It's the Pokemon thread - Part 1

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by Thread Manager, Jan 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt Mortem Karloff is King

Definitely. It's a fresh concept applied to an old franchise and by including the older lands in Pokemon it plays to the nostalgia angle the Nintendo loves so much. It would really blow peoples minds, and it's such an obvious concept.

2. LibidoLoca Politically Delicious

Eh a little bit of both. Ninfia will be interesting. I wonder if it will have anything to do with the Prism Scale.

3. spideyboy_1111 Young Avenger

it's so obvious, it's as if nintendo is dragging their heels about it because it's so expected... i feel like they do this crap too much

4. Spidey-Bat Ours is the Fury

Don't really like to do this, but I thought I brought up some important and cool stuff in my last post. It's stuck at the bottom of the previous page, so I'm reposting it here, too.

---

Which brings up another issue. We'll call it Geodude/Zubat-Syndrome. EVERY cave in the game has a Geodude or Zubat (or its evolutions). I never have any desire to use either one because of how often I see them. Unfortunately they repeated the same thing (though to lesser degree) in Gen V with Woobat and Roggenrola. They need to avoid this.

It would suck, but do you really want to keep playing this game when there are 1,000-1,500 Pokemon and you need about 3 generations and 2-3 different generations of platforms to actually obtain them all?

Something else that needs to be considered is that games will probably become purely digital. So Pokemon needs to become more self-contained. It's going to need another massive overhaul like in Gen III to adapt to future hardware.

I think the best way is to wipe the slate clean and start from scratch. I generally hate episodic/expansion games but I think Pokemon can survive that and it wouldn't be awful. Here's how I'd make it (I started typing this before some of your posts, some of it is tangential to what you discussed):

Take Kanto, give it modernized features that it would have today. When you start the game, you choose a starter. Personally, I'd like something where you can choose ANY starter. I love Bulbasaur, but maybe I feel like starting with Treecko or Totodile in Kanto.

You play the game as normal. Then have Johto as an expansion. However, your Pokemon from Kanto are locked out until you beat this one. So you have to pick a new starter. They can do it that you can pick one of the Gen I starters you didn't choose or one of the Gen II starters. Once you beat Gen II, you can freely exchange any of your Pokemon.

It'd basically work that your Pokemon are saved separately in your hardware (and/or a cloud account), not within the software. So there's no more need to have 2 DS or 3DS to trade between your different copies of the game. The game just accesses them from your hardware's storage. It also would allow you to replay the game without losing all your Pokemon. I've sometimes wanted to replay a game and instead of picking a starter and slowing capturing my team, start with 6 Pokemon you can catch in the wild and playing the whole game with them.

5. spideyboy_1111 Young Avenger

limiting the pokemon isn't the issue.. it's about time they expanded the game.

like we were just talking about, if you make a game available where you travel to different regions... you could make catching pokemon not only more fun, but more practical. Limiting the amount will never really feel like "you caught them all"

6. SuperFerret King of the Urban Jungle

People still concern themselves with catching them all?

7. Scarecrow_King Perpetually Annoyed

I haven't since Gen II. I loved doing it there though, because Johto had Johto pokemon. And Kanto had Kanto pokemon.

I just want them to be contained to their regions. That's all I ****ing want.

8. Matt Mortem Karloff is King

That's what would be so rad about a game that had all the regions.

9. Fading ---

I just use "catch them all" in the same way as console trophies, an excuse to keep playing. If getting a gen 1 drowzee, who I'll never use, requires level grinding to go in a new high level cave, then I will. It gives me focus, and drive to keep playing past online multiplayer battles. As for a reboot, and seeing old lands, Nintendo just needs to finally do the Poke MMO, or a proper console title. The MMO could have you start off in any region, and cross over into others. A regular console game could start in Kanto, and add the other regions as DLC. I'd love for handhelds to do that, but I imagine there's a problem with file size.

10. Benstamania Go away.

I keep saying if Nintendo doesn't release a legit HD Pokemon game on the WiiU then they're flat out stupid.

Hell, let it have cross play with X and Y. Watch the money roll in.

11. the_ultimate_evil CURSE YOU GIN MONKEY.

nintendo will do a huge world pokemon the day capcom remake resident evil 2 and squaresoft remake final fantasy 7

12. Benstamania Go away.

... So... According to Square Enix... That will be about 30 years from now.

Sweet.

13. TheIrishAvenger You are not special.

Sylveon, a new evolution of Eevee in Pokémon X and Y!

14. dodgers2213 Registered

Sylveon? Well then it has to be steel. Oddiest looking steel I have seen

15. spideyboy_1111 Young Avenger

none of it's moves looked like a steel pokemon...

16. Matt Mortem Karloff is King

It's probably a normal type :dry:

17. Fading ---

Honestly, the pink, and first ability look psychic. Heck, so does the card move, think magic tricks like, "is this your card". Though the last looked like swift, which is a normal ability (which does make it to other types though). The problem with that is Espeon. Then again, I guess another psychic Evee only makes a little less sense than another normal type. I'd rather it have been ghost, steel, fighting, poison, or just about anything else other than normal. Though honestly, I don't care much for the Eveevolutions. I used a Jolteon in Fire Red, and that's about as far as I cared to mess with the line.

#867 Fading, Feb 14, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  18. Matt Mortem Karloff is King

I've never been a big Eevee guy either. If I wanted to use any of those type's, I kind find better ones pretty easy.

19. Fading ---

I thought about Espeon with it's dream world ability for something different, but never got around to it. I guess Vaporeon is alright too, but the line feels bland to me. They're pretty vanilla, IMO. Lacking the visual flair, or unique abilities of other pokes. Not to mention they're all pure types, and sometimes I want dual types so my team isn't one note on weaknesses, and abilities.

20. spideyboy_1111 Young Avenger

another normal type evee is an improvement if it's stats increase...

i really doubt it's another "type" that's already been used though

21. TheAQU4M4N K1NG Of ATL4NTiS!

maybe there creating a new type? very doubtful though.

22. Victarion Iron Captain

What if this is the dragon type? I'd be disappointed.

23. Duke Registered

24. Spidey-Bat Ours is the Fury

Amazon has them for $15, too. Ordered myself White 2.

25. Matt Mortem Karloff is King

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.