John Wick 3: Parabellum

I have a feeling JW 4 will be the last one, so all this back and forth about staleness and repetition might be moot.

The series isn't losing steam but it is starting to overstay its welcome. 4 needs to be the final chapter IMo.

I just want more of a story to drive the kills in the future, that's all. I personally, and emphasis on personal, felt a little numb by all the action by the time he got to the final boss because i almost forgot why he was mowing down all these faceless goons in the first place. I just for some reason didn't feel as viscerally connected to the action as opposed to part 2 when he was wounded and making his way through an assassin filled New York with everyone out to kill him after being betrayed by Santino.

I think the way part 3 ends sets up a better story for part 4 though. John Wick is pissed off and presumably will be unhinged. Up until now we've seen him be surgical and calculated. I think part 4 is where we seem him give no f***'s and take things real personal.

Proving that people have found John Wick 3 a bit long in the tooth and that the series is starting to feel repetitive, the movie dropped a measly 17% this weekend domestically, for another 6.1m. It is consistently beating the estimated weekend drops by a lot. It is now at 148m domestically (beating pretty much all the big blockbusters not from Disney this summer so far), and 276m WW total.

John Wick responding to all those hot takes on how the series is losing steam:

7cZtmmC.gif

I honestly think the reason it's doing so well is because the competition is weak. Audiences are more savvy to reviews in this age of Rotten Tomatoes that we live in and this is one of the best reviewed films out there compared to everything else having bad word of mouth surrounding them (Godzilla, Dark Phoenix, Men In Black).

Very well deserved. Hoping it reaches 168M at the domestic box office to achieve a 3X multiplier.

Keanu is on the top of the world!

I wish I had a gun to shoot bottles or cans in my backyard to celebrate

Finally got a chance to see JW 3! like the first 2 films, I was hooked from the moment it started. I loved it! The only thing I didn't love was the ending...

I'm glad John and the Bowery King are joining forces to rebel against the High Table, but I hope Winston and Charon don't become the enemy. I really want them part of the rebellion too.

Overall, I think this is my 2nd favorite of franchise. But it's hard to rank them because they're all so freaking good.

9/10

Wow. This is pretty much John Wick 2 all over again. Not that that's a bad thing, but was hoping for a more varied, intricate plot. Halle Berry, Fishburn seemed just merely support and insignificant as the plot is so basic revolving only around the essentials of John's survival.

Amazing and creative choreography nonetheless and just pure eye candy in design and cinematography. U can't fault this series so far tho as it does accomplishes what it sets out to do and nothing more.. Non-stop entertainment, grounded long action takes, beautiful gun-play mix with hand to hand.
8/10

This movie was really entertaining but I still think the first one is the best. Too much suspension of disbelief was needed for this one, especially with the ending.

My only real complaint is that the film did not move the needle much in terms of the story.
Of course it did. Has any movie moved the story and status of the world more then this one? It kind of changed everything.

This series can keep going as long as Keanu is game and if they remain at this quality. There's still a lot you can do.

I know this is unpopular opinion but I was bored by this. By the third or fourth gunfight, I ended up fast forwarding through most of it as it felt repetitive. The world building also felt forced.

The first movie was a nice, compact story, that hinted that there was a code to the underworld, but it was beneath the surface. This movie just does away with it and adds unnecessary things that don't make sense in the large scheme of things. There's a secret High Table that apparently controls everything using old time-y operators? But then there's someone above them that can veto them? And they have rules about not killing at the Continental, but aren't sophisticated to figure out that Wick was set up in the second one?

I hope the next one focuses more on character and finds the right balance between action (which in general is still well done) and the human element.

I know this is unpopular opinion but I was bored by this. By the third or fourth gunfight, I ended up fast forwarding through most of it as it felt repetitive. The world building also felt forced.

The first movie was a nice, compact story, that hinted that there was a code to the underworld, but it was beneath the surface. This movie just does away with it and adds unnecessary things that don't make sense in the large scheme of things. There's a secret High Table that apparently controls everything using old time-y operators? But then there's someone above them that can veto them? And they have rules about not killing at the Continental, but aren't sophisticated to figure out that Wick was set up in the second one?

I hope the next one focuses more on character and finds the right balance between action (which in general is still well done) and the human element.

Didn't matter if he was set up or not. The rule was that you don't kill at the continental.

I'm right there with you. The action is solid, but it isn't as meaningful as it was. The first fight was cool for the most part, and the gunplay in the final fight was cool, but man, that last fight in the glass room went on...forever.
Don't get me wrong, my male-ness enjoys the action, but for me, the last fight with the 3 dudes (who went unnamed) seemed like John was never in any danger. meh.

As for the world-building, I like it, but I'm just curious where it's going. If we've seen the tippy-top of it all, then part 4 needs to wrap it up. Give us straight up John Wick Boogeyman wiping them out. Maybe fast forward a year or something. I don't know. I'll watch it...and if it comes out the same day as Matrix 4, then I'll see it in the theaters just to NOT see Matrix 4.

How long before they cancel Keanu?

:o

I legitimately am still trying to figure out what scene this is suppose to be. Casablanca maybe? Also I like the "American" part of the complaint. Because the two people doing the killing of their fellow assassins aren't white. But what makes that even better, is Jardani is from Belarus.

I legitimately am still trying to figure out what scene this is suppose to be. Casablanca maybe? Also I like the "American" part of the complaint. Because the two people doing the killing of their fellow assassins aren't white. But what makes that even better, is Jardani is from Belarus.

Yup. Casablanca sequence. Also, John Wick aint no american hero, he is a brutal assassin, just has the charm and played by all good dude Keanu.

I mean, nearly 20 years of Americans dreaming of rampaging in the middle east are bound to leave an impression.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blacktopolis24
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"