Swamp Thing James Wan is bringing Swamp Thing to DC's streaming service!

They got me with that 2nd twist. Did not see that coming at all! Another good ep. :up:

I still think Doom Patrol is a lot better, but this has been a consistently solid show. Would’ve been insane to eventually see the Justice League Dark with Phantom Stranger, Madame Xanadu, Blue Devil, Zatanna, and The Spectre. I hope Swamp Thing finishes strong with these last 3 episodes.

Watched episode 4 last night, a little delayed due to weekend activities, but I really hop this gets picked up by another network or something, or that WB reverse their decision to cancel it. It's easily one of the better DC shows out there at the moment, especially in that it's fresh, and each episode adds something to the story, rather than filler after filler after filler.

Whoever screwed this up and is at the forefront of why it's being cancelled shouldn't be in their job. Honestly.

It was explained in the episode that it wasn't.Was it though? I don't know; you'd think his entire body would be a little tough to absorb, especially his bones - although anything is possible in the context of a superhero show like this. I got the impression though that his swamp body is more a manifestation of his being; he's not just Alec, he's also the swamp's essence (as such). He's merged with whatever entity exists as a consciousness within the Swamp, thus having the ability to know things and communicate with plants.

Tht's my take on it anyway. Whether his actual body is there to be found remains a mystery.
You can see in ep 2 or 3 don't remember precisely, that The Green takes over his body (tendrils and stuff going all over him). The show could not spend hours showing the slow transformation of Alex to The Swamp Thing like in the old comics. Now, the result is the same, he has an empathic bond with the swamp.
That being said, maybe there will be an Alex's body laying around in the swamp but I prefer the classic version of Alex being reborn ( or transformed but reborn sounds cooler :p ).

I was wrong :)

I don’t get it. Wasn’t Alec’s consciousness transferred into the swamp? If so, wouldn’t that make him still Alec? His physical body alone doesn’t make him who he is....

Awesome episode. "The Anatomy Lesson" is one of my favorite issues of any comic ever. It blew my mind the first time I read it. And while there was no chance a TV episode was gonna be able to do it justice, I think they did a very nice job with it here.

I don’t get it. Wasn’t Alec’s consciousness transferred into the swamp? If so, wouldn’t that make him still Alec? His physical body alone doesn’t make him who he is....
This entire time, he and Abby have been operating on the hope that whatever "transformed" him can be undone. That he can be human again. Cured, like little Susie Coyle. But now he's just learned he wasn't transformed at all. The real Alec Holland is dead and rotting. There's nothing to "bring back." He is merely an assemblage of plants that formed from Alec's memories to impersonate his human form. His hope of being "cured" is gone.

I'm not ready for the end. :(

Last edited:
This entire time, he and Abby have been operating on the hope that whatever "transformed" him can be undone. That he can be human again. Cured, like little Susie Coyle. But now he's just learned he wasn't transformed at all. The real Alec Holland is dead and rotting. There's nothing to "bring back." He is merely an assemblage of plants that formed from Alec's memories to impersonate his human form. His hope of being "cured" is gone.
I haven’t watched the latest episode yet, so it’s possible the answers will be there, but are they/we saying that Swampy is a copied consciousness, or his actual, transferred consciousness? Is that makes sense?

Is this Alec in a new form, or is this merely a form based on the memories and psychology of Alec?

I haven’t watched the latest episode yet, so it’s possible the answers will be there, but are they/we saying that Swampy is a copied consciousness, or his actual, transferred consciousness? Is that makes sense?

Is this Alec in a new form, or is this merely a form based on the memories and psychology of Alec?
They haven’t worked that out yet. Swampy has jumped to the worst conclusion since he was just confronted with his biological truth.

I’m hoping for the former

I can see why DC Universe, which is basically app based streaming service aimed primarily at DC fans is finding this show to be too expensive to continue, but HBO-Max has all the money, so why doesn't HBO-Max takeup the season 2 of Swamp Thing ?

Their competitors Amazon and Disney+ are making shows based on Lord of The Rings, Star Wars and MCU based series. While all WB has done is to get a show on Watchmen green-lit for HBO Max. They need more popular shows, clearly Swamp Thing is such a show with good reviews and a fan-base.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, there was NO BIO-RESTORATIVE SERUM involved in this version of the origins. I mean, why did the mutagenic plants chose Alec - and only Alec - to create Swamp Thing? I guess that the "Mutagen Spreader" machine which Alec managed to disable had temporarily affected that portion of the swamp at the time Alec has been killed, and so that portion of swamp was TEMPORARILY able to generate Swamp Thing, but it's a one shot affair. Well, I love to think it's a one shot affair, otherwise we'll have dozens of Swamp Things in this TV universe.

Two questions for those who watched Episode 9:

1- When Jason is revealing the truth to Swamp Thing, few seconds before Thing shouts that final, desperate and creepy scream... is there some weird green OOZE coming from his neck and circling his head?

2- Episode 1, when Alec's boat exploded... well, was Alec engulfed in flames, even barely? I don't remember that...

Now that was a great episode. Awesome introduction for Blue Devil and man did I feel bad for Swampy the whole time. Him finding out the truth about his transformation was kind of heartbreaking.

Such a good recent episode. DC and WB seriously screwed up cancelling what is IMO the best DC Universe show.
Not really, subscriptions of DC Universe have not taken off despite having shows like Titans, Doom patrol, Young Justice Outsiders and Swamp Thing (and other older shows and comics library they're offering). This show is expensive but low number of subscribers doesn't justify the money they were spending on it.

I’ve been pretty disappointed by their library of movies and tv series. I thought they would have more. I’m definitely not renewing my subscription. Will probably jump ship to Disney+ anyway

I cancelled my subscription and it expires august 3rd. It's a pretty cool and good service but it's not for me for a couple of reasons. I might come back to it after a while though

It seems that they have not been able to give fans what they wanted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"