we to blame him for taking the opportunity to throw back an insult and look like the ultimate badass in front of the woman he is so eager to impress, who among use given the opportunity wouldn't do that, dressed in rubber atop a slum? I know I would, but perhap Bale's Bat and I are an older, nobler, Badasser breed...

In short, both are clunky scenes but while one feels like an odd way to reintroduce Batman, the other is a neat payoff of what has come before in the narrative.

Of course the most current blockbuster will have the most popular version of Batman. A better question is who experienced the greatest peak of popularity as Batman. This would have to be either Keaton or Adam West. They were so popular that they were typecast for decades.
In the case of Michael Keaton before playing Batman he was doing comedies and fans were like "Oh he can't do serious roles" and then BAM! the movie becomes a hit that after that all Keaton was doing were serious roles that it just became unacceptable for the audience that accepted him as Batman to return to comedies if you judge the failures of Multiplicity and Jack Frost.

Then it seemed that Keaton would semi-retire only to do a few DTV movies.

[YT]PmwLPU5H6_Q[/YT]

The folly of that scene was that Rachel said "Bruce" aloud. The kid would never get the "It's not who I am underneath" line. And I agree with what Daxceon said. It's a pay-off. The other scene in BR is vintage BR: "Let's do another money shot! Should be good for the trailer!"

no

1) Bale is seen as a good actor playing Batman in good batman films. not as "Batman"

2) to the specific point of the OP's post, Adam West is the prototypical Batman. he's the guy when you see him you're like "there's Batman" as with Reeves or Mark's Luke Skywalker... there's just no other real association with him plus the association with that one role is stronger than for any other actor.

3) just like when most people see Alec Guiness, they're like "hey there's Obi Wan" since for most Americans it's his most strongly associated role, you're not going to see Ewan McGregor in I love you Phillip Morris and sit there the entire movie going "Obi Wan Obi Wan" like you do when you see Jean Luc Picard in something. You watch Dr Zivago for the first time and you're like "oh I didn't know Obi Wan was in this movie"

4) Nolan's Batman has made a ton of money and is the most well received of the Batman movies but those of you over 30 realize that it doesn't have the cultural footprint that some of the other incarnations had. 60s Batman was referenced in pop culture for 30 years and Burton's Batman was a really big deal... not only with the movie itself but Nicholson's portrayal and how it changed how villains were cast in Hollywood, it really changed Hollywood a huge amount in terms of what roles an A list actor would take and also how Hollywood funded comic book movies and movies from other sources... Maybe it is because Nolan is an outsider instead of Hollywood player or Jewish mover and shaker but Nolan's Batman seems to culturally be sort of segregated in its own little space... kind of how Cameron's Avatar was treated. Every few years a new Nolan Batman comes out and it makes a ton of movie and people love it but Hollywood sort of ignores its impact, cuts short when possible any awards and compartmentalizes it

In answer to the thread, it all depends on who you ask, I'm sure the older casual fans will always go towards Adam West, which is the reason why in a lot of news stories (from non entertainment outlets mostly) about the films, they always seem to reference the 60's tv show.

Younger casual fans...Bale all the way, don't forget he starred as batman in (what was at the time) the highest grossing film of all time. To most young casual fans he is batman.

For me it's Bale. I love Conroy, but I'm not sure if it's quite the same. He has an unfair advantage being a voice actor and capable of playing the character for 20 years. Also, never being able to completely be allowed to fully physically embody the character.

-R

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"