Jeffrey Wright IS Commissioner Gordon

Discussion in 'The Batman' started by Speed Force, Sep 23, 2019.

1. shauner111 Registered

But crazy Pitt is hardly what he relies on. And his performance in 12 monkeys couldn’t be further from what he’s like in real life. You want an actor who only plays himself? Matt Damon. He’s not a bad actor but he’s limited and that’s why I will never see him as a great actor. I don’t like him period but at best I could say that he does one thing well or adequately. But he’s not great overall. I don’t throw that word around just for anybody.

BarryLyndon likes this.
  2. Schlosser85 Registered

Matt Damon is great in Good Will Hunting and better than some of the other people we're talking about.

CondimentKing likes this.
  3. shauner111 Registered

I disagree and think he’s one of the most overrated actors of his generation. He’s fine in everything. Good Will Hunting included. He’s not in Cruise’s league and even Pitt is a better actor.

Doc Samson and Tallgu like this.
  4. Schlosser85 Registered

I disagree.

Art Vandelay likes this.
  5. Eddie Dean Jokerfied

Hate to break it to you, but John Wayne wasn’t a tough guy who threw around a punch and went after bad guys, he was a rich guy who avoided military service. Pitt in 12 Monkeys is talking faster than normal and does a weird thing with his eyes, but he’s still very Brad Pitt. It’s the same range as dark, brooding Wayne in The Searchers and light, comedic Wayne in Rio Bravo.

Ripely alone qualifies Damon for great status IMO.

SwordOfMorning likes this.
  6. shauner111 Registered

Wayne was a racist to the core white dude who for most of his career played a white racist dude who targeted Hollywood’s idea of the bad guys aka “Indians”. And I was NOT talking about characterization, I was talking about behavior, nuance, expression. Who I saw on screen a million times in terms of behavior, was the same guy delivering a speech for an Oscar.

7. Schlosser85 Registered

How about that Jeffrey Wright, though, amirite?

emielaen likes this.
  8. Eddie Dean Jokerfied

Who I would say can do both kind of acting! His Gordon is very much playing into his hangdog, gruff persona but he can also do stuff like Basquiat and Shaft, although not recently.

Brando and the method ruined people’s perception of what good acting is.

SwordOfMorning and Doc Samson like this.
  9. CondimentKing Mitchell Mayo

I would love to get some real meaty drama scenes to do with Gordon's life and past with the family. If his wife left him and he's an alcoholic or something and a bit washed up until he meets Batman there will be tons of material for Wright to work with. He's gonna crush it

10. Schlosser85 Registered

We've heard that pretty much the whole movie is from Bruce/Batman's POV, so I don't know how much we'll get into Gordon's personal life away from his interactions with Batman.

11. CondimentKing Mitchell Mayo

Yeah. Eddie did point out the Riddler scene with the mayor isn't Bruce's POV so I'm sure there will be a couple establishing scenes for different characters though. I'm sure we'll get some good insight into Gordon's past through dialogue with Batman too.

12. shauner111 Registered

Wright is a great actor. Subtlety and nuance is what I love to see. When you don’t feel like they’re acting. Wright can pull that off in spades. He’s got gravitas for days. He’s also giving off that Danny Glover (or Morgan Freeman in Seven) “I’m getting too old for this ****” atttude. It’s so perfect for Gordon. I’m guessing he becomes the Commish at the end.

13. Eddie Dean Jokerfied

Will we finally get a Gordon who smokes? Probably not. :(

14. Doc Samson Superhero Psychiatrist

While I wanted a fully formed Batman and Gordon so we could just hit the ground running, if this warrants a trilogy, I wouldn't mind it taking 2 films for Gordon to become Commissioner. Show how arduous that journey would be in a city like that.

I'd also like Gordon to investigate who Batman is, similar to Year One. Hell, I hope he suspects Bruce the whole time but can't quite put a finger on it. I can't imagine any Commissioner worth a damn not being curious about who this guy is, ally or not.

Sidebar, I hope none of the villains die either, and continue to haunt Batman throughout the series like Nolan's Scarecrow. Movie Batman always seems to kill or avoid dealing with the same villains across multiple films, it kind of misses the point...

#564 Doc Samson, Feb 9, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
    emielaen and Schlosser85 like this.
  15. shauner111 Registered

Yeah I want Gordon to already be the commissioner when the second movie opens. And i’d also like to see Batman checking in on his enemies in Arkham. Watching their progress.

16. WatchProtect Registered

I've thought for a while now that since the GCPD show is Year 1 and the film is Year 2, they could set a Catwoman, Arkham, or any kind of show in Year 3 and then so on with a film Sequel in Year 4 just so things can be addressed like him becoming Commissioner in a show, or Batman sending someone to Arkham in year 3, then we see the character escape in Year 5 and stuff like that

shauner111 likes this.
  17. shauner111 Registered

If that’s the case then Catwoman for year 3, and when you get to a batman sequel in year 4, maybe something already happened to Dent.

WatchProtect likes this.
  18. Sawyer High King

That mustache is really standing out to me on that beard.

19. shauner111 Registered

Looks like we’ll have a leaner Gordon for the prequel show and movie sequels. Good for him!

Iceman likes this.
  20. Monte Cristo The Slow Knife

Looking forward to seeing him return as Felix in No Time To Die. He’s a great actor, and a lot of that comes down to natural charisma.

DKDetective and Arachnerd like this.
  21. Pfeiffer-Pfan Cool Rider

''From the rooter to the tooter, baby'' is a sentence I didn't need to read today.

Iceman likes this.
  22. Pennywise Registered

Jeffrey Wright No Time To Die James Bond Cover Story

WatchProtect and Rick190293 like this.
  23. JubJub86 Registered

...When has any live-action depiction of Gotham seemed 90% white, though? :whatever:

Yeah, the more diversity among the major "name" characters the better. Black Gordon is rad. But yeah, any reasonable person would figure Burton's, Schumacher's or Nolan's Gotham alike didn't come off as some honky 50's Howdy-Doody thing.

24. shauner111 Registered

But they are 90 percent white. From the extras to actors.

Hell, Bane and Ras aren't white and yet they were in Nolan's movies. Zoe even auditioned for Hathaway/Selina's friend "Jen" and was told sorry we're not looking for urban. You can even say that WB and Schumacher could have brought back Billy Dee Williams to transform Dent into Two Face, since Burton was still producer and they did bring back Hingle & Gough to play Gordon & Alfred. Yet they recast him with Tommy Lee Jones.

WatchProtect and Chris Reeves like this.
  25. Eddie Dean Jokerfied

There's like two black characters in the Nolan films and one is Morgan Freeman lol