Guardians of the Galaxy James Gunn is directing Guardians of the Galaxy!

They made him a 2012 geek, basically.

pretty much, I'm just glad they made him an actual human being rather than the saturday morning cartoon macguire gave us.

They made him a 2012 geek, basically.

Yeah, he wasn't a geek. A geek in 2012 is really no different then say a geek 15 years ago. At the most he was geek chic, but like I said they made him a brooding bad boy.

Yeah, he wasn't a geek. A geek in 2012 is really no different then say a geek 15 years ago. At the most he was geek chic, but like I said they made him a brooding bad boy.

He definitely was a geek. I know because the group I hang with out at my college are the definition of geeks. We cosplay at cons, we play and talk about videogames 24/7, we play card games that I'd rather not name, we read manga online, we saw The Avengers together twice on opening weekend, and Andrew's Peter Parker would fit with us perfectly. We skateboard, we dress like he does. He's just a loner geek.

Yeah just because he skates & didn't look like a bum doesn't mean he's not a modern geek. I don't think Peter skating makes him a "brooding bad boy", they made him pretty geeky in the movie. Like how he got used by the girl at the beginning & his awkward crush on Gwen.

I knew this would basically be announcement free, and one day they'd just start talking about him as being factually the director.

I don't think Marvel has ever "announced" a director, usually the trades just report they're negotiating with one and then eventually either the director talks about signing on or the trades report that another director is negotiating

Except Whedon on the Avengers sequel, of course

I don't think Marvel has ever "announced" a director, usually the trades just report they're negotiating with one and then eventually either the director talks about signing on or the trades report that another director is negotiating

Except Whedon on the Avengers sequel, of course

I really want them to get the ball rolling on casting. I'm going to tinkle a bit when I click on the hype and see: X-Actor is Starlord!

yeah thats exciting. has there been any news on the budget?

No but I would guess ~150M, same as IM1, TIH, Thor 1 and Cap TFA
Something is telling me that it'll be a bit more than that.

185 million or something around that. Just due to the scale being significantly bigger than all of those.

Disney/Marvel are delving further into "dah risky realm". It'll pay off though I feel.

I hope it's a little bit more than $150 mil as I want some fantastical looking stuff in this movie compared to the solo's we've gotten so far.

Good news. Competent writer/director with enough respect from Whedon that it wont have too many cooks in the kitchen. It's a sound choice.

I expect about a 200 million budget for all of them. IM3 has a 200 mill budget and I expect, since Avengers was so sucessful, and of course the backing from Disney, it's within their means to have a 200 million budget for each film.

A 200M budget for this is setting the bar for success awfully high.

The sequels have more leeway as Avengers obviously boosted their popularity in a huge way. DVD/BluRay rentals/purchases for Cap and Thor skyrocketed during the lead-up to Avengers and the characters got big parts in the movie itself.

That is not true in the least bit.

The definition of a nerd and the look of a nerd has changed exponentially in even the last 5 years, let alone 15.

With Disney backing them up, I don't think the budget for any of Marvel's future movies will be anything to worry about.

Very happy to hear Whedon's words about Gunn, guess that confirms him as director. The last part of the interview was funny, "...And then I'm going to beat him!".

Yeah, they definitely are trying to place Whedon into the Nolan god-daddy role. Add to the fact that he probably knows as much Marvel comic trivia as all of us do, and they got something good going.

Are you guys worried at all by the prospect of Alan Taylor directing Thor: The Dark World and the Russo brothers directing Captain America: The Winter Soldier? In both cases I feel a little worried at the prospect of these relatively untried directors taking on sequels to hit movies that I have a real fondness for.

James Gunn at least seems like a logical choice for Guardians of the Galaxy, since his previous work indicates he can handle special effects and action alongside offbeat humour. But Alan Taylor - I can see why his Game of Thrones work might recommend him for Thor, but then again, he's only directed a handful of feature films (though it's worth noting that the same criticisms could have been used against Joss Whedon - and indeed worried me - before The Avengers became a box office phenomenon and the culmination of every comic fan's wet dreams).

The real concern for me are the Russo brothers. CA: TFA was my favourite of the Phase 1 Marvel films, and I'm really worried that hiring a pair of directors best known for TV comedy is shortchanging the Sentinel of Liberty a bit. Cap has to be handled delicately. Joe Johnston was a perfect choice for a period piece like the first movie. But I'm seriously worried that Marvel might fumble the ball in re-introducing our star-spangled hero into the modern world with the choice of the Russo brothers.

Truth be told, the Russo Bros will just be Meat Puppets for Feige and Whedon. I'm not too worried about Cap 2 at all.

Yeah they're TV directors
Which means they're good at doing what they're told
As long as they have a decent eye for framing and editing, they'll have plenty of help/direction to make the movie great
I really liked CA:TFA as well, but subsequent viewings have shown me a lot of weak points in the film, I'm sure they'll do just as well or better than Johnston

but getting back to guardians... gettin more and more pumped with each tiny bit of info...!

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"