Kingsman 3 and spin-offs

Discussion in 'Misc. Films' started by Silvermoth, Sep 29, 2017.

1. Silvermoth

Silvermoth Avenger

[URL]http://www.superherohype.com/news/422059-fox-may-release-kingsman-3-in-late-2019[/url]

AVEITWITHJAMON likes this.
  2. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Registered

I hope they don't make a third. The second one was awful.

3. samsnee

samsnee Ok

They are definitely making a third. Hopefully more like the first and less like the second.

4. Silvermoth

Silvermoth Avenger

I still don’t get why people hated the second one so much

5. DarthSkywalker

DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You

I don't hate it, but it definitely felt like a failure to me. How they handled Roxy and Merlin are a good example of why for me. Then there was the ridiculous tracking device stuff. It felt like a film missing the charm of the first, but almost intentionally. Basically, the movie felt like the one thing they thought really worked in the first one was Harry and that didn't sit well with me.

TheVileOne likes this.
  6. psylockolussus

psylockolussus Spice Mutant

I don't know if they could release it next year, given that they haven't started casting yet. But as long as its not rushed then great. I'm kinda tired of duologies, and I hope this won't be one of the film series that ended with the second film.

7. KRYPTON INC.

KRYPTON INC. Incorporated Kryptonian

I'm going to say it again... Harry WAS the best thing in the first one and he was included because Taron and his character couldn't hold a film by themselves and they knew it. No one talks about Taron's character or his arc in the first film, which by the way, I really like and always defend when my buddy Ed takes a shot at it. But no one identifies the film with Taron they identify it with the character of Harry, his lines and the moments in the film with him in it. They might remember that Eggsy has that crazy cave scene at the end with the exploding heads and that from out of nowhere sex joke from the Swedish Princess... But even then what people think of is Harry, the locking of the bar doors, "manners, maketh man", the confrontations with Jackson and the Freebird scene. In other words your supposition is right... The filmmakers knew that Harry is what made that first film work.

Eggsy and Taron as him were the weakest parts of the first film, if he works at all it is far more due to the writing than to anything Egerton brought to the role. Replace him with any number of actors in his age range and you pretty much either don't skip a beat or in fact improve the film or at least the character as he came across.

8. samsnee

samsnee Ok

The tracker scene didn’t offend me as much as killing off Roxy and Merlin. Mark Strong finally gets a good guy role and still dies.

9. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Registered

Or how about the evil president's subplot was dumb and stupid and made no sense.

10. samsnee

samsnee Ok

In these kinds of movies I can forgive dumb plots if the characterization is strong. It just wasn't in this movie. Even Harry didn't seem as interesting this time around, even though Firth probably had more to work with.

11. Silvermoth

Silvermoth Avenger

Kingsman Prequel Reportedly Eying Brad Pitt and Rachel Weisz

Sounds like Rachel will play sort of an Alfred to the protaganist’s batman. That would be a cool get. She was the best part of the mummy movies

Pennywise likes this.
  12. AVEITWITHJAMON

AVEITWITHJAMON Darksider

13. psylockolussus

A prequel already? And I'm betting it gets moved to 2020.

14. terry78

terry78 We'll be right back

Brad Pitt as Rasputin is probably the most sublime casting choice I have heard in a while.

15. Pennywise

Pennywise Registered

16. Batmannerism

Batmannerism Super-unknown

Agreed with most of that - especially the tracking device, that wasn't funny just crass. I certainly feel that the sequel was a failure compared to the first, which felt like a breath of fresh air whereas the sequel felt like a collection of rather generic action sequences.

Here are my other observations:

1)Roxy's demise was simply terrible, incredibly lazy writing. Merlin at least got a song, and to go out saving his mates - sad to see him go though.

2) I thought Harry's return wasn't bad - but Charlie was such an underwhelming villain, and Julianne Moore totally phoned it in.

3)The American characters felt like terrible cowboy cliches. At least the kingsmen were an interesting piss-take on James Bond - the cowboys were just lame.

4) What gave the first film its heart was the genuine relationship between Harry and Eggsy, and that wasn't as strong this time.

5)The final showdown with Pedro was nowhere near as entertaining as the fight with Gazelle. In general the action scenes were very bland. The Church massacre scene from the film is simply amazing for its choreography OTT piss take on violence ( and use of Lynyrd Skynyrd !), the sequel had nothing even close to that.

6) I felt the pacing was dreadful, e.g. the film launches into a confrontation with Charlie with absolutely no build up, and the middle of the film meanders.

7) The evil president plot was unnecessary and the main villain plot needed to be streamlined...it lacked the shock value of Valentine's killer cellphones.

All in all an inferior sequel. I hope the 3rd film can recapture what made the first film so much fun.

KRYPTON INC. likes this.
  17. Silvermoth

Silvermoth Avenger

Yeah look, the fingering thing wasn’t the finest moment. But poppy was a great villain and it has some interesting points.

They should probably try and diversify the writing team a bit to avoid moments like that scene

AVEITWITHJAMON likes this.
  18. Neno_Kos

Neno_Kos Registered

Not interested in 3rd one. Killing Roxy in laziest way possible was such a dumb move.

Batmannerism likes this.
  19. MOVIELORD101

MOVIELORD101 Utter Smeghead

I'm calling it now: they're gonna reveal in the next movie she survived and was just in hiding. We saw her dive out the window, FFS. Vaugn's pulling the same thing he did with Harry: if we don't see them die, they're not dead.

20. AVEITWITHJAMON

AVEITWITHJAMON Darksider

Thought this myself when I first saw the sequel, she knew the missile was coming and surely the Kingsman mansion had some defensive measures.

21. Lencho01

Lencho01 Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

22. samsnee

samsnee Ok

This article brings up a good point

https://news.avclub.com/taron-egerton-wont-be-in-the-next-kingsman-movie-but-w-1830296981

He didn’t say Kingsmen 3. So it’s possible the next one is the prequel that’s been discussed.

23. psylockolussus

They should make Kingsman 3: The Spy Stand first, before Kingsman Origins. They are doing the prequel route so early in the series. It's not like K2 did so well for them to focus in a prequel/spin off.

24. 2kt09

2kt09 Snyder Rent-Free

Hoping a prequel lets them scale back on the CGI. K2 was rough.

25. PhasedPlasma101

PhasedPlasma101 Registered

Same. I had a lot of fun watching it but that scene was repulsive and tacky as all get out. I'm all for showing sexy women in interesting new ways to suit the plot but that was downright offensive, coming from somebody that is very liberal in content. I still like Kingsmen 2 but that is such a stain on filmmaking.