Guardians of the Galaxy James gunn fired!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So when do we hold the President or other people responsible for things they have said either online or in person? There is either a line/limit or you persecute everyone.
The thing with Gunn is he's working for Disney, which just went through the whole Roseanne tweet thing not too long ago. With them being risk averse and the current climate of things in Hollywood, they couldn't let him get away with the stuff he posted.

That's what I'm wondering as well. Most companies these days go through potential hires' social media history so it's odd that Marvel/Disney missed stuff like this.

They didn’t. Gunn addressed them and apologized years ago. IIRC they came up back when he was first signed on. The whole situation is totally SNAFU.

10 years ago I thought gay people were sinners who should burn in hell. These days? The opposite. I grew as a person and rethought everything about my views.

I'd say Gunn is the opposite of Trump, you could tell Gunn has grown as a person yet Trump is still saying the awful **** he's said years ago.

Twitter is awful.

So when do we hold the President or other people responsible for things they have said either online or in person? There is either a line/limit or you persecute everyone.

Tens of thousands of people are protesting the President almost on a daily basis....I think that is holding him responsible. But being a director hired by a movie studio is not the same as being the President of the United States. The director has a definite boss that can hire or fire his employee fairly easily. The President is given his position or has his position removed by specific rules and laws. There are people working on removing him from his position at this moment....it isn't easily or swiftly done though.

They didn’t. Gunn addressed them and apologized years ago. IIRC they came up back when he was first signed on. The whole situation is totally SNAFU.
If they were discussed back then, he should probably have deleted them so they didn't come back and bite him again later, especially with how polarized and volatile the social/political climate has become.

He should have known better than keep stuff like that on his Twitter feed, especially when he's been beefing with some people of a different political persuasion than him and how common it is for people to go social media diving to dig up dirt on people.

Im with ya %100 and this is the problem with social media and putting yourself out there for public consumption. Having said that these tweets existed while he was making disney billions creating stars. This whole thing is a slippery slope honestly.

Its just... what he said. And he said it often. We can talk about who he was and who he is now, but that is just stuff you never write.

Some people must have a lot of time on their hands to be shifting through someone's Twitter history and digging up comments that were made a decade ago.

10 years ago I thought gay people were sinners who should burn in hell. These days? The opposite. I grew as a person and rethought everything about my views.

I'd say Gunn is the opposite of Trump, you could tell Gunn has grown as a person yet Trump is still saying the awful **** he's said years ago.

Twitter is awful.
Twitter is not what caused Gunn to post such stupid things; Gunn did those himself. If they were brought up before by Disney/Marvel, he should have deleted them so they didn't come up again.

Its just... what he said. And he said it often. We can talk about who he was and who he is now, but that is just stuff you never write.

Exactly.

Thank you.

Disney, a family company that appeals to children ... Yeah, it's easy to see why they fired him.

His tweets and jokes were certainly problematic and in bad taste, but that was almost a decade ago. He recognized and apologized. What a crock of **** to fire him. I'm as liberal as the day is long, but these knee jerk firings are going too far. If his movies contained stuff like that and to this day he continued doing **** like that I would say fire him, but come on. This is ********.

Twitter is not what caused Gunn to post such stupid things; Gunn did those himself. If they were brought up before by Disney/Marvel, he should have deleted them so they didn't come up again.

Someone would have probably screenshotted them and they would have come back anyway. My point is that its stupid to judge people on the **** they say over a decade ago if they have noticeably grown as a person since they were made.

Does anyone know who unearthed the tweets? This sounds like an insider hitjob by Disney. There is no way they didn't look up his tweets before hiring him and after all these years. Convenient timing with Comic-Con to drown out the news. I think they wanted Gunn out for their own reasons.

Gunn apologized after he got caught.

So ... *shrug*

Some people must have a lot of time on their hands to be shifting through someone's Twitter history and digging up comments that were made a decade ago.
Oh, we know who did it. They are awful human beings. Mike Cernovich tried to get Same Seder fired from his guest spots on MSNBC. It worked for five seconds before it was realized what he wrote was so obviously sarcastic and one tweet. This doesn't change what Gunn wrote. Who "jokes" about pedophile so much?

I think it was only a matter of time before he got fired for his comments. After what Disney had to go through with the whole Roseanne thing, Gunn's comments couldn't go unpunished, especially since many were far worse than her comments about Valerie Jarrett. Marvel/Disney dropped the ball in not doing more of a background check on him.

If they had done a check we wouldn't have gotten gotg 1 or 2. That was a good move. Also, get taika on the case.

It is what it is.

What does trump have to do with this situation?

Whataboutism: Dismissive term used by members of both political parties when confronted with examples of their hypocrisy, selective outrage, and double standards.

Last edited:
Someone would have probably screenshotted them and they would have come back anyway. My point is that its stupid to judge people on the **** they say over a decade ago if they have noticeably grown as a person since they were made.
Are they judging him, or are they saying, we can't have you work on 4 quadrant films at Disney?

Does anyone know who unearthed the tweets? This sounds like an insider hitjob by Disney. There is no way they didn't look up his tweets before hiring him and after all these years. Convenient timing with Comic-Con to drown out the news. I think they wanted Gunn out for their own reasons.

:loco:

Yeah, I'm not saying it wasn't wrong for Gunn to tweet those back then, but most people aren't the same person that they were 10 years ago. If we were to judge everyone by something that said something on the internet at least a decade ago, literally half the internet would be in trouble for their 2000s muh edgelord kid humor posts that would most likely make them cringe now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"