Judge Dredd Reboot!! - Part 3

I just looked at the budgets. They could make FOUR AND A HALF Dredds for what Transformers 4 cost.

Man, that really pisses me off.

Tis sad indeed. Could make both films and wouldnt effect the quality of either. Ho-hum, doesnt look like a sequel will ever happen now, the original just didnt make enough money and that is a sad fact.

The problem is outside of Dredd and a few action scenes the movie was kind of generic and the other characters stunk. I'm not familiar with the Dredd comic books so I don't know if "Ma Ma" or "The Ma Ma Clan" was created for this movie or from the books, but they really couldn't have come up with a worse name if they tried. Everytime they said it I couldn't help but laugh at how ridiculous it sounded.

And as much as I like Karl Urban, the general audience just doesn't seem to connect with him, I've always thought he should have a bigger career with more lead roles but he just doesn't grab the attention of enough people as the lead apparently. Even his TV show failed.

I'm surprised that so many people on this site liked it, seemed pretty bland to me. The machine gun scene was pretty awesome though.

Shankar posted a video titled "How to Make a DREDD Sequel & a Lesson in Film Finance" and it's a quick summary of things could work out.

Got a link to this cost effective video?

Karl Urban: "Conversations are happening"...

A week ago, actor Karl Urban was tweeting about how he’d be completely open to seeing the return of Dredd in the form of a Netflix or Amazon original series. While that sentiment was something many of us viewers shared in, there was nothing all that concrete or newsworthy about it simply because there was no substance. It was just an actor’s desire to see one of his roles continue.

However, it seems that this desire has caught the attention of one if not both of those companies as Urban stated at this weekend’s Calgary Comic and Entertainment Expo that “conversations are happening” for a possible series. A petition for a series has already accrued over 145,000 signatures.

The Netflix format would be ideal. Could do the epic Dredd sagas some real justice (no pun intended). Hard to condense some of those big stories into a single film (Stallone's effort tried to blend things from a few different stories).

Would like to see them give MC1 a makeover though. One thing Stallone's effort captured well was the cramped haphazard aesthetic of the city. In Urban's MC1 anyone wanting a Block war would need to get a bus.

The Netflix format would be ideal. Could do the epic Dredd sagas some real justice (no pun intended). Hard to condense some of those big stories into a single film (Stallone's effort tried to blend things from a few different stories).

Would like to see them give MC1 a makeover though. One thing Stallone's effort captured well was the cramped haphazard aesthetic of the city. In Urban's MC1 anyone wanting a Block war would need to get a bus.

Agreed with all, I really hope this gets picked up on Netflix as it could be something really special.

I hope if it happens Alex Garland is still involved in some capacity.

Just watched this again for the first time in a while, it’s simple, but man is the movie effective. Urban kicks ass as Judge Dredd, he just embodies the character. And Olivia Thirlby is awesome as Anderson. Damn shame we never got that sequel, but I really hope both of them can get in that Mega City One TV show they are doing.

Just watched this again for the first time in a while, it’s simple, but man is the movie effective. Urban kicks ass as Judge Dredd, he just embodies the character. And Olivia Thirlby is awesome as Anderson. Damn shame we never got that sequel, but I really hope both of them can get in that Mega City One TV show they are doing.

Dredd is a fantastic movie! I actually saw it in the cinema (I think there were about twenty of us).

After watching this movie again fairly recently, I think I prefer it to all the big budget comic book movies of that year.

I liked the movie, but somehow it wasn't really Judge Dredd. Well, they kept the helmet on, but all the satire was gone. MegaCity-One didn't even look THAT bad compared to many real life cities. And the action scenes were... well, they always build up great but then suddenly they stop.

Isn't that fairly well documented? I recall basically reading about as much, that the credited director didn't have much control over the film, and it was mainly Garland calling the shots.

One of the main reasons why Dredd will always struggle to be done properly is because the entire thing is basically one long parody / diatribe / critique of American culture. And it's not a flattering one in the slightest.

It's also extremely British. Full of surrealism, eccentrism, satire, black comedy, sarcasm, and ludicrousness.

I love all of my American chums, but you're really not prepared for Judge Dredd done properly. The howls of indignation from most US media would be deafening.

Last edited:
Isn't that fairly well documented? I recall basically reading about as much, that the credited director didn't have much control over the film, and it was mainly Garland calling the shots.

It’s been heavily rumoured for a while, but never confirmed until now.

Not sure how good a source Giant Freaking Robot is but apparently a sequel is in development.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"