Keanu Reeves is John Wick. Don't Set Him Off!

Status
Not open for further replies.
RIP Michael Nyqvist

So sad to read this, only seems like yesterday I was enjoying the first John Wick film in the cinema and to read he has now passed away is gutting.

Thoughts with his family.

Very sad. He was a damn good actor and 56 is far, far too young. RIP.

''With a pencil. With a f****n' pencil.''

RIP Michael Nyqvist. :csad:

In the middle of May? Risky but commendable. Can't wait.

Yay, yet another reason for 2019 to be my most anticipated movie year in ages.

Awesome news. I'm glad we only have to wait two years for the next Chapter instead of 3, but I don't know about that release date. I'm sure it will still do well, but I don't like the idea of it being stuck between two heavy hitters that are Avengers 4 and Aladdin.

Chapter 2 was much, much weaker than the first. Subpar writing and acting, ridiculous worldbuilding at the expense of narrative (it's so convenient that suddendly Lawrence Fishburne has this secret underworld of men and weapons at his command just when everyone else in the city wants to kill John) and action that's considerably less clear than in the first movie. The only good thing it had going for it was the ending, which looks very promising, but this was the definition of filler. I hope they get back to full strenght for the third movie really.

Chapter 2 was much, much weaker than the first. Subpar writing and acting, ridiculous worldbuilding at the expense of narrative (it's so convenient that suddendly Lawrence Fishburne has this secret underworld of men and weapons at his command just when everyone else in the city wants to kill John) and action that's considerably less clear than in the first movie. The only good thing it had going for it was the ending, which looks very promising, but this was the definition of filler. I hope they get back to full strenght for the third movie really.

I can't disagree with a lot of this. I enjoyed the sequel but they tried to expand the world too much for me and I think the story suffered for it. The first was more contained and better for it IMO. Either way I am still looking forward to the 3rd but hope its more like the first movie.

I can't disagree with a lot of this. I enjoyed the sequel but they tried to expand the world too much for me and I think the story suffered for it. The first was more contained and better for it IMO. Either way I am still looking forward to the 3rd but hope its more like the first movie.

Yup, can't disagree with you, either.

By the way, our top 3 movies of 2017 are the same so far, AVEITWITHJAMON. But for me it's: 1. Baby Driver, 2. Logan, 3. War for the Planet of the Apes

By the way, our top 3 movies of 2017 are the same so far, AVEITWITHJAMON. But for me it's: 1. Baby Driver, 2. Logan, 3. War for the Planet of the Apes

I certainly can't disagree with anything that was said, but John is ****ed. And just how many goddamn assassins are there in the world because there were about 75 JUST in that park John jogged through at the end. "I'm going to kill them. I'm going to kill them all." From the look of things he's gonna have to wipe out about a third of the human population to do so.

Great minds :woot:.

My top 3 may change once I see them all again, but Apes really got me invested and I loved it. Loved the other 2 as well though and Apes was the most recent one I saw so that may have made some difference.

I certainly can't disagree with anything that was said, but John is ****ed. And just how many goddamn assassins are there in the world because there were about 75 JUST in that park John jogged through at the end. "I'm going to kill them. I'm going to kill them all." From the look of things he's gonna have to wipe out about a third of the human population to do so.

I am looking forward to the 3rd movie, but the story in the sequel just didn't invest me as much. It wasn't as emotional for me and the villain wasn't as good imo. Als, I love Larry Fishburne, but his inclusion seemed to come out of knowhere.

Well I'll be the voice of dissent on this one. I've watched Chapter 2 seven times since I bought it, and yep, still like it better than the first. I watch these movies first and foremost for the action, and secondly for the world they've built. The "emotion" is not something that drew me to the franchise. I mean it's a dead wife and dog story - that's about as basic as emotional motivations come. Only thing that would make it more basic is if it was a wife and kid instead. Yeah, it got me to hook into John's character at first, but by the time that club scene ended in the first one, that dog was distant memory for me, lol. John's character remains on an interesting journey, I don't care that I wasn't as sad for him this time around. I'm still fascinated by the way he handles the **** life is throwing at him. But the main thing that puts Chapter 2 over the edge for me is that I felt the 3rd act of the first film totally ran out of steam. It's like they spent their best set-pieces too early, and the emotional payoff wasn't nearly satisfying enough to make up for it. Chapter 2's 3rd act on the other hand delivered in spades, imo, and left me chomping at the bit for Chapter 3.

Last edited:
That's true about the 3rd act. I think the way Chapter 2 builds up definitely works in it's favor. Also i think it's all about the wife in both films, which i love. That's what the dog in the 1st film and the house in the 2nd film represents, the last pieces left of his wife being stolen from him, and now all he has is vengeance and survival. To me the heart was definitely still there. But this time with a better structure. 1st half buildup & world expansion/2nd half total mayhem.

Well I'll be the voice of dissent on this one. I've watched Chapter 2 seven times since I bought it, and yep, still like it better than the first. I watch these movies first and foremost for the action, and secondly for the world they've built. The "emotion" is not something that drew me to the franchise. I mean it's a dead wife and dog story - that's about as basic as emotional motivations come. Only thing that would make it more basic is if it was a wife and kid instead. Yeah, it got me to hook into John's character at first, but by the time that club scene ended in the first one, that dog was distant memory for me, lol. John's character remains on an interesting journey, I don't care that I wasn't as sad for him this time around. I'm still fascinated by the way he handles the **** life is throwing at him. But the main thing that puts Chapter 2 over the edge for me is that I felt the 3rd act of the first film totally ran out of steam. It's like they spent their best set-pieces too early, and the emotional payoff wasn't nearly satisfying enough to make up for it. Chapter 2's 3rd act on the other hand delivered in spades, imo, and left me chomping at the bit for Chapter 3.

I agree about the 3rd acts in the respective movies. Chapter 2 definitely did things better there. But I don't think it matters how basic an emotional motivation is, if it's done well, which it was in the first movie, it hooks you in and is something you can identify with in such a crazy world. I come to these movies for action as well, but I like a good story to move things along as well. The first movie did that better for me. Since buying Chapter 2 I have watched it once and never had the inclination to watch it again. The first I re-watched quite a bit. For me emotional moments in any movie are part of what keep you coming back to watch them. The sequel was seriously lacking in this.

I also felt the world expansion in the sequel did more harm than good in the end, as the sequel seemed to drag at parts were as the first never did.

But hey ho, glad you enjoyed the sequel, let's hope the 3rd lives up to that ending.

That's true about the 3rd act. I think the way Chapter 2 builds up definitely works in it's favor. Also i think it's all about the wife in both films, which i love. That's what the dog in the 1st film and the house in the 2nd film represents, the last pieces left of his wife being stolen from him, and now all he has is vengeance and survival. To me the heart was definitely still there. But this time with a better structure. 1st half buildup & world expansion/2nd half total mayhem.
Right, of course it's all really about the wife, along with his hope of having any kind of "normal life." But the dog is what they used to get the audience attached, because unlike the wife, they actually gave us a chance to get to know and care about the dog.

Also, I'd argue that being a less basic clichéd revenge tale, Chapter 2 was also better on a story level, but to each their own. Emotional content is definitely NOT what keeps me coming back for re-watches in action movies, lol. Hell, half the time I skip the 1st 20 minutes of the 1st one when I re-watch it.

Last edited:
Right, of course it's all really about the wife, along with his hope of having any kind of "normal life." But the dog is what they used to get the audience attached, because unlike the wife, they actually gave us a chance to get to know and care about the dog.

Also, I'd argue that being a less basic clichéd revenge tale, Chapter 2 was also better on a story level, but to each their own.

I feel they gave us enough about the wife in the first movie to give us sympathy regarding the situation. It wasn't really expanded much upon in the sequel though I felt.

Great minds :woot:.

My top 3 may change once I see them all again, but Apes really got me invested and I loved it. Loved the other 2 as well though and Apes was the most recent one I saw so that may have made some difference.

I am looking forward to the 3rd movie, but the story in the sequel just didn't invest me as much. It wasn't as emotional for me and the villain wasn't as good imo. Als, I love Larry Fishburne, but his inclusion seemed to come out of knowhere.

Fishburne's inclusion did almost seem like fan service just to get the Matrix gang back together, but at least it wasn't as odd as his performance in Predators. :D Now, don't get me wrong...I ENJOYED THE HELL out of chapter 2, but I did enjoy the first a bit more. Chapter 2 seemed like they tried to make the world even more surreal. Maybe it was the attempt at world building I DIDN'T care for. I loved Peter Stormare in the beginning, but I always love it when he shows up. "A ****ING PENCIL!!! WHO CAN DO THAT?!?!" :D I didn't mind Cassian, but I have a feeling him leaving him alive is something that will come back to bite John in the ass. I'm almost scared we'll get a The Professional style ending where Wick is walking off after going through hell only to have Cassian just sneak up behind him and put him down. I can only assume the High Council will get more involved. I want someone to go after Wick that is his genuine equal. Not just a numbers game, but a genuine equal. Cassian was close, but I want a mirror image. I have faith that WHATEVER they do, I'll thoroughly enjoy it. The action in these movies is unbelievable, and it's a great role for Keanu. I just hope they don't screw it up.

I feel they gave us enough about the wife in the first movie to give us sympathy regarding the situation. It wasn't really expanded much upon in the sequel though I felt.
There wasn't anything to expand on, imo. He loved his wife. She dead. So went his chance at a normal life. As he learned in Chapter 2.

Fishburne's inclusion did almost seem like fan service just to get the Matrix gang back together, but at least it wasn't as odd as his performance in Predators. :D Now, don't get me wrong...I ENJOYED THE HELL out of chapter 2, but I did enjoy the first a bit more. Chapter 2 seemed like they tried to make the world even more surreal. Maybe it was the attempt at world building I DIDN'T care for. I loved Peter Stormare in the beginning, but I always love it when he shows up. "A ****ING PENCIL!!! WHO CAN DO THAT?!?!" :D I didn't mind Cassian, but I have a feeling him leaving him alive is something that will come back to bite John in the ass. I'm almost scared we'll get a The Professional style ending where Wick is walking off after going through hell only to have Cassian just sneak up behind him and put him down. I can only assume the High Council will get more involved. I want someone to go after Wick that is his genuine equal. Not just a numbers game, but a genuine equal. Cassian was close, but I want a mirror image. I have faith that WHATEVER they do, I'll thoroughly enjoy it. The action in these movies is unbelievable, and it's a great role for Keanu. I just hope they don't screw it up.

Yeah my feelings on the sequel are around the same as yours. Cassias shoukd have been the final battle for me though rather than RR's character who quite clearly didn't have a chance.

I do love the action in these movies, but for me nothing in the sequel topped the club scene in the first movie.

There wasn't anything to expand on, imo. He loved his wife. She dead. So went his chance at a normal life. As he learned in Chapter 2.

I thought we could of got more of them as a couple and the reason she was so special to make John change his life.

Honestly, I have zero interest in that, lol. The flashbacks were blasé enough in the first one to me. There was just nothing special about them at all that I could see. If I want a convincing love story or cancer drama, I won't be watching a movie where Keanu Reeves headshots a hundred people. In fact I probably won't be watching a Keanu movie at all, because THAT kind of acting really ain't his forté, imo. But I get it, we watch for different things. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"