The Wolverine James Mangold will direct The Wolverine

I'm very pleased with this choice. He was my first choice on the shortlist too.

It is very much possible we can get a good film. Please, God.

He was my second choice after Mark Romanek. I'm pleased if he stays on board. He might even be able to fight against the studio demands.

My goodness, next year is going to be BLOATED with superhero movies. Avengers, Amazing Spider-man, Man of Steel, Dark Knight Rises, Ghost Rider Spirits of Vengeance and now Wolverine.....jeez, i dont know if that many comic movies is a good thing.

Mangold, ok choice, just as long the studio won't interfere much we may get a good movie.

[BLACKOUT]Oh man, if Aronofsky had stayed as the director...[/BLACKOUT] :ninja:

Well, as I feared, we got someone bland :csad:

I'm not saying Mangold's a bad director (Cop Land, Girl Interrupted and Walk The Line were good films) but he's just not the great director we needed.

I know the list of suitable replacements for Darren was short, not to mention almost impossible/unattainable, but they really could have done better.

Danny Boyle, David O. Russell, Alejandro González Iñárritu...

Then again, those guys would have required serious convincing (big money).

While I think we might get a decent film, with Mangold we probably won't get that definitive film we coulda gotten with Darren. And no, I have ZERO doubts about the quality of the never-made Aronofsky Wolverine movie. Anyone here that really knows anything about Darren Aronofsky knows the man cannot fail. His movie would have blown The Dark Knight outta the water.

Mangold is gonna have to go to some deep and dark places and tap into that fury and isolation that define the character. He'll have to push Jackman to places most directors would be afraid to and he'll need to keep the studio machine in check. If he fails at any of those we'll get yet another crap rendition of yet another great Wolverine tale.

^it is wolverine for god sakes i have the comic it is based on while it is good it is not some classic work of art so get over yourself

darren cant fail? did you see the fountain i did and it is one of the worst movies i have ever seen and the critics agreed(51% on RT)

Mangold is more than a good director 3:10 to Yuma and Walk The Line are phenomenal films

Oy vey, Alexei...how about turning down the doom and gloom a little? :whatever:

The Fountain was a bad movie?

Them's fightin' words. :argh:

:o

^it is wolverine for god sakes i have the comic it is based on while it is good it is not some classic work of art so get over yourself

darren cant fail? did you see the fountain i did and it is one of the worst movies i have ever seen and the critics agreed(51% on RT)

Mangold is more than a good director 3:10 to Yuma and Walk The Line are phenomenal films

Aren't you the same poster that said we "didn't need a visionary director" to helm this movie? :doh: or for comic book movies in general?

If you thought The Fountain was a bad movie then I have to sadly inform you that you don't really understand serious cinema. That's not an insult, just an observation that anyone else would make. Critics that didn't support The Fountain attacked it for pretty much everything it was trying to achieve. They wanted it to be inside the box and it wasn't. In other words, it did what it wanted to do. If that film was released this year they would all love it. They hadn't yet warmed up to Darren is all.

And 3:10 to Yuma phenomenal????????????

Dude, start watching the greats. Kubrick, Malick, Fellini...then we'll talk what's phenomenal.

Hey, there's no need to say things like you don't understand serious cinema, you just have to accept that people have different opinions.

Damn, this thread's reminding me I never saw The Fountain even though I really wanted to... the release was so mangled.

I think James Mangold is a good director (although I thought Walk the Line could've been better, I was disappointed it didn't include Nickajack Cave and as it didn't explore Cash's beliefs it came across as a Ray retread) but come on, we had Gavin Hood, an Oscar winner, on the first Wolverine... I just hope Fox learned from FC it's best not to interfere.

Hey, there's no need to say things like you don't understand serious cinema, you just have to accept that people have different opinions.

If David Fincher had dropped out of the Girl with The Dragon Tattoo remake and the studio would have gotten Renny Harlin to direct it, you would not react well to "Its just a movie based on one of the best novels written in the last 20 years. We don't need a visionary" :cwink:

You want a great film too. I can tell. But if someone doesn't know what a great film is, why would they want one?

If David Fincher had dropped out of the Girl with The Dragon Tattoo remake and the studio would have gotten Renny Harlin to direct it, you would not react well to "Its just a movie based on one of the best novels written in the last 20 years. We don't need a visionary" :cwink:

You want a great film too. I can tell.

I'd be worried, but I wouldn't judge until I've seen the end result. I'm as devastated as you when Aronofsky left, even though it felt too good to be true to begin with but it's time to move on, and see how the movie will turn out with the new director, for better or worse. And much as I like Dragon Tattoo, I wouldn't consider it the best novel that was written in the last 20 years. :cwink:

Damn, this thread's reminding me I never saw The Fountain even though I really wanted to... the release was so mangled.

I think James Mangold is a good director (although I thought Walk the Line could've been better, I was disappointed it didn't include Nickajack Cave and as it didn't explore Cash's beliefs it came across as a Ray retread) but come on, we had Gavin Hood, an Oscar winner, on the first Wolverine... I just hope Fox learned from FC it's best not to interfere.

Yeah, the script's more important this time around, I think. It's a good start that they got Christopher McQuarrie to write it.

Aren't you the same poster that said we "didn't need a visionary director" to helm this movie? :doh: or for comic book movies in general?

If you thought The Fountain was a bad movie then I have to sadly inform you that you don't really understand serious cinema. That's not an insult, just an observation that anyone else would make. Critics that didn't support The Fountain attacked it for pretty much everything it was trying to achieve. They wanted it to be inside the box and it wasn't. In other words, it did what it wanted to do. If that film was released this year they would all love it. They hadn't yet warmed up to Darren is all.

And 3:10 to Yuma phenomenal????????????

Dude, start watching the greats. Kubrick, Malick, Fellini...then we'll talk what's phenomenal.

Alexei, I'm getting tired of warning you to knock off this attitude. Being an Aronofsky fan does not automatically make you the smartest kid in the class that gets to talk down to everyone else. It just makes you sound repeated obnoxious and we're all getting tired of it.

Darren Aronofsky did not make a Wolverine movie. Quit acting like he did, and stop treating everyone else who has the audacity to want to see another director's take other than your choices (who were never going to direct a Wolverine sequel anyway) like they don't understand how movies work.

Enough with the drama already.

news flash alexei we have had great comic book films in iron man,x2,spider man2,x men first class,thor,dark knight,watchmen.,etc. and none are so called visionary directors

Principal photography began on January 18, 2008 and ended on May 23.

Principal photography began on January 18, 2008 and ended on May 23.
Those may be the official dates, but the cast arrived in Queenstown, NZ at the start of February. The wrap party was around the 18th May but Hugh and others were still filming through June. The Normandy landings were filmed around 11th June. At Comic-Con, in July Hugh claimed to have finished on Wolverine just a few days earlier (could be some exageration there, and he had stopped off in Amsterdam to promote "Australia" on the way).
So 5-6 months.

Hopefully, this production will run smoother and take a shorter time to shoot.

news flash alexei we have had great comic book films in iron man,x2,spider man2,x men first class,thor,dark knight,watchmen.,etc. and none are so called visionary directors
umm..dude....Snyder is a visionary director. It said as much in the Watchmen trailer.

Those may be the official dates, but the cast arrived in Queenstown, NZ at the start of February. The wrap party was around the 18th May but Hugh and others were still filming through June. The Normandy landings were filmed around 11th June. At Comic-Con, in July Hugh claimed to have finished on Wolverine just a few days earlier (could be some exageration there, and he had stopped off in Amsterdam to promote "Australia" on the way).
So 5-6 months.

Hopefully, this production will run smoother and take a shorter time to shoot.

And that Hugh will have time to play Jean Valjean in Les Miz. Because if he has to give that up to do another *%*$# X-Men movie....

...I don't even want to think about it. :doh: :argh:

And that Hugh will have time to play Jean Valjean in Les Miz. Because if he has to give that up to do another *%*$# X-Men movie....

...I don't even want to think about it. :doh: :argh:
Oh boy, I'm with you. I just read something from one of the gossip columnists that said Hugh had a meeting with director Tom Hooper and it was supposed to last two hours - and it lasted four hours. And when Universal was asked about the casting, they didn't deny it, just said something like "no comment." Those have to be good signs, right??? Last I read, they were hoping to do Les Miz at the beginning of the year. Hugh hasn't done any movie since the beginning of the year because he's been preparing for this one, enough already! This thing better get going and on time and he BETTER do Les Miz! There's no one else more perfect for Jean Valjean! Maybe Hugh will say something in Toronto during interviews/talking to fans at his one-man show... Please just confirm it....

Ok, back to Wolvie....

Oh boy, I'm with you. I just read something from one of the gossip columnists that said Hugh had a meeting with director Tom Hooper and it was supposed to last two hours - and it lasted four hours. And when Universal was asked about the casting, they didn't deny it, just said something like "no comment." Those have to be good signs, right??? Last I read, they were hoping to do Les Miz at the beginning of the year. Hugh hasn't done any movie since the beginning of the year because he's been preparing for this one, enough already! This thing better get going and on time and he BETTER do Les Miz! There's no one else more perfect for Jean Valjean! Maybe Hugh will say something in Toronto during interviews/talking to fans at his one-man show... Please just confirm it....

Ok, back to Wolvie....

I read that report too. I hope it's true, because it did sound like they're trying to make it work so he can do the movie. Or maybe that's just how I read it, I have no clue how these things work...

While I think we might get a decent film, with Mangold we probably won't get that definitive film we coulda gotten with Darren. And no, I have ZERO doubts about the quality of the never-made Aronofsky Wolverine movie. Anyone here that really knows anything about Darren Aronofsky knows the man cannot fail. His movie would have blown The Dark Knight outta the water.

Mangold is gonna have to go to some deep and dark places and tap into that fury and isolation that define the character. He'll have to push Jackman to places most directors would be afraid to and he'll need to keep the studio machine in check. If he fails at any of those we'll get yet another crap rendition of yet another great Wolverine tale.

Everyone thought that Ang Lee was going to blow us all away with his Hulk movie, and it ended up being a pretentious bore fest in the drama department. You never know with these things sometimes, but yeah, chances are DA would have made an amazing Wolverine movie.

But, Mangold could too, in Copland he handled the central hero of the piece extremely well, he made us care about and understand him, and his moment of heroism in the final act gave you that special hairs on the back of your neck buzz that such moments are supposed to generate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"