Kinect and it's effects on the WORLD.

It's funny, cause it's true.

I was playing Kinect Sports and my wife came downstairs to watch and it was hot. So she turned on the fan.

I completely forgot about it, since it was off when I was playing.

So, I go to spike a volleyball and my finger tip hits the fan :D

It stung for about 10 seconds, otherwise, everything was fine!

No. It's stupidity. Period. People are morons and don't realize that flailing their arms and not paying attention to their surroundings could lead to damage. Same thing with wiimotes flying through tvs. People are morons.
that clip that was posted of that woman accidentally hitting her kid seems like something that could very well happen in some of these games. I can imagine multiplayer accidents like that happening. I dont see that as stupid but something that is a high risk when moving the way this thing requires in a limited space with multiple people around you. When you are so immersed in the game, it can be easy to forget about your surroundings

that clip that was posted of that woman accidentally hitting her kid seems like something that could very well happen in some of these games. I can imagine multiplayer accidents like that happening. I dont see that as stupid but something that is a high risk when moving the way this thing requires in a limited space with multiple people around you. When you are so immersed in the game, it can be easy to forget about your surroundings

I think that video was fake. And like i said, those accidents aren't exclusive to the Kinect. You could just as easily punch someone in the eye with your Move or Wiimote.

Maybe a lot of ppl dont understand, but you dont have to be that exaggerated for Kinect to respond to you. Its when you have people swinging their arms as hard as they can when you can have problems. Pull it back.

I think that video was fake. And like i said, those accidents aren't exclusive to the Kinect. You could just as easily punch someone in the eye with your Move or Wiimote.

Maybe a lot of ppl dont understand, but you dont have to be that exaggerated for Kinect to respond to you. Its when you have people swinging their arms as hard as they can when you can have problems. Pull it back.
No its not exlusive to Kinect but thats whats being discussed here. The others got similar responses following their launches, especially the Wii

No its not exlusive to Kinect but thats whats being discussed here. The others got similar responses following their launches, especially the Wii

And i made the same arguments back then when the first Wii-mote went through a TV. Dont be a ******, hold on to the remote, not that hard. I live in a pretty small condo and my sister and i havent had any problems. I think the problems arise when ppl get a little too overzealous. Like take the volley ball game in Kinect sports. You barely have to lift off the ground for the sensor to recognize you are jumping. The problems will come when you either arent attuned to your surroundings or are exaggerating your movements. It goes for all the motion control devices, just be smart.

i like the new fail vids, so i hope the kinect is doing well. i don't own a 360, not for any particular reason just don't own one. but i can still enjoy the kinect from those vids.

Avatar Kinect: So you dont ever have to leave the house
This coming spring, Microsoft will launch Avatar Kinect, a new feature for Xbox 360 that allows players to communicate with friends in a virtual home-like setting.

Company president Steve Ballmer announced during Microsoft's conference at the Consumer Electronics Show the service will be available for free to all Xbox Live Gold Subscribers as a download update.

kinect20110105093358955.jpg

Players can log in using Kinect to chat and interact with friends using their Xbox 360 avatars that will mirror movements and even facial expressions, including eyebrows and lip syncing. There will be over 15 different environments to chat in.

Also announced for this spring is the addition of Kinect gesture controls for Netflix and Hulu Plus at no cost.
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/114/1142769p1.html

Last edited:
Lol, what the hell? Didnt they learn anything from PSn Home? Those are really dumb ideas.

Im glad to hear we'll be able to control netflix via Kinect. I assumed that feature would make its way to the dashboard eventually.

So, I finally had the chance to play Kinect at my sister's place. That **** is dangerous. It's nothing compared to the Wii, where you wagle with the wiimote a bit. During one of those game, where you have to dodge incoming objects, you really have to effin' dodge. >_>

My sister's boyfriend jumped on their dog. No damage done though.

Lol, what the hell? Didnt they learn anything from PSn Home? Those are really dumb ideas./QUOTE]

Yeah, I don't know about anyone else, but before the game is on I normally watch the pregame predictions and whatnot... Not log on and trash talk via XBL....

Nothing says B.A. like avatar trash talk.

Fastest selling consumer electronics device ever. Congrats MS, enjoy that downfall...

I don't know. It's had a great start sales wise and an okay start quality-wise. The upside is that the technology will get better, so I think MS is good position now.

I can't wait for Skynet personally.

This stuff will never take off as a popular gaming mode in America imo. We are fat and lazy. People like to sit on their arse and push buttons. I'm not saying its a good thing but it is what it is. The simple Kinnect and Wii stuff does alright, but they aren't that involved of games. Nothing like the more popular XBox or PS3 titles. I'm not convinced people want to play CoD or Dragon Age in a virtual, real motion environment.

Its frickin awesome though.

Last edited:
I don't know. It's had a great start sales wise and an okay start quality-wise. The upside is that the technology will get better, so I think MS is good position now.

Haha the "downfall" comment was just a dig at a certain member on this board. His rants have kind of become a running joke throughout the MS thread.

I think there is a lot of upside to the Kinect and i knew it was going to a huge hit, i predicted it waaayyy back when it was announced. I didnt think itd be the fastest selling consumer device ever tho, thats crazy.

I finally decided to upgrade from a launch 360 to a 360s, and it was only $50 more to get a 250GB bundle with a Kinect. So, I finally have access to this very strange device.

I have to say, I like it. My area is just a bit too small, most games register me when my legs are right up against the couch behind me, but I am able to play games with it. When it works it's great, when it doesn't it is super frustrating. All the dashboard stuff (voice, gesture) is fantastic.

I only have two games (the bundle came with Kinect Adventures and a code for Carnival Games) and both work decently in my too small living room. Obviously the games are kind of silly and simple, but it's super interesting to experience. I tried some demos out too and there is some stuff that works in my space, some that doesn't.

Overall though, I am excited about a Kinect 2 being integrated into the NeXtbox. UI stuff feels really good but super janky, if they can get the tech and menus to feel more fluid and responsive than I am all for its integration.

Why is this thread still called Project Natal?

I just find it odd that with other threads the mods are quick to update when things change but this thing has lingered as Project Natal when it has long been changed to Kinect and released ages ago

Fixed. Feel free to drop me a PM if you see anything like this again. :up:

Last edited:
Got the Kinect yesterday, since the holiday bundle with Gunstringer and Fruit Ninja was on sale at Gamestop for $100, only time I shop there, when they have a nice sale like that. Played it with my fiancee a little last night, it was pretty fun. I don't see myself buying too many games for it, as they're mostly dance games, which hold no appeal to me, but the games I got with it are worth the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"