James Cameron's Sequel to "AVATAR" - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
My only hope with Avatar 2 at this point is that it does something that genuinely pushes some kind of technology along that can help other films. Wasn't there a rumour about extensive underwater stuff with this one?

People remember Titanic more than Avatar.

Because Titanic was based on an actual event. People also remember the disaster not the movie really.

Titanic at least had a few moments seep their way into pop culture like the "I'm the king of the world!" bit, but Avatar I don't think has even done that.

Anyone remember this Cameron fan from 2009 who was predicting that it would outgross Titanic and make three billion dollars. Everyone laughed at him and called him crazy. Guess he was right.

Titanic at least had a few moments seep their way into pop culture like the "I'm the king of the world!" bit, but Avatar I don't think has even done that.

Yes they do. "I am king of the world" is etched into pop culture.
1442676722454.gif

Draw me like one of your French girls, anyone?

No line in Avatar was ever as iconic as "Jack, I want you to draw me like one of your French girls."

For being the highest-grossing movie of all time, Avatar really hasn't had any lasting pop culture relevance.

And I think Cameron missed the important adage strike while the iron is hot.

I have doubts that anyone is gonna care when the sequels finally roll around.

Then again, people flocked to it in droves before, when it was an original property with no prior establishment, so they might do it again.

The visuals is what made the movie. The storyline was forgettable so no surprise.

Avatar 2 better draw me in with some mind-blowing visuals because I can tell you I don't give a **** about what happens next with the Navi or Jake

No line in Avatar was ever as iconic as "Jack, I want you to draw me like one of your French girls."

There was...that one, ya know. By that guy, the one who was in Terminator: Genisys and Die Hard 5. :o

jai was in avatar??

I think I may be getting my generic looking, bland Australian actors mixed up. :o It's like trying to tell apart pieced of blank cardboard.

Avatar had that ponytail sex... without protection.

Yeah sure...nobody eeever talks about the Titanic film....

http://www.harrisinteractive.com/NewsRoom/HarrisPolls/tabid/447/ctl/ReadCustom%20Default/mid/1508/ArticleId/1535/Default.aspx

Superhero, star wars, and geek communities in general seem to constantly be the only ones baffled by Titanic's success and not understanding it's longevity.

Actually I made a mistake. What i meant was when people think of Titanic their first thought's are of the disaster (ship hit the iceberg) not necessarily the movie.

My only hope with Avatar 2 at this point is that it does something that genuinely pushes some kind of technology along that can help other films. Wasn't there a rumour about extensive underwater stuff with this one?

It's kinda sad the whole Avatar franchise seems to be just demo material for film and theater tech.

Honestly the few times I'll pop in the Avatar blu-ray will be to test out a new TV or other changes I've calibrated.

To be fair, if he was speaking in Klingon or Dothraki, I wouldn't think he was any less of a loser. :o

If he was speaking Klingon or Dothraki, he would actualy be speaking with an existing fandom, not just to the 5 or 6 people left who still obsess over that movie :o

It's kinda sad the whole Avatar franchise seems to be just demo material for film and theater tech.

Honestly the few times I'll pop in the Avatar blu-ray will be to test out a new TV or other changes I've calibrated.

It's not exactly a bad legacy to leave behind though. Lucas and Peter Jackson wish they had been able to revolutionize film technology the same way with the Prequels and the hobbit films respectively.

Avatar was at least more memorable than the majority of the garbage that are able to gross over a billion dollar worldwide these days.

Avatar was at least more memorable than the majority of the garbage that are able to gross over a billion dollar worldwide these days.

Not sure about memorable, but it deserved more to do what it did than most Billion grossers did, that's true. As an experience, Avatar was also ace, which is why i'm hoping for the best regarding the sequels and expanded unvierse material.

The thing with Avatar though, is that it was one of the highest grossing films of all time, but doesn't seem to have generated as much of a following as the likes of Star Wars, Jurassic Park or Titanic. If we put things in perspective, it's not as if other "popular nerdy films" are more talked about either, Abrams's first Star Trek was more memorable either, the Marvel films are usualy brought up mostly due to the constantly released films set in the MCU, not exactly due to the craft behind them, etc.

It's difficult to name a film that came out around Avatar's time that is more talked about, Batman Begins and The Dark Knight maybe, Inception definitely, Tarantino's last 2 films too. When everything is put into perspective, Avatar's not exactly as forgotten as other films geeky fandoms like to embrace.

The reason "Who remembers Avatar?" has become such a popular joke is due to various reasons, one of them is James Cameron's cockiness and arrogance due to achieving such a giant success, another is the already mentioned fact of it not being as often talked about as the likes of Star Wars and Jurassic Park, and finaly, there's the easy to make fun of lore, which has gotten a bit cheesier as time went by.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
japanorsomewher
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"