Homecoming John Francis Daley & Jonathan M. Goldstein ARE Sony & Marvel's 'Spider-Man' Writers

I'm excited to see what's going on but it might take a sequel to get really good.

I was worried about writers for this one and I'm worried even more now considering that these guys have some pretty mediocre movies around their belt, not to mention Vacation which is as I'm writing this getting smashed by the critics - and they even directed that one. After Kurtzman and Orci I was expecting someone really good considering what they've done to the franchise.

I was worried about writers for this one and I'm worried even more now considering that these guys have some pretty mediocre movies around their belt, not to mention Vacation which is as I'm writing this getting smashed by the critics - and they even directed that one. After Kurtzman and Orci I was expecting someone really good considering what they've done to the franchise.

Right? It feels like Marvel Studios is a superstar CBM company and yet they have yet to hire someone really big to write or direct. Granted it's worked for them before, but that doesn't mean it always will. This might actually be their weakest team yet.

Right? It feels like Marvel Studios is a superstar CBM company and yet they have yet to hire someone really big to write or direct. Granted it's worked for them before, but that doesn't mean it always will. This might actually be their weakest team yet.

I was many times wrong in judging directors or writers of some movies in the past, and I always take stuff with a grain of salt these days, but I really don't know about this team as you said. But we'll see. It's too early to predict. What I like is the things they say about John Hughes style of the film (mainly because I like his movies), but I won't get overjoyed.

Again I said this a few times just cause they may have had some stinkers doesn't mean spidey is all doom and gloom. Again if this was just sony I be worried but kevin is spearheading things. And kevin and the writers have all talked about correct elements for the character.

Plus again look at stuff directors and writers for mcu films did prior they all have their stinkers and look at the mcu films turned out well.

I want to know why Jon Watts isn't writing. They thought Watts was the right person to direct it, but not the right person to write it? And they didn't think Daley and Goldstein were the right people to direct, but the right people to write?

I am sure he will have his hands on script along with Kevin and some others before the film has shooting script.

I want to know why Jon Watts isn't writing. They thought Watts was the right person to direct it, but not the right person to write it? And they didn't think Daley and Goldstein were the right people to direct, but the right people to write?

Quite sure he'll collaborate with them on certain tones of the script perhaps.

There are plenty of individuals Marvel has hired it's possible to be immediately excited about, but there are others that you can only be excited about after the fact. There are also others that are essentially forgotten about because Marvel replaced them down the line. I think Marvel has earned enough respect to wait and see on this hiring. There are three possibilities: They fall under the first category and are hits, they fall under the second category and are replaced without issue, or they fall under the third category and Marvel has its first flop. There's no reason to think we'll be in category three, so I wouldn't worry this early.

Look at the other mcu films. Most of those directors did end up helping in script or more then one set of hands worked over the script.

Feige is essential holding the fate of Spider-Man in film in the palm of his hands. Him, Pascal and Marvel/Sony can NOT afford to mess this up.

And for me with all kevin has said so far. He gets the character. So again if the script isn't what kevin likes or want things will change or these writers gone. They only just started. So we have no clue how things will be again come ten months from now and film is shooting.

Kenneth Branagh is an Academy Award nominated director.

Ya but thing is you dont always need a a lister writer or director on a project. It's more important if said folks get and understand the character. Now sure ya I love a big name. But that doesn't always mean film be a success.

Again I said this a few times just cause they may have had some stinkers doesn't mean spidey is all doom and gloom. Again if this was just sony I be worried but kevin is spearheading things. And kevin and the writers have all talked about correct elements for the character.

Plus again look at stuff directors and writers for mcu films did prior they all have their stinkers and look at the mcu films turned out well.

Some stinkers? All of their movies have been garbage except for one (the 1st Horrible Bosses). Even the other MCU writers/directors had better resumes (except Zak Penn lol)

Personally I feel it's matter of opinion thrre but again. Just cause folks haven't liked their past work. Shouldn't be all doom and gloom thinking they will screw spidey.

I think if everyone has some faith, it just might turn out okay.

I think we'd all agree that if they got writers and a director with at least some kind of decent resume there'd be less of a fuss. There's just too much riding on this first film. More importantly, I'd like to know these guys have a solid understanding of the character of Peter/Spider-Man. I'm remaining faithful that Feige knows what he's doing with these guys and will lead them properly, but...if this all turns out to be poop, it'll be very easy to know where we can point fingers.

It's gonna go through so many drafts and rewrites, I don't think it's going to matter. But yeah... these guys kinda suck.

It's gonna go through so many drafts and rewrites, I don't think it's going to matter. But yeah... these guys kinda suck.

Which begs the question, "why not just hire the guy you hired to rewrite in the first place?"

If it's gonna take a bunch of passes from a bunch of people, it doesn't sound like choosing these guys was the best idea. Why not do it right the first time?

I said it before I just hate all the negative posts. Yrs I get the concernd. But come on with marvel controlling things. I am sure we will get a good take that shows the core essences of the characters done well. Again film is 10 months from filming. And they haven't even started on script yet. So much can change from now and then. Will they be on project the whole time. Will others come in we dont know but I am more ok with things with marvel here if it was just sony I be more worried that we have to many hands in the cookie jar that lead the asm series astray.

Which begs the question, "why not just hire the guy you hired to rewrite in the first place?"

If it's gonna take a bunch of passes from a bunch of people, it doesn't sound like choosing these guys was the best idea. Why not do it right the first time?

It's definitely a risk. Especially with the amount of weight this first solo film is carrying.

The way I see it...Goldstein and Daley probably sold Feige during some chats or interviews with their ideas and/or their presentation. Now maybe they're not the writers that he'd pick as the first choice, maybe some other peeps were either too busy or not available, but also there's the possibility that they have what Feige is looking for. The energy and desire to do something great...maybe they even hit it off together as they were passing ideas around. Who knows.

In Hollywood, sometimes all you need is a credit to your name just to get your foot in the door. This Vacation movie is probably going to be garbage but doesn't just about every filmmaker or actor have at least one crap movie tied to themselves? I'd say in most cases, yes.

In my first choice I would have hired someone with not only knowledge about the character but also has success in this type of genre in one form or another to at least be apart of the creative process. We have Feige, yes, but to add another name to the roster would have inspired more confidence. On the flip side, I'm not going to outright bash these writers cause they have nothing to show at the moment. Just as every filmmaker has some crap tied to their name, many also have a breakout one too.

Totally the best writers, actors, and directors all have their fair share of crap. And just cause they had some crappy projects doesn't mean every project will be like that. Along with marvel controlling creative side of things. And it be marvel vision I am sure kevin saw things in them he liked and if after scripts come in if it's not working things will just change and the writers could move on or others cone in. So much unknowns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"