John Murphy/The Score & Composer Thread

Something like this maybe…

But this is a new film and a new iteration of Superman. He deserves his own theme.

The composer, be it John Murphy or whoever Gunn will work with, can certainly rework Williams’ theme in a more modern arrangement. Elfman and Lorne Balfe did it quite well for JL and Black Adam.

In fact, Murphy has done just that. His score for Millions was a temp track lift from Elfman’s Edward Scissorhands and he used Jerry Goldsmith’s themes in Basic Instinct 2. And he even quoted Bates’ GOTG theme twice in GOTG V3.

Gunn is going to do what he wants to do, but if he and Murphy use Williams’ themes I won’t complain one bit.

Really not keen on hearing that theme again. Just be fresh.

I think it's fairly safe to say we will hear the Williams theme at some point ( if only a second or two ) but I think they’ll come up with a brand new theme as the main one.

I think it's fairly safe to say we will hear the Williams theme at some point ( if only a second or two ) but I think they’ll come up with a brand new theme as the main one.
Personally I think it's done with, I don't think they will even have a little nod to it. Just a whole new theme and out with the old.

Maybe, but Gunn loves the Donner version of superman so I wouldn't bet on it being there or not.

Not this topic again. :annoyed:

Make a new theme and stop relying on an old version because of beloved nostalgia. The John Williams theme should not be used here under any circumstances.

I'm pretty sure the majority of film goers ( not here ) would disagree.

It makes no difference to me if it's there or not, but, it is highly recognizable TO THE PAYING public as consequential superman.
I dare say it's as important to them as is indy's theme is to him, the star wars theme, or the jaws beat.

There is a reason that theme is snuck into TV shows, films, animated films, and games. It's also played at sporting events, air shows, concerts etc.
Why is that I wonder? Because it screams heroic, it screams superman. Two chords of it can start and you instantly recognize it for what it is.
If he ( gunn ) wants to reinvent the wheel, then by all means, reinvent it.

So I guess we shall see. I look forward to whatever happens.

I'm pretty sure the majority of film goers ( not here ) would disagree.

It makes no difference to me if it's there or not, but, it is highly recognizable TO THE PAYING public as consequential superman.
I dare say it's as important to them as is indy's theme is to him, the star wars theme, or the jaws beat.

There is a reason that theme is snuck into TV shows, films, animated films, and games. It's also played at sporting events, air shows, concerts etc.
Why is that I wonder? Because it screams heroic, it screams superman. Two chords of it can start and you instantly recognize it for what it is.
If he ( gunn ) wants to reinvent the wheel, then by all means, reinvent it.

So I guess we shall see. I look forward to whatever happens.
I think it snuck it's way into every other film/show whatever is because they weren't that good and so what better than pepper spraying someone with nostalgia.

I would bet $5 au it won't be used.

I won't bet either way.
Like I said, it really doesn't matter to me if it's in there or not, but I don't make the decisions.

Gunn announced John Murphy as the composer.

Weird that it’s taken so long to announce when all of Gunn’s other collaborators got confirmed fairly quickly.

I’m alright with it. Wouldn’t be my top choice if I got a vote, but Murphy did some interesting things in The Suicide Squad and GOTG3, and his work with Danny Boyle is legendary ****.

His overall work is kinda meh to me, though he did make some bangers with Sunshine and 28 Days theme. I don't remember anything of his GOTG Vol. 3 or TSS scores. Nevertheless, I hope he goes well beyond my expectations.

I have a strong feeling he'll do just fine.

A good vibe for a Superman film IMO.

tenor.gif

I was 98% sure it was going to be Murphy, but I'm still a little disappointed. I'm a big fan of his work on 28 Days Later & Sunshine, but his superhero is pretty bland. He's an upgrade from Tyler Bates, but not by much. I was hoping for someone with real melodic chops like John Powell, Howard Shore or Christopher Young.

So far this has been Gunn's biggest misstep (along with his choice of cinematographer), but I'd love to be proven wrong.

To give Murphy some credit, Adagio in D Minor is fantastic. It's great in Sunshine, but Kick-Ass and Wonder Woman 1984 also used it well. If Superman's theme is on this level I'll be plenty satisfied.

tenor.gif

I was 98% sure it was going to be Murphy, but I'm still a little disappointed. I'm a big fan of his work on 28 Days Later & Sunshine, but his superhero is pretty bland. He's an upgrade from Tyler Bates, but not by much. I was hoping for someone with real melodic chops like John Powell, Howard Shore or Christopher Young.

So far this has been Gunn's biggest misstep (along with his choice of cinematographer), but I'd love to be proven wrong.

To give Murphy some credit, Adagio in D Minor is fantastic. It's great in Sunshine, but Kick-Ass and Wonder Woman 1984 also used it well. If Superman's theme is on this level I'll be plenty satisfied.

I'm not going to say this is a bad tune as it obviously isn't and I know you aren't saying "use this tune" but rather "This quality" but I want something more Bumpah Bah! Superman! Fun and happy sounding.

This music reminds me too much of MOS and how we need to take Superman like he is the most important thing ever, it makes him come across a bit pretentious when the music makes him seem so important.

I want fun and adventure and romantic sounding.

P.s I don't want John Williams theme.

I'm not going to say this is a bad tune as it obviously isn't and I know you aren't saying "use this tune" but rather "This quality" but I want something more Bumpah Bah! Superman! Fun and happy sounding.

This music reminds me too much of MOS and how we need to take Superman like he is the most important thing ever, it makes him come across a bit pretentious when the music makes him seem so important.

I want fun and adventure and romantic sounding.

P.s I don't want John Williams theme.
Totally. The cue was plays during a character's death, so of course it'll a little too melodramatic for Superman. It also has a bit of a trailer music kind of vibe, which is indicative of Murphy's overall career and something I'm not a big fan of, but it's nice enough.

I just wonder if Legacy's score will play more to Murphy's strengths and be more sound design-y in nature, or if he'll try to stretch himself and go fully symphonic. And how much source music is Gunn going to cram in? That's something Superman's never had before (unless you count Smallville, which I don't).

Totally. The cue was plays during a character's death, so of course it'll a little too melodramatic for Superman. It also has a bit of a trailer music kind of vibe, which is indicative of Murphy's overall career and something I'm not a big fan of, but it's nice enough.

I just wonder if Legacy's score will play more to Murphy's strengths and be more sound design-y in nature, or if he'll try to stretch himself and go fully symphonic. And how much source music is Gunn going to cram in? That's something Superman's never had before (unless you count Smallville, which I don't).
I think we will have Gunns use of music in the film but ideally not as much as he did in the past.

In GOTG3 it was starting to feel like a music video, having a needle drop almost every other minute.

I know he carried it over to pretty much everything but I hope he doesn't go wild with the needle drops.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"