Is Smallville's version of Lex is better than movie's version of Lex

Michael Rosenbaum is the finest portrayal of Lex Luthor ever, IMO.

I think Hackman's potrayal is dated, however it was good at the time.

I think Spacey portrayed the same version of Lex in a much better way, but it still wasn't what Lex should be.

Rosenbaum has given a great portrayal as Lex but with a better version to work with.

Smallville's Lex is only surpassed by Animated Series' Lex.

-R

Hard to beat the animated series Lex when he was voiced by Clancy Brown... the guy has a wonderful speaking voice, but I think MR is the best live-action Lex ever.

SV's Lex is definitely the best live action performance of the character.
I only hope that one day we see an older version of this type of Lex going toe to toe with the Man of Steel (although a different villain in a Superman movie would be a very welcome change!) in a movie.

With all due respect to Gene Hackman and Kevin Spacey, not only do I like Rosenbaum's Lex more I actually liked John Shea's Lex more than the movies.
I could not agree more. I dislike the "goofy yet dangerous" Lex. I think Sinister Lex is perfect. I loved John Shea's portrayal, and I think M.Rosenbaum makes a terrific job. One thing nevertheless, I have the impression M.Rosenbaum has reached his limits. We saw him evolve troghout the serie, so perhaps I'm getting used to it, but I hope Rosenbaum has still things in store for Lex. :up:

Gene Hackman's Lex was horrible.

Honestly - him and his merry gang of idiots ruined Donnor's two Superman movies. (Superman 2,3 and 4 ruined themselves).

Kevin Spacey's Luthor WAS quite good - yet it still had to retain some of the camp from Hackman's and thus it wasn't as good as it COULD of been.

Michael Rosenbaum is just so incredibly brilliant. He is Brian Azzarello's Lex Luthor brought to life.

And I love the show for that.

The lex on smallville still doesnt have any motivation to find an enemy in superman. Its clark he hates and hell never know who the two are. personally its not fair to compare since Lex had a series to show his character on smallville. Spacey and Hackman had a few movies. Personally John Shea(sp?) was the best incarnation of lex in all live action. This character had no prior history to superman and the conflict came in superman challenging lex's reason for being. But whats great is that he rarely showed signs of anger. And even when he failed he saw the good in it for him.

Honestly - him and his merry gang of idiots ruined Donnor's two Superman movies. (Superman 2,3 and 4 ruined themselves).
Hey, I thought Superman 2 was great anyway, wasn't it ?
I've never thought about this before but, I realize that B.Singer could have used the genius of Keyser Soze in Lex Luthor. It wouldn't have hurt IMO.
The lex on smallville still doesnt have any motivation to find an enemy in superman.
I agree. That's what I said earlier, I think it lacks a step in the evolution of Rosenbaum's Luthor.I sincerly hope we will see this final step one day! :up:

of course he'll have motivation to hate Superman. Everything he's jealous of Clark for having, the love, respect, and adoration he gets are the some of the same things Lex hates Superman for. Lex will hate Superman for having things that he cant have even with his immense wealth and persuasion. That's paralleled on the show in how Lex cant have the types of relationships with people that Clark has. That's basically the gist of the Superman/Lex conflict, in that Lex, no matter how powerful he makes himself, will NEVER be as powerful as Superman, and Superman is much more respected for it, hence the reason Lex is always trying to defame him. If you havent seen that building for the past 7 years on the show, you just havent been paying attention.

of course he'll have motivation to hate Superman. Everything he's jealous of Clark for having, the love, respect, and adoration he gets are the some of the same things Lex hates Superman for. Lex will hate Superman for having things that he cant have even with his immense wealth and persuasion. That's paralleled on the show in how Lex cant have the types of relationships with people that Clark has. That's basically the gist of the Superman/Lex conflict, in that Lex, no matter how powerful he makes himself, will NEVER be as powerful as Superman, and Superman is much more respected for it, hence the reason Lex is always trying to defame him. If you havent seen that building for the past 7 years on the show, you just havent been paying attention.

QFT :up:

They don't show why he'll hate Superman because he's not really a character on the show, but his hatred of Clark is certainly a parallel to what his hatred for Superman will be. Also, Superman is gonna be messing up Lex's plan just like GA and his crew have been. He hates them for that now, and he'll hate Superman for that in the future.

:( well, I think I like "soulless action camp that pales to the beauty of the original film" in this case. I like it even more thatn the first one.
Back on topic M.Rosenbaum's Lex rocks ! :up:

Michael Rosenbaum is the finest portrayal of Lex Luthor ever, IMO.
sorority_boys003.jpg

He certainly made the best looking chick in that movie.

What movie was that from?

Ps. I think that it'd be really fun if they reinvented the superman movies, sorta the way they did with Batman.... Could be good to throw a fresh vision into the line of films, probably with better results and better acting than when we try to rehash and remake soeone else's vision.

Okay here is my thought.
MR's Lex is very good, I like the fact that he is a man with power (with that I mean he has money and he owns a good part of Smallville).
Now I am taking nothing away from Hackman, and Spacey I thought there Lex's were good.

Someone said on here that Gene's Lex wasn't evil, I beg to differ. In the first movie Lex killed a cop by pushing him into a train, then sent out two rockets one to Cali and the other one to New Jersey and if the would've hit it would have killed thousands. Gene Hackman's Lex was also smart, without even talking to Superman he calculated the estimated time it took for pieces of Krypton had falling to earth, and he calculated the time that Krypton blew up, so it does sound like he was pretty smart.

So to answer the question, yes I think in some area's SV's Lex is better then the movie Lex, but in the other areas I feel that movie Lex's are better than SV Lex.

I'm divided on the issue. This season Lex seems to go all the way evil, killing people and manipulating everything and everyone to get what he wants.

But then there is last season too, where he was running after Lana's skirt. The real Lex Luthor would have taken his revenge on her by now for setting him up and stealing his money.

I'm divided on the issue. This season Lex seems to go all the way evil, killing people and manipulating everything and everyone to get what he wants.

But then there is last season too, where he was running after Lana's skirt. The real Lex Luthor would have taken his revenge on her by now for setting him up and stealing his money.

Luthor is inconsistent in Smallville but he is in the comics as well so its not really surprising. Smallville isn't going to have Lex kill off Lana for real.

Luthor is inconsistent in Smallville but he is in the comics as well so its not really surprising. Smallville isn't going to have Lex kill off Lana for real.
I actually didn't mean kill off. Even in the comics Lex's revenge doesn't mean death. It could be finacial ruin, set up to take the fall etc.

my point is that he didn't react to that at all. Even if he wasn't Lex Luthor but any ordinary Joe, he would still want to punish the person who did those things to him.

I actually didn't mean kill off. Even in the comics Lex's revenge doesn't mean death. It could be finacial ruin, set up to take the fall etc.

my point is that he didn't react to that at all. Even if he wasn't Lex Luthor but any ordinary Joe, he would still want to punish the person who did those things to him.

Its smallville I learn to not expect much from the writers of the show. I mean Lex has been knocked unconscious about 40 times since the show began, I wouldn't be surprised if he had some sort of long term memory loss.

I really do love rosenbaum as lex. The goofy shenanagans really threw me off in the movies. I much prefer the LexCorp, scheming from his ivory tower type of lex. I think smallville has established as Lex as a criminal mastermind at this point. I can certainly see him cooking up a plot. But it hasn't quite displayed his scientific intelligence at this point. which kinda depresses me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"