Jeffrey Wright IS Commissioner Gordon

But crazy Pitt is hardly what he relies on. And his performance in 12 monkeys couldn’t be further from what he’s like in real life. You want an actor who only plays himself? Matt Damon. He’s not a bad actor but he’s limited and that’s why I will never see him as a great actor. I don’t like him period but at best I could say that he does one thing well or adequately. But he’s not great overall. I don’t throw that word around just for anybody.

Matt Damon is great in Good Will Hunting and better than some of the other people we're talking about.

I disagree and think he’s one of the most overrated actors of his generation. He’s fine in everything. Good Will Hunting included. He’s not in Cruise’s league and even Pitt is a better actor.

But crazy Pitt is hardly what he relies on. And his performance in 12 monkeys couldn’t be further from what he’s like in real life. You want an actor who only plays himself? Matt Damon. He’s not a bad actor but he’s limited and that’s why I will never see him as a great actor. I don’t like him period but at best I could say that he does one thing well or adequately. But he’s not great overall. I don’t throw that word around just for anybody.
Hate to break it to you, but John Wayne wasn’t a tough guy who threw around a punch and went after bad guys, he was a rich guy who avoided military service. Pitt in 12 Monkeys is talking faster than normal and does a weird thing with his eyes, but he’s still very Brad Pitt. It’s the same range as dark, brooding Wayne in The Searchers and light, comedic Wayne in Rio Bravo.

Ripely alone qualifies Damon for great status IMO.

Hate to break it to you, but John Wayne wasn’t a tough guy who threw around a punch and went after bad guys, he was a rich guy who avoided military service. Pitt in 12 Monkeys is talking faster than normal and does a weird thing with his eyes, but he’s still very Brad Pitt. It’s the same range as dark, brooding Wayne in The Searchers and light, comedic Wayne in Rio Bravo.

Ripely alone qualifies Damon for great status IMO.
Wayne was a racist to the core white dude who for most of his career played a white racist dude who targeted Hollywood’s idea of the bad guys aka “Indians”. And I was NOT talking about characterization, I was talking about behavior, nuance, expression. Who I saw on screen a million times in terms of behavior, was the same guy delivering a speech for an Oscar.

Who I would say can do both kind of acting! His Gordon is very much playing into his hangdog, gruff persona but he can also do stuff like Basquiat and Shaft, although not recently.

Brando and the method ruined people’s perception of what good acting is.

I would love to get some real meaty drama scenes to do with Gordon's life and past with the family. If his wife left him and he's an alcoholic or something and a bit washed up until he meets Batman there will be tons of material for Wright to work with. He's gonna crush it

I would love to get some real meaty drama scenes to do with Gordon's life and past with the family. If his wife left him and he's an alcoholic or something and a bit washed up until he meets Batman there will be tons of material for Wright to work with. He's gonna crush it

We've heard that pretty much the whole movie is from Bruce/Batman's POV, so I don't know how much we'll get into Gordon's personal life away from his interactions with Batman.

Yeah. Eddie did point out the Riddler scene with the mayor isn't Bruce's POV so I'm sure there will be a couple establishing scenes for different characters though. I'm sure we'll get some good insight into Gordon's past through dialogue with Batman too.

Wright is a great actor. Subtlety and nuance is what I love to see. When you don’t feel like they’re acting. Wright can pull that off in spades. He’s got gravitas for days. He’s also giving off that Danny Glover (or Morgan Freeman in Seven) “I’m getting too old for this ****” atttude. It’s so perfect for Gordon. I’m guessing he becomes the Commish at the end.

Will we finally get a Gordon who smokes? Probably not. :(

While I wanted a fully formed Batman and Gordon so we could just hit the ground running, if this warrants a trilogy, I wouldn't mind it taking 2 films for Gordon to become Commissioner. Show how arduous that journey would be in a city like that.

I'd also like Gordon to investigate who Batman is, similar to Year One. Hell, I hope he suspects Bruce the whole time but can't quite put a finger on it. I can't imagine any Commissioner worth a damn not being curious about who this guy is, ally or not.

Sidebar, I hope none of the villains die either, and continue to haunt Batman throughout the series like Nolan's Scarecrow. Movie Batman always seems to kill or avoid dealing with the same villains across multiple films, it kind of misses the point...

Last edited:
I've thought for a while now that since the GCPD show is Year 1 and the film is Year 2, they could set a Catwoman, Arkham, or any kind of show in Year 3 and then so on with a film Sequel in Year 4 just so things can be addressed like him becoming Commissioner in a show, or Batman sending someone to Arkham in year 3, then we see the character escape in Year 5 and stuff like that

I've thought for a while now that since the GCPD show is Year 1 and the film is Year 2, they could set a Catwoman, Arkham, or any kind of show in Year 3 and then so on with a film Sequel in Year 4 just so things can be addressed like him becoming Commissioner in a show, or Batman sending someone to Arkham in year 3, then we see the character escape in Year 5 and stuff like that
If that’s the case then Catwoman for year 3, and when you get to a batman sequel in year 4, maybe something already happened to Dent.

Looks like we’ll have a leaner Gordon for the prequel show and movie sequels. Good for him!

''From the rooter to the tooter, baby'' is a sentence I didn't need to read today.

Jeffrey Wright No Time To Die James Bond Cover Story

And while there’s been a big to-do about the decision to cede previous Batman Ben Affleck’s cape and cowl to Pattinson, it isn’t the only casting choice fans are buzzing about: much has been made of Wright being cast as the first Black Commissioner James “Jim” Gordon in the DC Comics universe. Which, quite frankly, he finds to be asinine. He hasn’t reinvented the wheel, and he doesn’t feel this is a conversation we should be having in the 21st century.

“If you give it a little bit of thought, Batman and the characters within Gotham City are fluid, evolving creatures,” he says. “It would be doing a disservice, in fact, to these stories and to the history if we were actually beholden to the details of the original. When Shakespeare wrote female characters, they were written to be played by young boys. Are we to hold on to that tradition now in the 21st century because that was the limited lane that people were allowed at the time? It’s ridiculous. Beyond that, Gordon is many things. He’s relative to Gotham City, to the Gotham City police department, to Batman, to justice and to corruption — and none of those things require that he be white.”

He continues, “There have been some who I think have made more of it than they probably should, which I think reveals some deficiency [in our country]. In its first iteration in 1939, Gotham City was fashioned after an American metropolis much like New York City or Chicago. In 1939, New York was 90 percent white. The power structure in law enforcement in that city at that time would not have been inclusive of someone who looked like me; that’s the historical fact. But as these stories have continually evolved over these many decades, not only through the comics but also through the films, they’ve been reinterpreted through writers, directors and actors to be more contemporary to the times than they were made. Right now, if we were to imagine a Gotham City based on an American metropolis, to think of it as a place that’s only inhabited by white people is to be pretty idiotic. To be beholden to the demographic reality of 1939 urban America — what the f–k is the purpose of that?”

...When has any live-action depiction of Gotham seemed 90% white, though? :whatever:

Yeah, the more diversity among the major "name" characters the better. Black Gordon is rad. But yeah, any reasonable person would figure Burton's, Schumacher's or Nolan's Gotham alike didn't come off as some honky 50's Howdy-Doody thing.

...When has any live-action depiction of Gotham seemed 90% white, though? :whatever:

Yeah, the more diversity among the major "name" characters the better. Black Gordon is rad. But yeah, any reasonable person would figure Burton's, Schumacher's or Nolan's Gotham alike didn't come off as some honky 50's Howdy-Doody thing.
But they are 90 percent white. From the extras to actors.

Hell, Bane and Ras aren't white and yet they were in Nolan's movies. Zoe even auditioned for Hathaway/Selina's friend "Jen" and was told sorry we're not looking for urban. You can even say that WB and Schumacher could have brought back Billy Dee Williams to transform Dent into Two Face, since Burton was still producer and they did bring back Hingle & Gough to play Gordon & Alfred. Yet they recast him with Tommy Lee Jones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"