World Gene Hackmans "Lex Luthor" is NOT the definitive version of the character

NotFadeAway

Superhero
Reaction score
I would like to take this time and place to say that the Gene Hackman portrayal of Lex Luthor in the beloved Superman: The movie(1978) was far, very far, from the definitive version of Lex Luthor, and should NOT be used as a template for any Lex Luthor, including Kevin Spacey in the upcoming Superman Returns(2006). God willing he won't be campy, that he truly is a sadistic sociopath, and there is an ownage thread with my name on it.

Hackman, although a fine actor in his own right, portrayed perhaps the worst villian in super hero film history, tied with the Green Goblin performance from Willem Dafoe and any of the villians from Batman Forever and Batman and Robin. That is NOT Lex Luthor, it might have been in the 70's, but it isn't now, and it should never be again. When referencing Lex, everyone should refrain from using Hackman's Lex as an example. Michael Rosebaum, Sherman Howard, and John Shea's version of Lex Luthor have far exceeded this horrible portrayal. Do not base what Lex Luthor should be off the 78 film. Its irritating and insulting.

Thats my opinion, and I wanted to share it. Close the thread if you will, or feel free to bash Hackman's Lex right here in this thread. And don't even get me started on Lois Lane from the 78 film.

Did you just say Lex Luthor is the worst Villain in Superhero FILM history???

John Shea's Lex > Every other Lex, and you know it. ;)

I cant agree more. Luthor's come along way since 1978. Hackman's campy, over the top Luthor is a thing that should stay in the past. I just hope Spacey felt the same way, though judging from some of the trailers, I'm not so sure.

No kidding. Lex has been played so many different ways, more so than anyone who has played Clark and Superman, which has pretty much remained constant.

Hackman was a huge star when this movie came out, and played the role a bit too comedic for some tastes. But his role came out wayyy before the whole "Trump Hitler" evil buisness tycoon version of his character. The guy used to be a bald Mad Scientist who thought he was the worlds smartest man, who hated Superman because he made him bald. After 78, Lex got a sharper edge in the comics, then his later portrayals.

I'm sure SR's Lex will be Kevin Spaceys version of Lex, not Hackmans role revisited.

i dont think Hackman's portrayal should be taken seriously period.

he was playing for camp. it wa the 70s. everybody knew that.

BrollySupersj said:
Did you just say Lex Luthor is the worst Villain in Superhero FILM history???

No I didn't.....I said he is TIED for worst with The Green Goblin and any Joel Shumacker(sp) Batman villian.

And Clancy Brown in TAS rules, while Michael Rosenbaum is the best live action Lex, and he has barely touched the surface of his evil. Screw Tom Welling in a movie, I want fully evil Rosenbaum.

I think Mr. Spacey's Lex is a mixture of the humour from S:TM and some bitter twisted evil that's never been shown on screen before.

I mean come on, Spacey doesn't put a peice of Kryptonite on his neck and drop him in a swimming pool in this film. He lures Superman
to a toxic kryptonite laced Island, where he is weakened, beats the s#!t out of him, taunts him, grinds a Kryptonite shiv in his back, then dumps him into kryptonite laced waters to drown
. I dont know about you, but that doesn't sound campy.

I think we should probably see the film before judging Spacey's portrayal of Lex. Guessing there will probably be Lex scenes that we haven't seen yet in trailers. Just a hunch.

Remember this when your a genious on the verge of madness all i can say is that you might be a little bit of a smartass plus you WILL HAVE A CHIP on your shoulder so yea i think Spacey is gonna nail this perfect

Im all for Spacey defining himself as the best Lex Luthor so far...

Just wait for it.... :)

Kane said:
Im all for Spacey defining himself as the best Lex Luthor so far...

Just wait for it.... :)

i agree with you there 100% :up:

the main problem i see with spaces lex is the fact through the trailers is that lexs want billions to die, lex has been more about control than kill people unncessarily. i think the comic lex luthor man of steel defines lex best. he see himself as the pinnacle of what man should be and superman as a threat to that idea of his. also the fact that lex swindles a woman for her billions is more of a hackman lex than say the comic lex, i would have rather lex use the crystal tech to rebuild lex corp from the ground up and sway people that he is helping everyone with his new found freedom. As for a definte lex version smallvile lex and the cartoon lex come off as best.

Hackman was great as lex luthor. it's otis that was the problem. Stop bashing hackman or I'll show you my long arm.

It isn't just Hackman Im bashing, Im also bashing how the character was written.

Thunder Emperor said:
the main problem i see with spaces lex is the fact through the trailers is that lexs want billions to die, lex has been more about control than kill people unncessarily. i think the comic lex luthor man of steel defines lex best. he see himself as the pinnacle of what man should be and superman as a threat to that idea of his. also the fact that lex swindles a woman for her billions is more of a hackman lex than say the comic lex, i would have rather lex use the crystal tech to rebuild lex corp from the ground up and sway people that he is helping everyone with his new found freedom. As for a definte lex version smallvile lex and the cartoon lex come off as best.

I also share your views.......

Thunder Emperor said:
i would have rather lex use the crystal tech to rebuild lex corp from the ground up and sway people that he is helping everyone with his new found freedom. As for a definte lex version smallvile lex and the cartoon lex come off as best.

But Lex can't "rebuild himself from the ground up" in this continuity, despite his crystals. He's notorious ex-con with a reputation for being a loon. And he's got an obvious overwhelming hatred for Superman.

Nivek said:
But Lex can't "rebuild himself from the ground up" in this continuity, despite his crystals. He's notorious ex-con with a reputation for being a loon. And he's got an obvious overwhelming hatred for Superman.

Thats the main problem I have with using the old conitinuity, they have to fit everything within those guidelines.

Well we won't be getting the three stooges Lex luthor, I hope. Clowning around with some doofus like otis isn't what I like to see. lex is very serious and evil. I think everyone but me misconcieves how hackman portrayed his lex luthor. They call him car salesman, or campy, but he's not. He's extremely self-absorbed and power hungry, and has no mercy for anyone and a nasty temper. That and he's a master con-man and a genius type of villian who enjoys a good challenge while making history that will be remembered forever. nothing wrong with that.

There is no definitive Lex only which one you like best

Nivek said:
yes he can use krytonian tech, to help rebuild metroplois to win peoples favor back, then it will be really a world without superman .when you have lex taking care of the everyday problems with his tech nology and his billions from there. but i guess you do have a point and with sticking with the continuity lex cannot full progress to the character he really is. a guinus of epic proportions who doesn't need to swindle you for you billions. reemebr this is a man that maed a deal with darkseid in the comics. I mean DARKSEID.

Well, if they were really going to rehash Hackman's crappy Lex, how funny would Jeremy Piven have been. I mean, Hackman was trying to be funny, but he just wasn't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"