The Wolverine Musical Score

narrows101

Reaction score
Marco Beltrami to Score ‘The Wolverine’

Marco Beltrami confirmed in a recent interview with Film Music Reporter that he has signed on to score the upcoming comic book adaptation The Wolverine. The film is directed by James Mangold (Walk the Line, Identity) and stars Hugh Jackman who returns in the role he originated in the X-Men franchise and is jo
ined by actors Will Yun Lee, Hiroyuki Sanada and Brian Tee. The movie follows Logan/Wolverine on his travels to Japan, where he engages a mysterious figure from his past in a fight that has lasting consequences. Academy Award-winning screenwriter Christopher McQuarrie (The Usual Suspects, Valkyrie) and Mark Bomback (Unstoppable, Live Free or Die Hard) have penned the script. Lauren Shuler-Donner (X-Men series), Marvel Entertainment’s Kevin Feige, Jackman and Hutch Parker are producing the project. Beltrami has previously collaborated with Mangold on the 2007 western 3:10 to Yuma starring Russell Crowe and Christian Bale, for which he received his first Academy Award nomination. The Wolverine has recently completed principal photography in Australia and Japan and is set to be released on July 26, 2013 by 20th Century Fox.

Check back on this site within the next few days for the full interview with Beltrami talking about his recent scores for Trouble with the Curve, The Sessions and some of his other upcoming projects.

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2012/09/18/marco-beltrami-to-score-the-wolverine/

^^^And he's awful becausssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssse? :whatever: Better Beltrami got this gig than any of Zimmer's cronies (excluding John Powell) who'd come up with generic droning than an actual score.

Anyways I'm happy for Marco. He's a great composer (Mimic, Scream Quadrilogy, Blade II, Hellboy, I, Robot, Knowing, 3:10 To Yuma, The Thing (2011) are proof of that), and I'm sure he'll write something interesting for this. Glad he got the gig instead of one of Zimmer's cronies. Can't say I'm excited for the movie itself though.

And I bet this score's going to be better than Zimmer's MOS.

Last edited:
Beltrami's work on the Thing was extremely dull.

I loved Beltrami's scores for I, Robot and Hellboy. can't wait to hear what he has in store.

Beltrami is a great choice for this movie -- and I expected either him or John Powell since Mangold has worked with both of them. His action material alone will put Henry Jackman and Gregson-Williams' efforts to shame.

I wonder if he will use any of the previous composer's themes (Kamen, Ottman, Powell) in the score. He did that for The Omen remake and for his two Die Hard scores.

He has a good resume! So I support this decision! Plus he already worked with the director before!

No love for Beltrami's Hellboy score? Loved it.

I'm hoping for Beltrami to deliver a more Japanese-tinged score with heavy dollops of Hellboy and T3 for good measure.

Great... looking forward to this film for once. :D

I love it. Gotta admit as much as I love Elfman's score for the sequel. I think Beltrami wrote the better score. Man would I love to hear a Beltrami Batman score. Maybe he'll score the rumored batman reboot to wipe that stale sound Zimmer created for TDK trilogy, but I guess Wolverine will do. I expect it'll be better than Gregson-Williams forgettable score for the last turkey. I'm just not looking forward to another Wolverine movie with Jackman as the lead once again. It's already been played out, imo.

I'm hoping for Beltrami to deliver a more Japanese-tinged score with heavy dollops of Hellboy and T3 for good measure.

Great... looking forward to this film for once. :D

Oh did he do the first Hellboy score? I love that one! I can still hum it! Very underrated. Way better than Elfman's which was a bit too generic superhero.

185028_3869967870211_1350170566_n.jpg

Oh did he do the first Hellboy score? I love that one! I can still hum it! Very underrated. Way better than Elfman's which was a bit too generic superhero.

?

I love both scores but if anything Beltrami's is the typical SH score. Elfman's is a really old fashioned and romantic score, more in the vein of Sleepy Hollow or Nightbreed than Spider-Man or Batman. Hellboy's theme isn't really prominant compared to the Golden Army/Nuada themes.

Conversely Beltrami did the typical hero/love interest/villain theme SH gig that incidentally was more than a little inspired by Elfman, as requested (demanded?) by Del Toro. I'm not knocking it, I love the score to death, but it's really tradtional as far as SH scores go.

If only Elfman's score for HBII was generic superhero music, film music would be a LOT more interesting.

Anyway I love Beltrami and can't wait to hear what he comes up with for this.

Score track list...

1. A Walk in the Woods
2. Threnody for Nagasaki
3. Logan Can’t Bear It
4. Logan’s Run
5. The Offer
6. Get Me to the Temple on Time
7. Who Invited the Yakuza?
8. Hold My Sword
9. Logan in the Latraine
10. Matzah-Hisu
11. Abduction
12. Logan’s Fun
13. Ninja Knocking
14. Kantana Surgery
15. The Wolverine
16. The Hidden Fortress
17. Silver Samurai
18. Sword of Vengence
19. Dreams
20. Abayo Mariko
21. Where to?
22. Whole Step Haiku

Lets discuss...

1. A Walk in the Woods (we see him lost in the mountains)
2. Threnody for Nagasaki (dream? too soon to be a flashback about the war)
3. Logan Can’t Bear It (nightmares...ou a real bear fight like in the comics..)
4. Logan’s Run (Japan trip??)
5. The Offer (Yukio/Yashida meets Wolverine and gives him the offer)
6. Get Me to the Temple on Time (Yashida death/funeral?)
7. Who Invited the Yakuza? (in the funeral)
8. Hold My Sword
9. Logan in the Latraine ??
10. Matzah-Hisu ??
11. Abduction (Marikos abduction?)
12. Logan’s Fun
13. Ninja Knocking (the snow scene from th trailers?)
14. Kantana Surgery (when he is attached to the chair with Viper?)
15. The Wolverine (When he releases from that , Wolverine theme)
16. The Hidden Fortress (then he goes to Yashida science facility/laboratory)
17. Silver Samurai (robot fight)
18. Sword of Vengence (he uses the sword that was given to him in the ww2 and kills the samurai)
19. Dreams
20. Abayo Mariko (death of mariko)
21. Where to? (we say goodbuy to wolverine)
22. Whole Step Haiku (Haiku=sensorial poem , final credits..)

Somewhere there, the train fight...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"