Is Robert Downey Jr. a good choice?

Discussion in 'Iron Man' started by Gotendbz-2, Sep 28, 2006.

?

Is Robert Downey Jr. a good choice?

1. Yes

2. No

3. It's too early to tell

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ironfan72

Ironfan72 Golden Avenger

The problem is not everyone is going to be happy with who ever they picked, if Tom Cruise would have been picked, we would have a board full of people whinning that he's too short, and he's mentally unstable. Everyone had a idea in there head of what actor should be Tony Stark, I liked Jim Caveziel, but I am just as happy with Robert, he's a talented actor, pobably one of the most talented in Hollywood, if not for his personal demons he'd be a Oscar nominee more offen, give the guy a chance.
    I remember people complaining about Hugh Jackman, he's too tall, Toby Magaire, and most recently Topher Grace, so its way to early to say he's a bad choice, he acts as though that he really wanted the role and with a actor of his talent is this excited about a role, his performance should be outstanding.

2. Weadazoid

Weadazoid Well-Known Member

Well this is kinda the same route they went with with Batman 89' a former comedian who is kinda short in stature but has matured into a very good serious actor. I think it is a good choice an interesting choice indeed. Robert tells us a couple things just in the casting. While this will be a comic book movie it will be a in my opinion a very mature comic book movie. This is the first casting by Marvel of a lead that is very mature to begin with Robert is no kid. It is the compleate opposite of the route they went with Superman casting a big good looking unknown and I like it.

3. xwolverine2

xwolverine2 Arkham Assassin

i agree....

robert as iron now has me excited..... before this i didnt give a crap about this movie because i dont like jon (as a director).. but now theres hope.

4. Nightwing 52

Nightwing 52 Things change

Downey is a great choice. First and foremost, he is a very good actor. He was excellent in Chaplin, and portrayed him brilliantly. Downey, is one of the best actors out there. He instantly brings a level of professionalism and talent to any project, including this one.

Downey has played a murderous and psychotic criminal, a self indulgent Australian reporter, and Edward Murrow's fellow journalist Joe Wershba in Good Night and Good Luck. He has tremendous acting skill. It's guaranteed he'll breath life into Tony very well.

5. xwolverine2

xwolverine2 Arkham Assassin

he was good in Gothika......... who stared halle berry...... who played storm in x-men....

marvel is really starting to tie franchises together:eek:......

:( baby steps

6. halfapple

halfapple Well-Known Member

I voted No.

But.......after looking at this photo, and thinking about Roberts past bad history. It just might work.

If Robert can dishout his real life demons on screen (Tony's drinking issues) this could make it more believeable.

But the thought of Robert Downey Jr. becoming Tony Stark/ The Iron Man never ever never crossed my mind.

He has just done more comedian roles from what I've seen in the past.

He has his accomplishments as an actor and some people enjoy his movies, but I've never really cared for them or those movies.

I donno.... it might work.

Maybe everything that he has done in the past has just naturally prepared him for this role as The IronMan.

I hope Robert doesnt let us down - this could possibly just be what he was ment to become actor wise /shrug.

Tony Stark, The Iron Man.

7. halfapple

halfapple Well-Known Member

nt / accident lagg double post - sorry.

8. Weapon M

Weapon M Secret Master Assassin

I think he might be a great role for Iron Man seeing as how Tony Stark's character demands depth.

9. Kirk Langstrom

Kirk Langstrom FRANCINE!!!!

Lol, that's awesome! :woot: :up:

10. Namor

Namor The Sub-Mariner

TOTALLY AGREE. :up::up:

11. Tony Stark

Tony Stark Armored Avenger!

Based on what? Downey isn't exactly a box office draw, and the arthouse crowd that would normally go to his pictures probably aren't going to be drawn to a comic book film. Even if they are it's not going to equal box office numbers.

The fact is the key demographic for this movie, is probably going to be turned off to this guy. This was a guy who was given opportunity after opportunity and failed. He was fired from Alley McBeal for crying out loud.

To me this is just like Terrell Owens going to the Cowboys, he might be the most talented guy out there, but he causes nothing but trouble.

I certainly hope I'm wrong.

12. 7Hells

7Hells Well-Known Member

Thats my point. Normally they wouldnt go and see a comic book film but they will because he is in it. And if they like it they might check out the other ones. We can only hope they check out the right "other" ones :p

13. Hellrider

Hellrider Well-Known Member

Robert Downey jr. is a great actor, versitile, and imaginative. Better a great name actor, then a good unknown actor. So far it is a yes from me. :D

14. LadyVader

LadyVader Smile like you mean it.

15. LadyVader

LadyVader Smile like you mean it.

I for one am rather satisfied that we won't get a superhero that is in his late twenties, has a greek god's physique and a squeaky clean personality. This movie could introduce a whole new breed of superhero, but it must have a strong script and a good plot to rely on. Downey's acting chops are not gonna cut it.

16. ObakeTora

ObakeTora vThe "real" Ghost-Tiger!v

well he does have experience drinking and doing drugs. Funny he was the choice in the back of my mind, but after getting smacked up by Mike Tyson in that film I wonder if he has the same resolve as the real Tony to handle himself in a fight. I think its too early to tell, but hell be fine. Now on to the Punisher boards.

17. porchmonkey408

porchmonkey408 Well-Known Member

Dude. I never thought of Downey, Jr. till now. They just have to give him glasses and slick hair and he'd be perfect.

Amazing actor as well.

CHAPLIN owns.

18. The guy just isn't stark for me. i liked chaplin and he's been in some good stuff, but he just doesn't seem suited for the role. yes, casting could have been worse, and the tom cruise comment was harsh. i just wanted someone that is tony stark as bale is batman or as much tom jane is the punisher. i don't need any outstanding stats like oscar nominations or golden globes, just iron man.

19. Substance D

Substance D Well-Known Member

after seeing all the manips with him with a goatee, he'd make a perfect doctor strange.

20. Uncanny

Uncanny Well-Known Member

Robert Downey Jr does not look or seem like a lady man, like Tony is in the comics. Tony should be play by someone in there early 30s. As Iron Man, can Robert Downey Jr be cool, fun, and hip for the young people of today who go the the movies?

21. kedrell

kedrell Fork&SpoonOperator

I always thought Johnny Depp was better suited for Strange.

22. eXperiment

eXperiment ...gone wrong.

he'll be great, they wouldn't have picked him if he wasn't

23. WhatsHisFace

WhatsHisFace Well-Known Member

No. Robert Downey Jr. is too old, too ugly, has a crappy voice... ugh. He's SUCH a bad choice... this is terrible.

I would have taken ANYONE, but not this Hollywood-ized joke of an actor with a terrible record.

24. RedIsNotBlue

RedIsNotBlue Agree to disagree

1. Too old? Not really. Age doesn't really matter its HOW OLD YOU LOOK. Downey can still pass for a guy in his 30's on film.

2. Too ugly? See sig.

3. Crappy voice? How?? Didn't know Tony Stark had a specific voice.

Joke of an actor?? Terrible record?? As in his movie record or what he has done in his life? If I remember correctly he was an Academy Award Nominee for Best Actor in Chaplin and also has won a Golden Globe award. This is bad how?? And if your referring to his personal life it mirrors Tony Starks who himself battles with addiction.

25. Kilva

Kilva Guest

Very bad cast, I don't like Robert Downey Jr... I don't pay money in a cinema to see this poor actor... Tony Stark can't be played for this actor... he don't have the necessary glamour to be a multmillionarie playboy..... is this election a way to make the movie more cheap? Sure that a lot of young and unknow actors can make a great job....

As you can see i'm very angry..... :oldrazz:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.