Judge Dredd Reboot!! - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
SHH should put a "rate Dredd chart" instead of Resident Evil on the front page.

Im sorry fellas, I may eat crow on this statement... I feel it will do okay,, its simply a good film and word of mouth will prevail.. Marketing sucked for Dredd give it a little time to brew and get out there. I had heard it moved up to 4th place a while ago,, maybe its in effect.

I thought the film was awful-ly- good, in a way that I would describe as one of my favourite movies this year. I really want sequels.
The fact that it's tanking I blame on marketing. The trailers were no good- just look at the reactions on here. It's also just shameful that this site didn't give the film it's own own forum, yet Bays Turtles (is that even still happening?) and the justice league (no real progess either) movies both get one.
And yeah, the front page should've been having a poll on this. Screw Resident Evil.

Just got back from this, and man was that a good time. I'm not at all shocked at its box office failure though. Not just because the marketing sucked, but because this, in a way, reminds me of Kick-Ass in that it's really awesome for those who know what it is and embrace what it is, but it's destined to have limited appeal no matter what...even more so than KA. There were at least a couple people in my audience who definitely weren't feeling it at all as we were walking out, probably because they weren't looking for something quite SO pulpy (I'm guessing the Total Recall remake was more their speed).

I kind of love Karl Urban now, and am very happy to see him get a winning performance on his resume outside of ST and LotR. For a while there, his filmography was filling up with a whole lot of crap.

Last edited:
Probably someone has already said this but the violence reminded a lot from Paul Verhoeven's stuff like Total Recall and Robocop.

Saw it twice this week. If I could multiply that by like 100 million, I'd feel like I contributed enough.

Im sorry fellas, I may eat crow on this statement... I feel it will do okay,, its simply a good film and word of mouth will prevail.. Marketing sucked for Dredd give it a little time to brew and get out there. I had heard it moved up to 4th place a while ago,, maybe its in effect.
I agree with this, I think this one is going to have long legs at the BO. The good word-of-mouth will get going soon enough.

I agree with this, I think this one is going to have long legs at the BO. The good word-of-mouth will get going soon enough.

If the film somehow manages to rise to the 3rd spot, or at least not have a significant decrease in numbers on today's take, I could just join in your enthusiasm...

Saw this tonight. It's okay, but I kept feeling like I was watching a watered-down version of The Raid. The plot is very similar, a lot of the sets look the same, and even the music is pretty close. I don't think any of that was intentional, but regardless... The Raid is infinitely a better movie, and the action sequences blow Dredd out of the water. I did like Urban and Thirlby in their roles, and Headey does what she can with minimal screentime. But really, I don't see why it's getting all this critical praise. I've never read the comics, so maybe if I had, I'd get where some of you are coming from, but really, this movie just felt very average to me. It is a much better film than the ridiculous Stallone movie, but that isn't really saying much.

6.5/10

I think the story/Cassandra&Ma-Ma should have been saved for a sequel But still I love the movie and does feel like Dredd,I actually enjoy Sly's version But this one does give the Judge Dredd comics justice!!

If I read or hear one more The Raid/Dredd comparison, I think I'll scream.

Sorry, I was just being honest. You're going to get comparisons when two movies have a very similar plot/look/atmosphere. It's inevitable.

Yeah while it can be said both films are similar, it doesn't take away Dredd or The Raid's status of being a badass film. Both films are so many times better than most action films out there today... where they try too hard on trying to making sense than deliver solid action.

Well, I would agree that The Raid is better than most action films today. But Dredd... it did have some cool action scenes but for whatever reason, it left me somewhat unfulfilled. The only scenes that really stood out to me were the slow-motion drug bust towards the beginning and the Gatling gun scene. The rest of it felt kind of average to me.

It certainly doesn't re-invent the wheel.

Well, I would agree that The Raid is better than most action films today. But Dredd... it did have some cool action scenes but for whatever reason, it left me somewhat unfulfilled. The only scenes that really stood out to me were the slow-motion drug bust towards the beginning and the Gatling gun scene. The rest of it felt kind of average to me.

Dredd has it over The Raid for me. Don't get me wrong, the action in The Raid was unbelievable, but the atmosphere, music, and characters in Dredd really grab my attention.

The Box Office numbers don't matter. I blame the film not doing as well over the weekend due to the poor advertising and also the horrible Stallone film which really had very little in common with Judge Dredd.

The film is awesome, and in my minds one of the top interpretations of a comic book character out there. While as a movie, I can't put it up there with Avengers, Spider-man 2, or Dark Knight, I can put this up with the best of the cult transcriptions of graphic novels like V for Vendetta, Sin City and 300. In fact I enjoyed this film better than any of those, but I am more fond of the source material too.

This will get a sequel, there's no doubt about that, and this will become a cult classic because of Urban's great performance. They just need to make sure they can get him back for the sequel.

The entire concept of Judge Dredd is a parody of law enforcement. A very dry parody, but a parody nonetheless. You kind of have to get the joke to understand the character and the stories.

The film is awesome, and in my minds one of the top interpretations of a comic book character out there. While as a movie, I can't put it up there with Avengers, Spider-man 2, or Dark Knight, I can put this up with the best of the cult transcriptions of graphic novels like V for Vendetta, Sin City and 300. In fact I enjoyed this film better than any of those, but I am more fond of the source material too.

:up:

I also want to say that Judge Dredd fans should feel very satisfied, at least in comparison to Punisher fans(and maybe Conan fans too), who, after 3 cinematic attempts, have not yet been able to be "fully" pleased.

Last edited:
This movie was GREAT, I was sad to see it come in sixth place with only 6.3 million last weekend. I am hoping that word of mouth will help this movie in the long run or it at least does well when it hits Blu Ray/ DVD. This movie definitely deserves a sequel though, Karl Urban nails the role and the rest of the cast is solid. But this movie had a lot going against it, it was based on a little known comic book (and this year has already be crowded with comic book movies), the stallone movie may have detered some people, no big name stars in the movie, poor marketing, and it came out a week after Resident Evil which is pretty much the same demographic. Despite all that, I do hope they move forward with a sequel!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"