Iron Man Is Robert Downey Jr. a good choice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
[FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1][/SIZE][/FONT]
http://movies.yahoo.com/mv/news/va/20060929/115952137900.html
[FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]"The Marvel characters are not just about how high they jump or how fast they fly, they're about their character flaws," Feige said. "They're about their inner demons. They're about the struggles that they go through between being a man and being a hero."[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]Downey, who has battled his fair share of inner demons, worked hard to get the role, getting in shape and even growing a goatee like the one Stark sports in the comic books.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]"In every casting announcement we've done, people in their mind's eye have their own view of it and let us know about it. We're used to it," Feige said. "The point is, we looked at everybody, and we found the best person for the role. It's as confident a casting move as we've ever done. The proof will be in the pudding, but he is Tony Stark."[/SIZE][/FONT]

looks like RDJ actually knows the character and wanted the role.

I'm really glad someone of Robert's calibre got this role, look at it this way, if a big mega star like Tom Cruise got the part, a huge chunk of the money would've gone to him and it would've been "Tom Cruise" movie not and Iron Man movie, and casting an unknown for the part wouldn't have worked because IM's not as well known as Superman or Spider-man.

RDJ is a solid Oscar nominated actor, who looks like Stark, wanted the role and even battled inner demons, like Stark

It's a little too early to tell.

I have no problem with his looks. I never expect a 100% cross-over look when comic goes to film. What I look for is the spirit of the character. For example, I feel the Toby M. as Spiderman worked out perfectly. He had the teenager aspects, the "nothing goes right for the hero" drama, and you notice, he just seemed to be Parker. On the other hand, I felt that Micheal Keaton as Batman failed. He just wasn't "dark" enough, foreboding, mentally strengthened.

As Iron Man, Downey has to fill a psychological suit. I'm sure he is aware of this...all actors should be. If he takes it serious, and the Director molds it well to the screen, should be great.

On the other hand, Iron Man, at least the first movie, should be on a magnanimous level...about the suit. Tony Stark's heart attack and story line (IMHO) shouldn't take more than 20 minutes. IF THIS OCCURS, you will be able to see the awesome power of the Iron Man. If you pull a move like Ang Lee in the Incredible Hulk, then you'll have nearly 45 minutes of...story...when all people really want is the huge green monster. (Just a note: I really appreciated how fast Rami implemented Spiderman's origin in the movie)

In summary, I am sure Downey can do the part. It's a little too early to give a thumbs up or down.

It's not if Downey Jr. can play Tony Stark.

It's if he can be Iron Man.

I'm not too sure yet about Robert Downey jr. as Tony Stark/Iron Man. He's got talent, but I mostly see him as the goof off instead of someone that can get serious and tough. It will be interesting to see how it evolves and if he can pull it off.

I like this hire, is it to early to tell, perhaps, but no one can argue his talent, he brings immense talent and range to the film, and cred, I'm very interested in what he brings to the table and how he portrays Tony.

IronMan_2005 said:
Neither did Micheal Keaton, when he was cast as Wayne and look how that turned out. Infact Wayne has always been portrayed as a 6'2" 220lbs of muscle, Keaton was 5'8" around 160 lbs, coming off Mr. Mom movie, but he pulled out a fantastic performance.

I think RDJ will do fine, besides its way too early to start saying this is a bad decision.

This is how I feel as well. Michael Keaton did an impressive job as Batman/Bruce Wayne when everyone out there said it was a bad move. Ironically, other than Christian Bale, I think Keaton was the best Batman.

RDJ is a very good actor. If he can channel his talent and not sabotage the movie with his personal issues and history of on-set antics, then I'd say we might have a very good Iron Man/Tony Stark.

I'm willing to give Jon Favreau a chance. The man is a good director, and does have a keen knowledge of comic books, superheroes in general, and Iron Man in particular. I think he knows what he's doing. I definitely have a lot more confidence in him than I did with Bryan Singer doing Superman.

r.downey.jr.jpg

Hell yeah.

I'm going for "YES".

As I said earlier, Downey is a fantastic actor. He's got serious gravitas and will bring credibility to this role for the mainstream audience. So I have no fears regarding his acting ability; he's got chops.

But I guess I am slightly concerned with his physical aesthetics. Stark is a handsome, rich playboy that every woman wants a piece of. Not saying that Robert isn't a good-looking guy, but he isn't that kind of good-looking. But I will say however, that with a stache and goatee Robert does have a striking resemblance to the character.

Overall I am very confident with the choice, with just a slight reservation. :up:

TERRIBLE CHOICE!!!

so does this mean they're going for the recent comic portrayal of tony stark as a substance abuser?

come one. downey jr's career was over in the early 90's. i was so excited about this movie and now i don't even know if i'll see it. VERY DISAPPOINTED.

dpm07 said:
This is how I feel as well. Michael Keaton did an impressive job as Batman/Bruce Wayne when everyone out there said it was a bad move. Ironically, other than Christian Bale, I think Keaton was the best Batman.

RDJ is a very good actor. If he can channel his talent and not sabotage the movie with his personal issues and history of on-set antics, then I'd say we might have a very good Iron Man/Tony Stark.

I'm willing to give Jon Favreau a chance. The man is a good director, and does have a keen knowledge of comic books, superheroes in general, and Iron Man in particular. I think he knows what he's doing. I definitely have a lot more confidence in him than I did with Bryan Singer doing Superman.

keaton may have done well in that movie, but you can't deny that it changed bruce wayne's character. i love the first two keaton movies for batman, but they don't ever feel like it's REALLY batman, just like a movie. bale felt like batman.

same thing will happen with downey jr. he might have an oscar performance, but he still won't feel like iron man. he'll feel like some good actor telling you a story about iron man but not really fitting the character.

After I saw him with a moustache, I take back what I said about him not looking like Tony Stark.

But I really hope they have the 80's moustache and not the stupid goatee!!

I'll tell you one thing: Favreau must have a pair of balls the sice of watermellons.
I had never thought of him for the role, but I admit it was damn inspired.

After seeing 'Kiss, Kiss, Bang, Bang' I know he has the acting ability and personal life experience to pull off the role.
I never expected him to be picked, as I view him as a less-sauve and more comedic/sarcastic actor, but right now I think he could work out well.

Long time Iron Man fan (have ALL the comics) and i'm happy with this so far.

I've had a lot of time to think about it now and NO i dont think he is right at all. But, i'm willing to see what they do with it.

I wonder when Advanced Dark is going to start all the gay audience posts.

Wonderful, I voted yes.

Btw, I'm not sure focusing on the suit (and less on Stark) is the greatest idea. None of us want to see another "Tuxedo."

Advanced Dark said:
Great choice. Period. This is Marvel protecting their first studio film. They're going for the best choices on all sides.

I cringed when I first heard this choice but the more I thought about it the more I like it. Robert Downey Jr. brings depth to any role and he certainly looks the part of troubled playboy genius.

Thumbs up from me. :up:

IronMan_2005 said:
http://movies.yahoo.com/mv/news/va/20060929/115952137900.html

looks like RDJ actually knows the character and wanted the role.

RDJ is a solid Oscar nominated actor, who looks like Stark, wanted the role and even battled inner demons, like Stark

The last time I saw Downey on Leno he was wearing a Silver Surfer T-shirt. So, he's a Marvel fanboy on some level. Good Call Here.

I am on record saying I thought casting Chiklis as Thing was inspired casting. I believe this is along those same inspired lines.

I come at it from a different perspective, as I was reading the character before he was a recovering, troubled whatever he's become. Basically before he was, I admit, a multidimensional character. I was of a shallower time period that just thought the suit was cool and liked him for that.

I really think however this has the potential to be really good. Downey's never been my favorite but he adds depth to it for me now. I never saw Tom Cruise in that role. I just didn't see it.

He's known as a great actor and he looks like Tony Stark, imo.
Great casting. :up:

Robert Downey Jr. as Iron Man.......I can dig itl:up:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"