Jeffrey Wright IS Commissioner Gordon

Discussion in 'The Batman' started by Speed Force, Sep 23, 2019.

1. emielaen Registered

Wright is my guy.

WatchProtect likes this.
  2. JubJub86 Registered

I....guess? Just speaking more in general about the city: looking at Burton's I never took that as majority-honkey. Nolan's even less so. We could totally do with more diversity among the actual front-and-center cast, but the way Wright's speaking it kinda seems like he's saying Burton/Nolan framed it some weird white-centric way. Don't know that's the case, certainly doubt intentionally.

3. shauner111 Registered

At no point in that quote did he put down the live action movies for making it a white majority. So I think you just misinterpreted. All Jeffrey said was today if you're going to make a movie about Gotham, it should be diverse and not obeying what they did in 1939 or the 70's or whatever.

emielaen and WatchProtect like this.
  4. OtherwiseKnownAs We live inside a dream (P)(he/him/his)

5. The Lazarus Pit The Boy Wonder

How am I just now seeing this? “He” looks so real.

6. Detective Conan Registered

7. Art Vandelay Registered

That's always been my stance whenever someone has complained about a role being cast with an actor of a different ethnicity. They'll always say "Oh, so I guess you'd be cool with a white Black Panther?!?", which is dumb as Black Panther was written specifically to be black. Most other comic characters were white simply by default due to the time period, and who was creating them.

Given that Gotham is more or less based off of New York, and given New York is a melting pot, and given this is 2022, to more accurately reflect the world we live in, Batman's cast should be multiethnic.

WatchProtect and chintai80 like this.
  8. HarveyHarris Registered

It blows my mind that it's 2022 and it's something that actually has to be spoken about. I really thought us nerds were more enlightened than that.

9. chintai80 oh hi.

i think most people do not see an issue with the ethnicity change, but i do see the occasional ignorant comment of social media about it.

nevermind that wright is a superb actor.
    and the few bits we seen of his gordon seem to be really embody the character, and yet different from oldman's portrayal.

but a percentage of humans will always remain idiots about it.
    it is what it is.

C Prometheus and cryptic name like this.
  10. Blade Hoarder Registered

What? Nerds are some of the most reactionary when it comes to casting changes to their favorite fictional characters. It’s the general public that gives less of a ****.

11. Detective Conan Registered

I’m actually morbidly curious for when the day the MCU F4 are cast announced and if they race bend them, how wonder how bad the nerd meltdowns will be? In the F4 forum I was arguing with some fans about this very subject, and they were really strongly adamant the F4 be white even though with most of the members they’re race neutral.

12. HarveyHarris Registered

I naively thought we'd made progress. Won't happen again

13. metaphysician Not a Side-Kick

Of the main Batman cast, the only character I'd say definitely has to be white is Bruce Wayne himself, due to the whole "I am the scion of New England royalty, who conceptually have to be the WASPiest of WASPs". Probably also Alfred, simply because you probably want to avoid the potentially bad implications of a black servant working for a rich dude. Beyond that? If there's someone who particularly needs to be white, they don't immediately come to mind.

Iceman, WayneMB, chintai80 and 2 others like this.
  14. Kane52630 >>BATNIPPLES INTENSIFIES<<

15. Kane52630 >>BATNIPPLES INTENSIFIES<<

16. Sawyer High King

17. Kane52630 >>BATNIPPLES INTENSIFIES<<

*Barry changes the timeline*

[​IMG]

18. Kane52630 >>BATNIPPLES INTENSIFIES<<

19. samsnee Ok

I liked him but honestly felt like he played the relationship the same way he plays Felix to Bond.

20. The Guard Registered

They have a chance to make him fight for the role in future films. Say something about it. I doubt he's the next Commissioner.

21. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Wright worked very well as Gordon. Glad they got one of the important ingredients of Batman’s world right.

22. Gamma Goliath Engine of Destruction

I liked that this Gordon's involvement was solely as a detective, we weren't concerned with making him commissioner or anything like that.

23. WatchProtect Registered

Yeah I'm really surprised and relieved that
    They're taking there time showing him as a good Detective and why he deserves to be Commisioner in the first place.

Iceman likes this.
  24. Gold Samurai Registered

I felt that too. He added a bit of streets to Gordon.

"It's good to be the mayor man"

25. DKDetective Elementary, Dear Robin (he/him/his)

Yeah...
    I really liked the more realistic career ascent here. I was a little annoyed with how Nolan had Gordon leapfrog from lieutenant to commissioner in The Dark Knight, skipping over captain and the various other ranks and roles between the two.

The one thing I was a little surprised by here was the way Gordon seemed a little ignorant of corruption on the force. The way he was friendly with Savage and surprisingly trusting of his fellow cops at times. I had thought that re-interpreting Gordon as a black man would be a great opportunity to foreground racial issues in policing, portray him as a little of an outsider who has to fight to prove himself like Capt. Holt did on Brooklyn 99. And who reinforced that outsider status by being one of the few good, straight cops. But maybe this actually in the more realistic approach. The blue wall clouding Gordon's judgment of his colleagues to an extent.

WatchProtect likes this.