Gotham Commissioner James Gordon Origins Series

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question for the mods/administrators: How come this series doesn't have a section of its own yet?

Some thoughts on what we know about the series so far:
* I really like the idea of doing an 'Origins' show that is as much about Gordon as it is about Bruce and others

* It's going to be neat seeing 'proto' versions of characters we know and love/love to hate, especially a teenage Selina

* Jada Pinkett Smith being part of the show as a series regular is a pretty major coup, especially since she's the only cast member I recognize

Jada Pinkett Smith is a C list celebrity married to an A list celebrity. How long did her TNT series last?

I liked her in Collateral.

I think she could make for a good villain as well. There's something scary about her.

I'm not saying she's not talented... Just that her name doesn't carry much cache.

I'm not saying she's not talented... Just that her name doesn't carry much cache.

That's your opinion.

I will flat-out guarantee you that some people who wouldn't otherwise pay attention to the show will check it out based simply on recognizing her name.

How long did her TNT series last?

3 seasons, and its cancellation is irrelevant to her 'name recognition' and what impact it will have on this show.

That's your opinion.

Do I have to preface everything I say with "IMHO" for some dingus to understand it's an opinion? I'm aware what I said was my opinion, but I appreciate you letting me know, in case I somehow forgot.

I will flat-out guarantee you that some people who wouldn't otherwise pay attention to the show will check it out based simply on recognizing her name.

Her children don't count.

The only thing I've seen her in is Hawthorne and I thought she was very good in it.

As to her celebrity status there's no doubt she is the most well-known actor in the series. Frankly it doesn't matter if her fame derives from saving a 4 year old girl who fell down a well.

Anything that helps generate interest in this series is a plus right now because fanbois are pooping on the premise all over the internet.

Having her as a major character also makes me think we may see Bruce pull a bit of Year One's "I'll investigate the streets up close to understand this city" thing, but with him joining Selina to understand it rather than fighting her due to assaulting Holly.

And this scenario has some very awesome suggestions when you consider this may allow them to tackle the whole "rich boy has no idea what it's like on the streets" thing early on. If they can give Bruce a cynical but altruistic edge as a kid, he'll probably appeal even more.

Now I'm also hoping for Leslie Thompkins. Alfred needs a bird, and if Selina and Bruce are going to hang out (and they might actually just be featuring in different plot threads), then we need to see the maternal figure in both their lives.
Bingo. This is exactly where my head went after my original post last night. Young Bruce being shown the streets by Selina, possibly searching for Joe Chill could be a great arc for season 1.

Also been thinking about Leslie. Always wanted her in the films. Really underused and important character I hope they use in this show because it's about young Bruce.

I just have this feeling that we'll see Selena beat up Bruce.

Interesting. I bet Bruce won't mind too much. :woot:

I guess it depends on how they chose to portray Bruce. Either he likes it or would be annoyed by it.

with the success of the arkham series, the nolan series, smallville, arrow, and DC's animated features I only see this show as a major success even if its only moderately well written.

Interesting. I bet Bruce won't mind too much. :woot:

I am intrigued by the comedy that could exist if Bruce starts going through puberty and hitting the hormones part hard while around Selina. Mostly because its just hard to think of Batman being awkward with a girl, and I'm just picturing him getting scowl-ier when she figures it out.

I'm just picturing him getting scowl-ier when she figures it out.

Yeah, that would be great. The Bat & the Cat always had strong overtones of kink in the comics. In the TV show & Batman Returns it was more overt, and oddly enough it wasn't emphasized as much in TDKR where the attraction seemed a bit more normal.

Question for the mods/administrators: How come this series doesn't have a section of its own yet?

Some thoughts on what we know about the series so far:
* I really like the idea of doing an 'Origins' show that is as much about Gordon as it is about Bruce and others

* It's going to be neat seeing 'proto' versions of characters we know and love/love to hate, especially a teenage Selina

* Jada Pinkett Smith being part of the show as a series regular is a pretty major coup, especially since she's the only cast member I recognize
I get annoyed at people complaining for a section for Flash and Constantine but I agree that this should have its own section since it's being ordered directly to series.

Yeah, again, get this thing a section please.

Also, anyone else think that Mr. Zsasz might make an appearance in this show? He's usually already a prolific killer by the time Batman appears, and having a serial killer with a subpar IQ might be a nice change up, considering all the cliches they generally play with that type of murderer.

They can probably bring in Mad Hatter easily too.

Jervis is already delusional and obsessed with Alice in Wonderland before Batman shows up.

Yeah, again, get this thing a section please.

Also, anyone else think that Mr. Zsasz might make an appearance in this show? He's usually already a prolific killer by the time Batman appears, and having a serial killer with a subpar IQ might be a nice change up, considering all the cliches they generally play with that type of murderer.

Good idea about having Zsasz around, but I think we're going to get a lot of character "composites" while they focus on some pretty heavy names in Gotham mythos.

Jervis is already delusional and obsessed with Alice in Wonderland before Batman shows up.

In the context of this series I'd bet he shows up. A lot of the possible fun in this series will be seeing certain characters before they become extreme, and I think that's organic to a young Gordon as a character anyway.

Zsasz would be easy to do in a cop show, he's just a serial killer after all.
Riddler (or maybe just call him Edward Nygma to begin with) could be a genius who's bored and decides to play mind games with Gordon and the Gotham PD, purely as a challenge.
Black Mask, Carmine Falcone, Sal Maroni, Rupert Thorne, etc could simply be mobsters.
Madder Hatter could just be a crazy guy who's obsessed with Alice and Wonderland (Batman didn't start that obsession).

Basil Karlo would be a good villian to add in like the 3rd season.
A crazed actor turned serial killer.
I am thinking the way Karlo was originally protray in the Goldenage of Detective Comics.
He could wear a clay like mask.

He could be a crazy hybrid of new and old.

Inspired by T-1000, LeatherFace and Michael Myers.
Depending on how dark the show can get - he removes peoples faces' and wears them as masks. Subtly switching identities and mannerisms with the different faces he wears.
Or creates Clay masks resembling different people he's murdered.

I can see Selina beating up Mad Hatter !

If they have Sleina and Bruce hanging out together, they could show them both learning boxing from Ted Grant. He's traditionally an instructor for both, and seeing a believable start to both of them becoming badasses would be nice.

I personally think all of Bruce's traditional Rogues Gallery is up for grabs in terms of being explored on this show through the prism of Gordon and the GCPD, but some are probably more likely to show up faster than others depending on how long it lasts.

I do find myself wondering if they'll stick to the comics and have Joe Chill be Thomas and Martha's killer or if they'll pull a 'Batman '89' and connect their murder to a more prominent Bat-villain, especially with a teenage Bruce being heavily involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"