Judge Dredd Reboot!! - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
:up:

I also want to say that Judge Dredd fans should feel very satisfied, at least in comparison to Punisher fans(and maybe Conan fans too), who, after 3 cinematic attempts, have not yet been able to be "fully" pleased.

I sure feel very satisfied!

:up:

I also want to say that Judge Dredd fans should feel very satisfied, at least in comparison to Punisher fans(and maybe Conan fans too), who, after 3 cinematic attempts, have not yet been able to be "fully" pleased.

Despite it's flaws(bs detective work/stalking)I enjoyed the Tom Jane Punisher film for the most part.

War Zone is a guilty pleasure and Stevenson did a great job with what he was given. War Zone could have been the perfect Punisher film if only they had a director who took the source material seriously.

Dredd is how War Zone should have been. That movie would have rocked if they didn't cheese it up.

As a movie, I thought it was just meh. People criticize the remake of total recall and praise this movie. I have no idea why. Total recall remake is better than this remake. It's not a bad movie, but it's not something I'll ever be compelled to watch again.

Gotta disagree there...Total Recall was total trash IMO.

Why would anyone compare Dredd with Total Recall? They're totally different.

And it's not a remake.

As a movie, I thought it was just meh. People criticize the remake of total recall and praise this movie. I have no idea why. Total recall remake is better than this remake. It's not a bad movie, but it's not something I'll ever be compelled to watch again.

this post is hilarious.

The only thing Dredd&Total Recall remake should be compared to is both are in the sci-fi/futuristic genre!

Gotta disagree there...Total Recall was total trash IMO.

It at least had a plot. The biggest weakness of Dredd was the lack of a strong plot and super poor character development. What character in this movie do you really feel like you know? I understand the idea behind leaving some mystery to a characters origins, but holy crap, we literally know nothing about Dredd or why he has a reputation with the other judges. The only arc to his character was that he changed his mind about the "rookie." very one dimensional and a super under developed plot.

It's fun as an action movie, and entertaining in that regard, but it lacks depth.

The only thing Dredd&Total Recall remake should be compared to is both are in the sci-fi/futuristic genre!

I wasn't comparing the movies themselves. I was comparing the criticisms these two films have gotten. Dredd walks away semi unscathed and total recall got tore to pieces. But recall was a better movie with better plot and character development.

Dredd ain't full of personality in the comics and is also mysterious,We'll likely find out more IF they ever do a sequel,Movies shouldn't always be about knowing everything about characters&their background

Story doesn't need to be complex either,He&a mutant rookie are trapped in a building full of different types of criminals who belong to a new dangerous gang,Dredd must try to survive But wants to stop the leader and shut down the gang cause that's what he does..Boom that stoy is a comic issue come to life which is suppose to as it's a stand a lone comic book movie adaption

Want to know more on the characters&world?Pick up a Judge Dredd comic issue or novel..It's pretty much like the movie with more"depth"in some stories

Last edited:
Dredd ain't full of personality in the comics and is also mysterious,We'll likely find out more IF they ever do a sequel,Movies shouldn't always be about knowing everything about characters&their background

Story doesn't need to be complex either,He&a mutant rookie are trapped in a building full of different types of criminals who belong to a new dangerous gang,Dredd must try to survive But wants to stop the leader and shut down the gang cause that's what he does..Boom that stoy is a comic issue come to life which is suppose to as it's a stand a lone comic book movie adaption

Want to know more on the characters&world?Pick up a Judge Dredd comic issue or novel..It's pretty much like the movie with more"depth"in some stories

That's why I criticism it. A movie based on a comic should still stand alone. I shouldn't have to go pick up a comic to get more depth on the character and his motivations.

Bear in mind, I'm not saying it's a bad movie. I just don't think it deserves the praise as a great film. Spiderman 2, batman 89, the dark knight, avengers...these are great films. Dredd doesn't even come in the same vicinity as these.

It at least had a plot. The biggest weakness of Dredd was the lack of a strong plot and super poor character development. What character in this movie do you really feel like you know? I understand the idea behind leaving some mystery to a characters origins, but holy crap, we literally know nothing about Dredd or why he has a reputation with the other judges. The only arc to his character was that he changed his mind about the "rookie." very one dimensional and a super under developed plot.

It's fun as an action movie, and entertaining in that regard, but it lacks depth.

lolwut? Dredd had a plot, it just wasn't a convoluted piece of crap like Total Recall was. I cared way more for the characters in Dredd than I did for any single cardboard character in Total Recall. As for the arc, the story is really about the Rookie and her first day of training with Dredd. She changes as a character through the violence and extreme situation she's thrust into. I'd also argue that Dredd himself changes through his experience with the Rookie to the point where he kind of realizes the world isn't as black and white as he might think.

I don't even know why we're comparing them since they're completely different films, but hey...maybe we should compare criticisms of Battlefield Earth vs Blade Runner? :o

Finally saw this today. I love every bit of it. It is so much fun and pretty intense. Thinking off the top of my head, I can't think of many comic book movies I'd put ahead of it. Nolan's Batman is about it for ahead. I'd say it is level with Scott Pilgrim in its execution and sincerity to that not usually touched upon.

Karl Urban is now a God to me. I loved him before, but now, now he is something else. Everything he does could be acted in the wrong way and becoming completely cheesy and ruining the scene. But he hits the right note every single time.

Also couldn't help but falling in love with Thirlby. First time I have seen her in a bigger role and she was perfect.

IF they make a sequel then where should that film go?,I'd like to see Rico as the next villian,Yeah it'd kinda be like the Stalone movie But it could be accurate this time by having Rico be Dredd's twin brother,It'd be interesting to see how Karl Urban plays Dredd again while also playing the evil twin brother who has much more personality

But then I'd also like to see some mutant stuff,Would be awesome to see Dredd&Cassandra face off against mutant monsters and other locations in Mega-City One be explored

The Box Office numbers don't matter. I blame the film not doing as well over the weekend due to the poor advertising and also the horrible Stallone film which really had very little in common with Judge Dredd.

The film is awesome, and in my minds one of the top interpretations of a comic book character out there. While as a movie, I can't put it up there with Avengers, Spider-man 2, or Dark Knight, I can put this up with the best of the cult transcriptions of graphic novels like V for Vendetta, Sin City and 300. In fact I enjoyed this film better than any of those, but I am more fond of the source material too.

This will get a sequel, there's no doubt about that, and this will become a cult classic because of Urban's great performance. They just need to make sure they can get him back for the sequel.

I wish I had your optimism TS, doubt this will make any more than $20 million in the states and Alex Garland said it needed to do over $50 million in the states to get a sequel. I hope i'm wrong but at this point I dont see it happening.

i just watched the stallone dredd.

wow...just terrible.

IF they make a sequel then where should that film go?,I'd like to see Rico as the next villian,Yeah it'd kinda be like the Stalone movie But it could be accurate this time by having Rico be Dredd's twin brother,It'd be interesting to see how Karl Urban plays Dredd again while also playing the evil twin brother who has much more personality

But then I'd also like to see some mutant stuff,Would be awesome to see Dredd&Cassandra face off against mutant monsters and other locations in Mega-City One be explored
They've said that 2 would be Cursed Earth and 3 will be Judge Death :woot:

My favourite lines in the movie;

I think a bullet might interfere with them more

I warned you. Get up, you're heading for the cube

Can't execute a perp on 99%

Last edited:
Terrible movie but it has to be said, the first 5 minutes is pretty darn good.

[YT]iLwNKEQ4ir4[/YT]

Terrible movie but it has to be said, the first 5 minutes is pretty darn good.

[YT]iLwNKEQ4ir4[/YT]

The five minutes where it's actually a Dredd movie are cheesey but still fun to watch. I also love the ABC warrior and the fact that the writers tried to fit so much Dredd mythology into one movie, they were just boned by Stallone's vanity and a desired pg-13 rating.

As the Total Recall remake, it was a soulless piece of crap that was boring on top of being aimless. I didn't care about any of the characters and any investment I had came from the excellent Verhoeven film. It's worst sin was that it wasted Cranston as the villain. Dredd on the other hand captured me with its atmosphere and its world. And the Anderson character provided depth and humanity and a solid arc for me to invest in emotionally while Dredd provided sheer badassness made flesh. Lena Headey really creeped me out as Ma Ma, even with that Pat Benetar haircut.

The five minutes where it's actually a Dredd movie are cheesey but still fun to watch. I also love the ABC warrior and the fact that the writers tried to fit so much Dredd mythology into one movie, they were just boned by Stallone's vanity and a desired pg-13 rating.

As the Total Recall remake, it was a soulless piece of crap that was boring on top of being aimless. I didn't care about any of the characters and any investment I had came from the excellent Verhoeven film. It's worst sin was that it wasted Cranston as the villain. Dredd on the other hand captured me with its atmosphere and its world. And the Anderson character provided depth and humanity and a solid arc for me to invest in emotionally while Dredd provided sheer badassness made flesh. Lena Headey really creeped me out as Ma Ma, even with that Pat Benetar haircut.

I was checked out of the movie the second his helmet came off. I would have the following a pass;

a) Officers take the helmet off when Dredd is arrested.

b) The helmet (and uniform) comes off before he is checked out into the cursed earth.

c) The helmet comes off in darkness but Dredd's features are rearranged by a machine, I guess to resemble Stallone.

If they'd done any of the above I could have lived with sans helmet Dredd, but the nonchalant why the helmet comes off was a middle finger to the fans.

I was checked out of the movie the second his helmet came off. I would have the following a pass;

a) Officers take the helmet off when Dredd is arrested.

b) The helmet (and uniform) comes off before he is checked out into the cursed earth.

c) The helmet comes off in darkness but Dredd's features are rearranged by a machine, I guess to resemble Stallone.

If they'd done any of the above I could have lived with sans helmet Dredd, but the nonchalant why the helmet comes off was a middle finger to the fans.

I absolutely agree. I dunno, the whole framed/cursed earth story is problematic for this reason. I like that they tried to do the Rico story and introduced the Angel family but...ugh it just sucks so much.

If they do the cursed Earth in a hypothetical sequel to this Dredd, I hope they go with a version of the comics story where Dredd has to lead a caravan to deliver the cure to a plague that's ravaging another Mega City. Go all Road Warrior with it. Could be really cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"