World Gene Hackmans "Lex Luthor" is NOT the definitive version of the character

Michael Rosenbaum is the DEFINITIVE Lex Luthor!!! His Lex has the intelligence, the wit, the baldness, and best of all....the evil!!!

Superman/Lex Luthor = Batman/Joker

Batman/Ra's Al Ghul = Superman/Darkseid

Jlandsw said:
Michael Rosenbaum is the DEFINITIVE Lex Luthor!!! His Lex has the intelligence, the wit, the baldness, and best of all....the evil!!!

Rosenbaums Lex does have the " wit " for Lex I agree. The guy just flat out puts you down to your face. I loved it when he called Lois a " muffin pedaling drop out ".......And by the way, do you have banana blueberry.

what i think is good about this lex is that he is ****ing insane. and the adults know that. on the other hand the kids think he is an evil funny guy. do you understand where i am coming from?

this is superman. it is lighter than any other superhero. and it has to be for kids. we can nto have a to serious villain. and i think that this lex is good for adults and kids.

I like each Lex Luthor portrayal for its own specific differences. Rosenbaum and Glover are the only bright spots on an otherwise dismal show. This is mainly based on the strength of their acting, and also due to the character development done for each. I enjoy Rosenbaum's Luthor because he portrays him in a very articulate and calculating manner. I felt indifferent about Shea's portrayal in Lois and Clark because he never seemed like a true threat. He more or less came across as an uppity wiener who belonged on Sex and the City. Hackman's portrayal is also one of my favorites because it masked undertones of an inherently sociopathic nature, but they painted it up to look all nice by '70s standards. Rather than being deadpan cold like Rosenbaum's character, Hackman's Luthor was a smartass who never showed an ounce of fear at a man who could squash him 36 ways to Sunday. Take for example, the scene at Luthor's lair. Superman breaks down the door, and rather than hiding, Luthor quips: "my attorney will be in contact with you about the door." If I had a metahuman demigod shatter a steel door coming after me, I'd have pissed myself before he even looked at me. Lex just spends time hanging out with Superman before he tricks him into dropping the rock on himself. The only flaw is that they saddled Lex with absolute morons as sidekicks. But if you ask me, that's the only way they could make it so Superman could escape the clutches of someone who is leagues smarter than he is. I'd like to see Spacey's Luthor be a marriage of Rosenbaum, Brown's, and Hackman's performance and just play off the strengths of each.

venom420 said:
Rosenbaums Lex does have the " wit " for Lex I agree. The guy just flat out puts you down to your face. I loved it when he called Lois a " muffin pedaling drop out ".......And by the way, do you have banana blueberry.

HAHA, that was the best. I love how Lois and Lex don't like each other, that's awesome.

KaptainKrypton said:
I like each Lex Luthor portrayal for its own specific differences. Rosenbaum and Glover are the only bright spots on an otherwise dismal show. This is mainly based on the strength of their acting, and also due to the character development done for each. I enjoy Rosenbaum's Luthor because he portrays him in a very articulate and calculating manner. I felt indifferent about Shea's portrayal in Lois and Clark because he never seemed like a true threat. He more or less came across as an uppity wiener who belonged on Sex and the City. Hackman's portrayal is also one of my favorites because it masked undertones of an inherently sociopathic nature, but they painted it up to look all nice by '70s standards. Rather than being deadpan cold like Rosenbaum's character, Hackman's Luthor was a smartass who never showed an ounce of fear at a man who could squash him 36 ways to Sunday. Take for example, the scene at Luthor's lair. Superman breaks down the door, and rather than hiding, Luthor quips: "my attorney will be in contact with you about the door." If I had a metahuman demigod shatter a steel door coming after me, I'd have pissed myself before he even looked at me. Lex just spends time hanging out with Superman before he tricks him into dropping the rock on himself. The only flaw is that they saddled Lex with absolute morons as sidekicks. But if you ask me, that's the only way they could make it so Superman could escape the clutches of someone who is leagues smarter than he is. I'd like to see Spacey's Luthor be a marriage of Rosenbaum, Brown's, and Hackman's performance and just play off the strengths of each.

a bloody men.

Co-sizzled on this. :eek: Finally someone else who appreciates the great Hackman's work.

The best interpretation of Lex (IMO) was in STAS/JL/JLU.

best indeed, but not the end all be all of lex luthors inmyopinion

Onyx_Alexander16.jpg

The only live action Lex to wear the Kryptonite ring!!!!!:up:

I just love how the post crisis Lex makes the Hackman Lex wrong retroactively, and that Kidder's Lois sucked because she wasn't some eye-candy sex symbol like Terri Hatcher.

Clancy Brown/Timmverse LEX OWNS ALL!!!!!

Hackman is a very good actor, but his interpretion of the character was horrible, and his look thosen look good! to me Telly Savalas should be Luthor, he was a great actor, and have the personality and the charisma to made a Great perfect Luthor, see him in The Dirty Dozen madeing an amazing work as a crazy fanatic religious!

IMO I thought Hackman's Luthor was terrific, and I've still to see a better version. I personally liked the way he played it, because he was evil, yet comical and in some ways likeable. :up:

The villian shouldn't be likable in a super hero film.........thats what the hero is for.

venom420 said:
The villian shouldn't be likable in a super hero film.........thats what the hero is for.

Yes, in your opinion, but a lot of people like it when the villain isn't just a
2-dimensional baddie, like they were in the old silent movies, where there was a very defined good guy and a very obvious bad guy.

venom420 said:

Of course the villain should be likable, or at least somewhat sympathetic. A good villain should have depth and a reason for doing what they do.

Anyway, I liked Hackman's Luthor. I personally like Luthor having a bit of a sense of humor.

wow....most of you have no understanding of hackmans luthor at all

yes...i do....because i realize that, aside from the wigs, there was NOTHING CAMPY about Hackmans luthor.

"it might have been in the 70's, but it isn't now,"

Hold it right there. So you're saying just because Lex has been changed in the comics since then, that makes Superman: The Movie's Lex wrong? So what if they decided later on to make Superman female and human, would that make all past versions wrong too?

thats another problem i have with people criticizing hackmans lex...

they compare him to a version that wasnt made until 1986.

That's the problem unfortunately. A lot of people's criticisms are "it isn't like post crisis" even though that era didn't exist until years after Superman: The Movie. And Lex IS a sadistic sociopath. Are all sadistic sociopaths not allowed to have a sense of humor? I mean, that's more realistic isn't it? That they don't go around acting all grim all the time.

And Kidder's performance didn't suck. She might not have been attractive to you, but she was a good Lois.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"