Just How Important is This Movie?

In the US, Cap's marketing will definitely play off the patriotism angle. Being set in the past will help offset the fact that a lot of Americans are disillusioned with things right now. Internationally, it'll probably go for more of a general anti-Nazi vibe which most people can dig.

That's all moot if the film isn't much good, of course.

That could help, but the problem with cap is that his death coverage a few years ago was the only exposure the guy has had to the mainstream public. And yes, older people know Cap, but the generation that knew him the most is around grandparent age. And that's not a big crowd. The over 50 age group isn't going to be rushing to the movie theatre.

Not to mention that Cap is opening the week after the final episode of Harry Potter. That's pretty much movie suicide.

Why is Marvel persisting with that release date for Cap Am? Either they have a) know clue about how big Harry Potter 7 part 2 is gonna be, or b) they have no faith in that project. I really don't get it, that film is on a coarse that's not lookin' pretty, why would you put the lead up film to Avengers in such a vulnerable position?

Well I'm thinking more people in their 30's and 40's. Cap had the cartoons and the TV movies.

Most people in their 30's are too young for the TV movies (they came out in the 70's didn't they?) and neither the TV movies nor Cap in the cartoons was ever very popular. Marvel's advertising is going to play a huge role with this.

But even then, I agree with JMC. Cap being that close to Potter is just stupid. Thor is in much better position. However, I really think the Cap movie needs to do moderately well, because the guy will be the leader of the Avengers and all.

A push back is really needed. Atleast push it back one week, competing against Cap is suicide.

Also, if Cap fails, if it's a good movie, I'll blame Transformers 3. That s***fest is taking the 4th of July spot from Cap.

Most people in their 30's are too young for the TV movies (they came out in the 70's didn't they?) and neither the TV movies nor Cap in the cartoons was ever very popular. Marvel's advertising is going to play a huge role with this.

But even then, I agree with JMC. Cap being that close to Potter is just stupid. Thor is in much better position. However, I really think the Cap movie needs to do moderately well, because the guy will be the leader of the Avengers and all.

Add to that by the time Cap comes out we'll have had 3 superhero films already within a couple of months released. There is such a thing as audience fatigue.

I think that 2010 should be okay,this has sort of happened before in 2004,2003,and 2007 minus a fourth comic book movie.

2003:
Hulk
Daredevil
X-Men 2

2004:
The Punisher
Spider-Man 2
Blade Trinity

2007:
Spider-Man 3
Ghost Rider
Fantastic Four:Rise of the Silver Surfer

2008:
Iron Man
The Incredible Hulk
Punisher:War Zone

Last edited:
I think that 2010 should be okay,this has sort of happened before in 2004,2003,and 2007 minus a fourth comic book movie.

2003:
Hulk
Daredevil
X-Men 2

2004:
The Punisher
Spider-Man 2
Blade Trinity

2007:
Spider-Man 3
Ghost Rider
Fantastic Four:Rise of the Silver Surfer

2008:
Iron Man
The Incredible Hulk
Punisher:War Zone

You're forgetting TDK and Hellboy 2 in '08.

It's okay, you can forget the Spirit. I think most of us should.

No,it should be Wanted,it could have been wayyyyy more entertaining. I'm still not on the I hate The Spirit movie bandwagon and will never join it.

Marvel has very few properties that can be gigantic franchises. Spider-Man, Fantastic Four and X-men are at other studios, Hulk is a shakey franchise at best, and Iron Man will be winding down in another film. So Thor, along with Cap, is VITAL to marvel's future success.

Add to that by the time Cap comes out we'll have had 3 superhero films already within a couple of months released. There is such a thing as audience fatigue.

All of the super hero movies that year are unique & different though. Thor is about a god, Green Lantern is about a space hero, X-Men is set in the 1960s & Cap is set in WW2.

Yeah, It's not like people go "ok I've seen my fill of _______ type of movie so I'll skip it.". If a movie is good people go regardless.

All of the super hero movies that year are unique & different though. Thor is about a god, Green Lantern is about a space hero, X-Men is set in the 1960s & Cap is set in WW2.

Doesn't mean people are necessarily going to see any of them though. Fatigue will set in eventually and they'll start becoming just 'another superhero film' to the masses, and I believe next year we will start to see it, I don't believe any of those films are likely to do huge numbers next year, not because they're unknown, but because I believe interest in the superhero genre will begin to wane, only Batman and Iron Man are immune at this point.

Doesn't mean people are necessarily going to see any of them though. Fatigue will set in eventually and they'll start becoming just 'another superhero film' to the masses, and I believe next year we will start to see it, I don't believe any of those films are likely to do huge numbers next year, not because they're unknown, but because I believe interest in the superhero genre will begin to wane, only Batman and Iron Man are immune at this point.

You are underestimating upcoming comic book movies,certain ones,imo. Can't you at least wait before declaring that the comic book movie genre is actually doomed? You have to keep in mind that the general audience is flippant,and that them acting like that,is natural. Contrary to the people who hold on to unpopular beliefs,you're only saying what you're saying because of how this years comic book movies have been pretty much on the misfire level. Kick-Ass,Jonah Hex,Scott Pilgrim vs the World,Ironman 2(if you want to get into it's so so reviews and domestic box office numbers). Oh and the Losers,that struggled to make more money at the box office domestically,it like barely made back it's budget from the looks of it,and that got so so reviews too.

You are underestimating upcoming comic book movies,certain ones,imo. Can't you at least wait before declaring that the comic book movie genre is actually doomed? You have to keep in mind that the general audience is flippant,and that them acting like that,is natural. Contrary to the people who hold on to unpopular beliefs,you're only saying what you're saying because of how this years comic book movies have been pretty much on the misfire level. Kick-Ass,Jonah Hex,Scott Pilgrim vs the World,Ironman 2(if you want to get into it's so so reviews and domestic box office numbers). Oh and the Losers,that struggled to make more money at the box office domestically,it like barely made back it's budget from the looks of it,and that got so so reviews too.

Actually I'm not saying that because of this year, I've been convinced since 2008 after IM and TDK that superhero film interest would start to wane in the coming years. I actually think 2008 was the gold period of the superhero genre, I firmly believe we're on the decline now, that's not to say some films won't be successful, but I do believe the genre won't be a sustainable cash cow in the long term, especially if the trend of catering the comic adaptations to a specific and small audience continues.

Actually I'm not saying that because of this year, I've been convinced since 2008 after IM and TDK that superhero film interest would start to wane in the coming years. I actually think 2008 was the gold period of the superhero genre, I firmly believe we're on the decline now, that's not to say some films won't be successful, but I do believe the genre won't be a sustainable cash cow in the long term, especially if the trend of catering the comic adaptations to a specific and small audience continues.

That's going to always happen for a long time,the not too important comic book movies being made for an audience that isn't too wide,as long as the major ones keep being made then you shouldn't worry about that at all. There are so many comic book characters that are around who haven't received their big screen treatment yet,that is another major reason,why you shouldn't worry. No offense,but I think you're overthinking it and are being paranoid. I see.

While I think there's still some promise left in the superhero genre, I do think we should be skeptical of how big the next wave of superhero properties can be. TDK and Iron Man are more of the exception than the norm as far as superhero properties go. Especially Iron Man. I certainly would be skeptical of how well non-A-listers can perform in the market place.

I think The Avengers will perform well, but I think you're fooling yourself if you think it has any hopes of hitting a billion worldwide. I think Batman 3 will perform well, although probably not as well as TDK. And, presumably, Iron Man 3 will do well. But anyone that really thinks they know how Thor, Captain America, and Green Lantern are going to perform is engaging in pure guessing at this point. And that's even more true for the next X-Men, Flash, FF reboot, etc. Even Spider-Man and Superman have some questions.

I do think that post-Avatar, there's going to be some re-examination of the spectacle that these movies are delivering. Rumors are that Green Lantern jacked up the scope significantly. I think there are legitimate fears that Thor, who's apparently going to run around in jeans and a t-shirt for a chunk of the film, is aiming too small.

I certainly don't think that the comic book movie is dead. Or that there won't be breakout hits. But, I think you certainly should temper expectations for stuff other than Batman and Iron Man. And perhaps Spider-Man, X-Men, and Superman. The threshhold for success shouldn't be $300 million domestic. For these movies, over $200 million really is what separates the superhero A-listers from the rest.

That's going to always happen for a long time,the not too important comic book movies being made for an audience that isn't too wide,as long as the major ones keep being made then you shouldn't worry about that at all. There are so many comic book characters that are around who haven't received their big screen treatment yet,that is another major reason,why you shouldn't worry. No offense,but I think you're overthinking it and are being paranoid. I see.

Not paranoid at all, I'm just not as attached to comic book characters as some people are so I can look at things a bit more objectively, if there's more and more films featuring people with superpowers it starts to become a blur to the masses and eventually people will drop off, it's about over saturation, I'm sure many of us already know people who are sick of the genre, I know I do.

Not paranoid at all, I'm just not as attached to comic book characters as some people are so I can look at things a bit more objectively, if there's more and more films featuring people with superpowers it starts to become a blur to the masses and eventually people will drop off, it's about over saturation, I'm sure many of us already know people who are sick of the genre, I know I do.

Those people are sick of it cause they keep watching the wrong comic book movies,the ones that suck,if the trailers for them aren't found appealing by them. And because they don't know much about the source material,if they don't know about it at all.

Last edited:
Those people are sick of it cause they keep watching the wrong comic book movies,the ones that suck,if the trailers for them aren't found appealing by them. And because they don't know much about the source material,if they don't know much about it at all.

Whether they are watching the 'wrong' films or know anything about the source material is completely irrelevant, fact is over saturation is not a good thing and people can get sick of it. Just because we're getting all these characters on film doesn't mean Joe Public will give two hoots about them. I read various threads around here about how well these up coming movies are going to do, very few posters actually bother to think that maybe the GA just won't care in the end, not every character is gonna be likable.

Last edited:
Whether they are watching the 'wrong' films or know anything about the source material is completely irrelevant, fact is over saturation is not a good thing and people can get sick of it. Just because we're getting all these characters on film doesn't mean Joe Public will give two hoots about them. I read various threads around here about how well these up coming movies are going to do, very few posters actually bother to think that maybe the GA just won't care in the end, not every character is gonna be likable.

Of course,but the good and bad can't exist without one another unfortunately,I think.

I've waited 20 years so this is important to me.

Anyway, I have this gut feeling Cap isn't going to do to well with the general public, not because its Captain America, but because its Joe Johnson, and Chris Evans.

My baby Thor is going to blow up the box office, wait and see.

I'm confident Evans will do a good job, but I think his casting may be detrimental to the film overall. He's got name recognition, but people just don't think of him as a serious actor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"