Is there still a general longing to see mcu take on X-men

Haha, awesome. :hehe:

I’ve got popcorn cravings suddenly lol (sugar and salt mixed). Will get it in about a week anyway with Marvels.
I'm gonna try the TeXas Bbq flavor for the first time when I watch The Marvels, since bbq flavor isn't my type when it comes to snacks. Butter and Sour Cream Cheddar are always my go to choice. I had cheese flavor last Wednesday.

I'm gonna try the TeXas Bbq flavor for the first time when I watch The Marvels, since bbq flavor isn't my type when it comes to snacks. Butter and Sour Cream Cheddar are always my go to choice. I had cheese flavor last Wednesday.
No joke but I’ve been massively craving cinema popcorn ever since these posts and finally get to consume it in large quantities in a couple of hours when I see Marvels. :D

I think the only truly good X-Men movies are Days of Future Past and Logan. The original X-Men, X2 and First Class were ok for their time but I don't think they've aged very well. There's tons of room for improvement.

I think X2 aged better than almost any other superhero film of that era. Maybe not quite on the level of Nolan's Batman, but that's the only real competition imo.

X1, on the other hand, aged worse than almost any other superhero film of the era, unfortunately.

How does a movie not "age well"? I can understand that term for something like video games, but seems like an odd thing to say about movies, unless you're just talking about special effects.

How does a movie not "age well"? I can understand that term for something like video games, but seems like an odd thing to say about movies, unless you're just talking about special effects.
Lots of ways. Subject matter, humor, culture, etc..

If we're specifically talking about the MCU, a movie may not age well if it's dependent on watching a bunch of other movies like say Civil War. Another way is the hype. Some movies like the 1st Avengers movie had a lot of hype going into it, to the point that people may be more forgiving of it's flaws. But over time, after the hype is gone, those flaws may be more aparent on later rewatches.

Last edited:
I think X2 aged better than almost any other superhero film of that era. Maybe not quite on the level of Nolan's Batman, but that's the only real competition imo.

X1, on the other hand, aged worse than almost any other superhero film of the era, unfortunately.

Totally agreed with you on X2, but I argue that X1 aged pretty well too. What’s the criticism with it?

The only wonky bit that sticks out to me is Logan spinning on the Statue of Liberty. The script is still sharp/tight—even with the infamous “do you know what happens to a toad when it’s struck by lightning“ line lol

Totally agreed with you on X2, but I argue that X1 aged pretty well too. What’s the criticism with it?

The only wonky bit that sticks out to me is Logan spinning on the Statue of Liberty. The script is still sharp/tight—even with the infamous “do you know what happens to a toad when it’s struck by lightning“ line lol

I don't have an exhaustive list off the top of my head since it's been a few years since the last time I watched it, but just some of things I remember:

Sabretooth is awful both visually and performance wise. Toad was ok at best (ditto for the lightning, as mentioned). All the stuff with Logan making fun of Cyclops just makes me cringe at this point (there was still some of that in X2 but way less). Mystique felt way less interesting in the first movie (and the Logan/Mystique fight at the end feels particularly bland). Magneto's plan is pretty bizarre for such a generally grounded character (at least in the fox movies) and seems pretty obviously pointless even if it works. Also, just in plain general visual terms the second movie is so much more visually creative and arresting than the first that the first one feels kind of dull in comparison. Even the third one feels kind of visually cooler than the first, despite all the crap that went wrong/was done very badly with it.

And in addition to all of that, the Fox black leather outfits themselves have aged really poorly, imo, which hurts the first movie way more than the second since the second had Nightcrawler in a major role to distract you from the aggressive lack of color.

After 11 movies by FOX, Marvel Studios should have a pretty good idea of what not to do.

Don't overdo Wolverine and don't waste Scott and Ororo are I guess important if obvious guidelines but not much for making a good movie let alone a series.

I think the only truly good X-Men movies are Days of Future Past and Logan. The original X-Men, X2 and First Class were ok for their time but I don't think they've aged very well. There's tons of room for improvement.

I loved the first film and particularly feel its special effects were and still have been way too overlooked.

I know I'm unusual but I loved its mix of intimate and epic, a lot of people refer to it as television-ish, I think that's at least fine even in itself (probably pretty inevitable when having a big cast) and I interpret it more as being open-ended introduction.

Lots of ways. Subject matter, humor, culture, etc..

If we're specifically talking about the MCU, a movie may not age well if it's dependent on watching a bunch of other movies like say Civil War. Another way is the hype. Some movies like the 1st Avengers movie had a lot of hype going into it, to the point that people may be more forgiving of it's flaws. But over time, after the hype is gone, those flaws may be more aparent on later rewatches.

I don't think humor or even culture overall, at least as generally reflected in big movies, tends to change much in 20 years, maybe in 30 and probably definitely noticeable, but probably still not bothersome, by 40.

There is a bit to that it doesn't have much action, just pretty brief parts, until the end, but I think what is there is still pretty impressive (and more recent movies usually don't have that much more, let alone that is vital or improves the film much) and I think the characterizations are still quite good.

I don't have an exhaustive list off the top of my head since it's been a few years since the last time I watched it, but just some of things I remember:

Sabretooth is awful both visually and performance wise. Toad was ok at best.

Sabretooh was disappointing, a low part, and Mystique could have been better but I thought Toad (who did and does benefit a bit from low expectations) was great.

All the stuff with Logan making fun of Cyclops just makes me cringe at this point (there was still some of that in X2 but way less).

How different is that from the jokes at Captain America's expense?

I don't think humor or even culture overall, at least as generally reflected in big movies, tends to change much in 20 years, maybe in 30 and probably definitely noticeable, but probably still not bothersome, by 40.
There's a lot of movies from the 00s that looking back haven't aged that well and some are pretty cringe.

I just have a hard time seeing film-making and storytelling as "objectively improving" over time in a way where "not aging well" makes a whole lot of sense as a term. Outside of special effects, it feels more like it just has ups and downs over time (and even modern special effects have their downsides).

Maybe something like "doesn't jive with modern sensibilities" would be more appropriate, sounds like less of a biased way of putting it.

Hmm. I don't think the black leather costumes have aged poorly. Leather costumes are very 2000s. But we know in the world of fashion, leather clothing could make a comeback or at least in film costumes. Its hard to predict if after 20 years, those leather costumes wouldn't look as dated as the more colorful costumes we see in Marvel movies.

I will not call the leather costumes dated. They just look quite monotone compare to the superhero costumes we see in mcu movies. The X-Men costumes in First Class/Apocalypse/Dark PhoeniX aren't very slick, and they look more cosplay compare to the leather costumes in the original trilogy.

How different is that from the jokes at Captain America's expense?

I would say its actually very different because the MCU went out of its way to make the audience love Captain America and never gave the impression he was getting the short end of the banter, whereas Fox treated Cyclops like the eternal stick in the mud and the deserved butt of the joke first, last and always.

Hmm. I don't think the black leather costumes have aged poorly. Leather costumes are very 2000s. But we know in the world of fashion, leather clothing could make a comeback or at least in film costumes. Its hard to predict if after 20 years, those leather costumes wouldn't look as dated as the more colorful costumes we see in Marvel movies.

I will not call the leather costumes dated. They just look quite monotone compare to the superhero costumes we see in mcu movies. The X-Men costumes in First Class/Apocalypse/Dark PhoeniX aren't very slick, and they look more cosplay compare to the leather costumes in the original trilogy.

I will agree Fox never got the uniforms right, even in color. Deadpool did them the best, ironically, but there's still plenty of room for improvement.

Last edited:
I would say its actually very different because the MCU went out of its way to make the audience love Captain America and never gave the impression he was getting the short end of the banter, whereas Fox treated Cyclops like the eternal stick in the mud and the deserved butt of the joke first, last and always.

I will agree Fox never got the uniforms right, even in color. Deadpool did them the best, ironically, but there's still plenty of room for improvement.
The fact that Cap worked and is many people’s MCU favourite is part of the reason why the whole MCU worked IMO. It would have still done ok as only the RDJ show but not reached the same heights. By contrast I wonder what proportion of the GA would list Fox Cyclops as their favourite over Wolverine.

I will not call the leather costumes dated. They just look quite monotone compare to the superhero costumes we see in mcu movies.

I wonder how many people who complain the costumes were too Matrix-y (and yeah maybe they were but that's not exactly inappropriate) still love to revisit The Matrix and gush that that movie, including the costumes, was so cutting edge or even ahead of its time.

My main criticism about the leather costumes, though how the costumes of Cyclops, Iceman and the Wolverine just looked the same. With Colossus, they just removed the sleeves. They looked very uniformed. I think Jean, Rogue and Kitty also had the same leather costume just with different pipe colors in their costumes (Red for Jean, Pink for Kitty, Green for Rogue). While Storm was only a bit different because of the cape. While Beast's X3 costume looked out of place compare to the rest. The Ultimate X-Men costumes had the same color scheme/theme but the costumes aren't very samey. It should have served as an inspiration for the costume designer of those films.

I forgot to mention the costume in Dark PhoeniX looked very "X-Men staff member in an office", didn't feel very inspired, and looked quite cheap compare to the X-Men's leather costumes.

I wonder how many people who complain the costumes were too Matrix-y (and yeah maybe they were but that's not exactly inappropriate) still love to revisit The Matrix and gush that that movie, including the costumes, was so cutting edge or even ahead of its time.

I love the Matrix (one of my favorite movies of all time) but I don't think that look works very well at all in pretty much any other movie I've ever seen. If people want to copy the Matrix, they should focus on the FX not the costumes.

To be fair, that was because his costume was his old one from back when he was still on the team way before X-men 1. Presumably that's more or less how all the costumes looked when he was last on the team
And he didn't need to wear an old costume in the first place because visually, his costume was like in the wrong film. Based from X-Men 1, they got spare costumes which the Wolverine eventually wore in the climaX. It could have been the same for X3. A lot of costumes in X3 were quite questionable.

And he didn't need to wear an old costume in the first place because visually, his costume was like in the wrong film. Based from X-Men 1, they got spare costumes which the Wolverine eventually wore in the climaX. It could have been the same for X3. A lot of costumes in X3 were quite questionable.

Maybe they didn't have any new ones in his size. He's a thicc boy.

(But out-of-universe I assume they had Beast wear his old costume because they wanted to emphasize the fact that he was a former team member from back in the day).

Maybe they didn't have any new ones in his size. He's a thicc boy.

(But out-of-universe I assume they had Beast wear his old costume because they wanted to emphasize the fact that he was a former team member from back in the day).
Well we saw his costume in First class and didn't even resemble the X3's costume. So in the end, that throwback costume in x3 didn't matter as the prequel films had different costumes for Mr. Beast. in hindsight, his X3 costume should have been more inline with the rest of the X-Men but with individuality since the costumes for the male X-Men were very similar.

Well we saw his costume in First class and didn't even resemble the X3's costume. So in the end, that throwback costume in x3 didn't matter as the prequel films had different costumes for Mr. Beast. in hindsight, his X3 costume should have been more inline with the rest of the X-Men but with individuality since the costumes for the male X-Men were very similar.

Well it's not like there can only ever be two costume designs in the history of the X-men. First Class was when the X-men first formed, and Beast's costume from X-men 3 would have been from whenever Beast quit several decades later.

Also First Class was written as a reboot before they later changed their mind and made it into a prequel with DoFP.

Well it's not like there can only ever be two costume designs in the history of the X-men. First Class was when the X-men first formed, and Beast's costume from X-men 3 would have been from whenever Beast quit several decades later.

Also First Class was written as a reboot before they later changed their mind and made it into a prequel with DoFP.
Doesn't matter, since Beast's X3 costume was never used in the prequels, not even 1 costume had a resemblance to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"