Josh Brolin is Cable

Discussion in 'Deadpool 2' started by Marvel Spider, Apr 12, 2017.

1. kasjan

kasjan Well-Known Member

Odin should be bigger than Thor, but was short too.
    Crossbones...

I loved Terminator theme in first half of movie when we saw Cable scenes.

Still won't be like in comic.
    He's just from future 40-50 years after present time, not from further future.

Thanos looks good, but Juggernaut definitely not, he looks totally fake.
    And Colossus always in metal form. I prefer Colossus from X-Men movies, even if he doesn't have this Russian accent. I want to see Piotr face in scenes when he doesn't need to show how he's strong or has to fight.

2. RockSP

RockSP MYTH SMITH ∞!!!

No comic book movie is just like the comic.

[​IMG] That doesn't have anything to do with if he has the virus or not.

3. The Infernal

The Infernal Mky Mk

I liked Cable, but they did skim the surface with character. Thanos is definitely the superior Brolin portrayed character this year. Admittedly there's so much to Cable that you may never explore it all (or even want to), but I still would have liked more exploration. His role as The Terminator works because it's so simple, but when it comes to joining forces it feels abrupt and there isn't enough time spent with Deadpool it makes the ending a little less convincing to me.

I did see somewhere that even the writers don't know if Cable is a mutant in this. That would be a major bad move imo, even the techno-organic virus to a lesser extent as these are defining features of Cable. Hopefully X-force with Cable as lead they can establish him properly.

4. -JKR-

-JKR- Well-Known Member

He definitely has the techno-organic virus, and they deliberately just cherry-picked the elements from his lenghty history that would serve this particular story. Brolin himself has been saying for about a year that the Cable we see in this is merely going to be the tip of the iceberg, an introduction to the character, who would be further fleshed out down the line.

As I've said in the Domino thread, this isn't Cable & Deadpool, it's Deadpool 2, and I think that they've done the new characters justice so far. Stuffing the movie with elements and plotlines which are disconnected from the actual storyline wouldn't have a great solution, either, and would've likely confused or left the audience cold. Now it's time to further delve into their worlds in X-Force.

5. The Infernal

The Infernal Mky Mk

Yeah. I get the point about not delving into the characters where it doesn't really serve the story, but it feels like a bit of an excuse for why they come up short as characters in this movie.

The last part of the movie, for me, stumbles because there isn't quite that rapore between Cable and Deadpool. That's not to do with Cable's background, they could have just literally said "he's a mutant" and have a throwaway line referencing his techno-organic virus and I'd be happy in those aspects.

Domino I still feel got very little in terms of real character and that doesn't come down to the role they wrote for her as opposed to backstory they didn't wish to bog down the movie with.

6. -JKR-

-JKR- Well-Known Member

Not really an excuse. The connection between Wade and Cable is that they've both lost their loved ones, and that they both

make one final sacrifice at the end of the movie.

Which is far more important than putting in a throwaway line about him being a mutant (by the way, didn't one of the DMC guards refert to him as a mutant?) or the techno-virus... which he CLEARLY has in the movie. It's beautifully hinted at in the mirror scene. That's definitely not a man looking at his awesome robo-enhancements, but one being slightly disgusted and worried about what his body is slowly turning into. Why does everything need to spelt out these days? :whatever:

Domino is a supporting player and basically a side-kick in this one. She'll get her time to be further developed. This was not really it.

Last edited: May 26, 2018
  7. The Infernal

The Infernal Mky Mk

No idea about the dmc guard. I didn't catch it if he did. I don't think it's a big ask for them to have acknowledge Cable being a mutant in the film. What worries me is that the creative team are saying that's an open question at this point. Are the writers on Drew Goddard's X-force the same guys or are we hoping for a new creative team to pick that route? Same with the virus. I believe that scene is a subtle hint at it, but it could easily not be. I read into that scene him being disgusted with the effects of the virus, but I'm not about to go passing what I read into a scene as fact. :wink:

8. -JKR-

-JKR- Well-Known Member

You're reading too much into it. It's an "open question" in the sense that that's not what they're focusing on in this movie. Not that they're unsure about whether or not make him a mutant. There is no need for someone to drop a "He's a mutant" line. Cable's storyline in this one was about stopping Russell. And I'm pretty sure the DMC guard DID actually call him a mutant when he breaks into the Ice Box, and yes, the mirror scene is DEFINITELY a hint at the techno-virus. And if you don't want to believe me or even what you saw for yourself on the screen, just trust David Leitch (who directed the freakin' thing), since he's confirmed it as being the virus.
    These guys know what they're doing. Whatever stuff hasn't been addressed about the character in the movie was intentionally left out, as it just didn't serve the story.
    Come on, man, you didn't find out EVERYTHING about Cable in the first issue he appeared in the comics. Everything we know about him we found out of the span of years and hundreds of comic book issues.
    They got the character right. And we've got an X-Force movie to look forward to, where they can focus on the other characters besides Deadpool.

Last edited: May 26, 2018
  9. The Infernal

The Infernal Mky Mk

Didn't know about about Leitch confirming that. Hopefully X-force's creative team can carry that intention forward.

Maybe I am reading too much into the undefined status of Cable's mutancy. On the other hand it could be another plot point like X-force team members where they really couldn't do anything that could potentially impact Drew Goddard's unwritten film.

10. Guard82

Guard82 Well-Known Member

They really did a good job with Cable for his first outing in Deadppol 2. It was a good intro to the character with all the basic elements in place. Josh Brolin has been having quite a banner year.

11. RLAAMJR.

RLAAMJR. Ororo Munroe's Boyfriend

Not a fan of Brolin as Cable. John Cena would have been the right actor as Cable.

12. NotNickFury

NotNickFury Well-Known Member

For a serious Cable or as a parody of him?

13. RLAAMJR.

RLAAMJR. Ororo Munroe's Boyfriend

Brolin's bulky body wasn't broad enough to look like Cable. Fact is, his body physique which looked thin made him look old still. He made Cable uninteresting.

John Cena is like a Cable version in real life.

[​IMG]

14. hellblazer103

hellblazer103 Nasty Piece of Work

[YT]oHC1230OpOg[/YT]