Jude Law, Robert DeNiro in Thor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Double Down

A New Kind of Thrill
Reaction score
Are Jude Law and Robert DeNiro aboard THOR? Seems like they are, but as who?

Hey folks, Harry here with the latest bit of Superhero Film Casting News and it is very strange indeed. According to actor, Matthias Schweighöfer, who you may have seen in VALKYRIE or RED BARON - in an article in the German edition of Gentlemen's Quarterly aka GQ, he states that he's in the running for a role in Branagh's THOR, but he also mentions that Jude Law and Robert DeNiro have joined the cast.
Now, I don't doubt that they have, they're very much the sort of Actor I would expect from a Kenneth Branagh helmed THOR film, I'm just absolutely flummoxed to think who they are playing. I have to give thanks to our German reader, "I SAY THEE ****ING KA-JAY!" for giving me the heads up on the article. And for that matter, who would Matthias Schweighöfer play? Interesting times as these Superhero films rush to begin shooting soon!

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/42746

woah if thats true i wonder who they will be?

I don't know how legit this news is: Robert DeNiro and Jude Law? Those are BIG names. I can't help but taking this rumor with a giant heaped handful of salt.

It's funny seeing Jude Law mentioned, as a few people were throwing his name around for Loki. Though others have mentioned him as a good choice for Fandral, and if anything, I'd say that's the role I could best see him in. I dunno, though, it still seems like an awful small role for such a big star. Maybe he could be Balder?

As for Robert DeNiro, that's easy. Odin. Has to be. This is someone considered by many to be the Greatest Actor of All Time, and getting him in a superhero movie is one hell of a coup on Branagh's part IF it's true, something that could put the film on the map in the public consciousness. As such, you don't get DeNiro without giving him a BIG role, and Odin is the meatiest part outside of Thor and Loki.

Bull ****. I can see Law but DeNiro would be a cameo at best. But better than nothing. I just don't see DeNiro though... especially as Odin.

Last edited:
Bull ****. I can see Law but DeNiro would be a cameo at best. But better than nothing. I just don't see DeNiro though... especially as Odin.

I don't disagree that it's most likely BS. But IF, IF, IF it's true, DeNiro isn't just doing a cameo. Like I said, if DeNiro is now involved Branagh pulled off a hell of a coup getting him, so I doubt he'd waste that with a walk-on part. They'll want to put his name on the poster, use him in marketing, and that means giving him a major role in the film. Odin's the only one that fits.

Just... strange would be all. An Australian and English actor as the sons, and an American as Odin? Just figured they were going with an older English actor for the part. You can even say the same thing for Law as far as a big name for a walk-on part, but since he has a good working relationship with Branagh I can see him playing a small part. I know why they'd feel they need a big name for Odin, and maybe they couldn't get Hopkins for the part. But I am not sure about casting DeNiro just to fill that role with a name. I just don't see it fitting based on the Thor/Loki castings. Maybe DeNiro can suprise though.

Just... strange would be all. An Australian and English actor as the sons, and an American as Odin? Just figured they were going with an older English actor for the part. You can even say the same thing for Law, but since he has a good working relationship with Branagh I can see him doing a small part. I know why they'd feel they need a big name like Odin, and maybe they couldn't get Hopkins for the part. But I am not sure about casting DeNiro just to fill that role with a name. I just don't see it fitting based on the Thor/Loki castings. Maybe DeNiro can suprise though.

DeNiro did once pull off a servicable English accent in Frankenstein. Also, funnily enough, directed by Kenneth Branagh.

Well, we'll see. Guess we should have figured Branagh would lure a big name whom he's worked with in the past. I just didn't expect DeNiro.

with, DeNiro, after seeing him in Stardust, nothing really shocks me about the roles he will take these days

an as for, Jude, after hanging out with Downey on the set of Shorlock, he might of caught the marvel bug, wanting to get in on the hero super action him self

it would be good to see some bigs names, but, I am kinda thinking they'll probably over shadow the main cast, who, so, far are mostly unknowns

Nah it won't overshadow the main cast. The focus will be on the new comers. I don't think Marvel would pay these actors for more than supporting roles.

Last edited:
Law and DeNiro have both worked with Branagh before so I would not be surprised

It would just be weird to see DeNiro in a thor movie

DeNiro could be Odin blessed is probably Volstagg

Jude could be Fandral

Can someone put together a set of photos with each rumored/confirmed actor next to a photo of his projected character when anyone has the time? Just to put things in perspective.

here you go FaT_tONle

Chris Hemsworth - Thor
thorhemsworth.jpg

Natalie Portman - Jane Foster
natalieportmanjanefoste.jpg

Jaimie Alexander - Lady Sif
thorjaimiealexander.jpg

Tom Hiddleston - Loki
lokihiddleston.jpg

I might be the only one, but i prefer natalie over jaimie in the looks department

I am kinda shocked by these news :wow:

Hemsworth is growing on me for Thor. Hiddleston not so much as Loki

"Sorry Chris Hemsworth... we've got a bigger star on crew now, your character may have to shuffle some time..."

Robert De Niro in...

TRAVIS BICKLE - GOD OF THUNDER!

"Sorry Chris Hemsworth... we've got a bigger star on crew now, your character may have to shuffle some time..."

Robert De Niro in...

TRAVIS BICKLE - GOD OF THUNDER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"