Guardians of the Galaxy James gunn fired!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
On whether they looked up his tweets before. In 2012, was this a thing? Like where people actually thought this was all going to come back to haunt them years later? bad place, what people think is acceptable is different now, though I'd hope if people saw this stuff it wouldn't have gone over well then.

Oh, we know who did it. They are awful human beings. Mike Cernovich tried to get Same Seder fired from his guest spots on MSNBC. It worked for five seconds before it was realized what he wrote was so obviously sarcastic and one tweet. This doesn't change what Gunn wrote. Who "jokes" about pedophile so much?

I'm on the "you can joke about anything if its funny or at least has a good punchline" side of the fence so I don't see the big deal. I laugh when someone jokes about what priests do etc etc if its a good joke.

The dude also directed Slither right? I could've told you his sense of humor is probably not everyone's cup of tea.

He also directed two damn good Marvel movies with tons of heart and already apologized for what he said.

Still think its dumb that he got fired but it is what it is.

Yeah, I'm not saying it wasn't wrong for Gunn to tweet those back then, but most people aren't the same person that they were 10 years ago. If we were to judge everyone by something that said something on the internet at least a decade ago, literally half the internet would be in trouble for their 2000s muh edgelord kid humor posts that would most likely make them cringe now.
But isn't it a question of it not being presented as such? Like saying he isn't the same guy 10 years ago isn't the question. No one was presented with this side of him until right now. Well, at least people who weren't on prehistoric twitter 9 years ago.

Almost anyone can post something wrong or inappropriate....once.....but from what I see, he did it over and over and over again. You can say...well, it was 10 years ago....then that means he had 10 years to delete it. You can say....he was joking....well, how many times has that been used to excuse racist, misogynistic, abusive talk over the years. He knew he used to post that way....he should have had the sense to take a weekend a few years ago to go back and delete it.

I'm on the "you can joke about anything if its funny or at least has a good punchline" side of the fence so I don't see the big deal. I laugh when someone jokes about what priests do etc etc if its a good joke.

The dude also directed Slither right? I could've told you his sense of humor is probably not everyone's cup of tea.

He also directed two damn good Marvel movies with tons of heart and already apologized for what he said.

Still think its dumb that he got fired but it is what it is.
I don't think Disney is laughing about someone who talks about oral sex and children in the same sentence. Why do Disney have to put up with that if they don't want to? The 4 quadrant juggernaut of the world?

I love the first GotG and really like the second. That doesn't change what he did and how often he did it. And I understand Disney's decision. I agree with it. This is the stuff you learn about someone and don't look at them the same after imo.

Almost anyone can post something wrong or inappropriate....once.....but from what I see, he did it over and over and over again. You can say...well, it was 10 years ago....then that means he had 10 years to delete it. You can say....he was joking....well, how many times has that been used to excuse racist, misogynistic, abusive talk over the years. He knew he used to post that way....he should have had the sense to take a weekend a few years ago to go back and delete it.

I don't remember what I said 6 months ago let alone 10 years ago but I'm sure I'd probably cringe at most of it knowing where I was in my life. Again, someone would probably have screen shotted those tweets anyway.

I don't think Disney is laughing about someone who talks about oral sex and children in the same sentence. Why do Disney have to put up with that if they don't want to? The 4 quadrant juggernaut of the world?

I love the first GotG and really like the second. That doesn't change what he did and how often he did it. And I understand Disney's decision. I agree withi t.

It obviously wasnt a problem until now and they've had him in the MCU for some time now.

If they were discussed back then, he should probably have deleted them so they didn't come back and bite him again later, especially with how polarized and volatile the social/political climate has become.

As I understand it, he did delete them, but the internet is forever. They got dug back up by alt right types mad about his liberal politics.

Agreed. The smart thing to do was also get ahead of it. He posts a lot of things against the current President, so he knows people will try to point out the hypocrisy. He could have gone to Marvel or Disney and just say “I wrote these things. They were wrong.”

May not have changed him being fired but it would have given Disney a chance to respond more appropriately. Instead they were backed into a corner so had to react quickly.

I suggest everyone go clean up your Twitter before you become a politician or a famous filmmaker or something...

Dark humor is funny to me a lot of the time. I can see how one can feel the need to post an "edgy" joke to spark a shock reaction from people. There are jokes such as "The Aristocrats" for that very reason, after all.

However, James Gunn "joked" about pedophilia enough times for him to delete 10,000 tweets. Allegedly joking about that very specific topic on THAT big a scale ... Sorry not sorry, but my eyebrows are raised to the ceiling over it. It was WEIRD to be posting that stuff.

Listen, I adore the Guardians of the Galaxy movies too, but the situation is what it is. I'm disgusted by James Gunn, and I guarantee I would be just as disgusted 10 years ago had I known that he posted this garbage.

Does anyone know who unearthed the tweets? This sounds like an insider hitjob by Disney. There is no way they didn't look up his tweets before hiring him and after all these years. Convenient timing with Comic-Con to drown out the news. I think they wanted Gunn out for their own reasons.

It was Mark Cernovitch and the alt-right. It was an alt-right hit job.

A question for those that feel Disney made a mistake. What is the overall benefit for them to keep Gunn on after this? When in most likelihood he has to go dark for a while at the least? If he doesn't, he will be answering questions about this now and during promotion. Does Disney want to deal with talk about pedophilia? Do they want Star-Lord talking about that?

I suggest everyone go clean up your Twitter before you become a politician or a famous filmmaker or something...

I plan on sanitizing the **** out of my twitter feed now. I'd hate to have something I posted today, good or bad, lose me a job in 15 years.

As I understand it, he did delete them, but the internet is forever. They got dug back up by alt right types mad about his liberal politics.
He only deleted them within the past couple days and only after he started pulling up bad tweets from people he was beefing with on Twitter. He should have realized that things work both ways and people could dig into his past tweets as well. It's a reminder for everyone to think twice before posting stuff online.

It was Mark Cernovitch and the alt-right. It was an alt-right hit job.

They're disgusting people. Absolutely.

This was a low effort hit job considering all anyone had to do was search Gunn's Twitter history, which is public to EVERYONE.

None of this downplays what Gunn posted in the past to me. I think it's a lazy copout to write that crap off just because people enjoy his movies or align with him politically.

He only deleted them within the past couple days and only after he started pulling up bad tweets from people he was beefing with on Twitter. He should have realized that things work both ways and people could dig into his past tweets as well. It's a reminder for everyone to think twice before posting stuff online.
If that is true, he literally did it to himself.

WHY LAWD?!!

Why couldn't they wait until after GOTG 3?!

Honestly, I think Gunn was probably asked when he was hired if he had said or posted anything controversial and Gunn had lied. A studio as big as Disney would definitely have a morals clause.

Still.... WHY LAWD?!!!!!!

I'm of 2 minds about this. It was nearly 10 years ago and I dont think he's done offensive since then that i know of so it seems kind of stupid to fire him now even though I'm sure they knew when they hired him and just want to appear like they care. But you also should know better as an adult to tweet all those tweets so...

I still think Marvel will be fine. Directors are disposable for them because they aren't the masterminds. They're basically there to just manage production. And with the Fox acquisition, they don't really need Guardians of the Galaxy.

They're disgusting people. Absolutely.

This was a low effort hit job considering all anyone had to do was search Gunn's Twitter history, which is public to EVERYONE.

None of this downplays what Gunn posted in the past to me. I think it's a lazy copout to write that crap off just because people enjoy his movies or align with him politically.

He apologized and atoned for those "jokes" and statements in 2012. What was he supposed to do? This hyper-sensitive zero tolerance, off with their heads mob mentality the internet has is extremely dangerous. He came clean that he was in the wrong with what he posted IN TWO THOUSAND AND TWELVE.

This was wrong of Disney. They're in the wrong.

Oh, no argument, he brought this on himself. It’s still BS imho.

And yes, be careful of anything you post, tweet, email, etc. My rule is if you wouldn’t want your mother to read it, don’t post it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"