Comics Latest Cup O' Joe and possible Spider-Man spoiler

stillanerd

Sidekick
Reaction score
EIC Joe Quesada gave an interview with CBR's today for his Cup O' Joe column. Aside from talking about "event fatigue" and the upcoming Siege event, he gets asked a couple of questions about Amazing Spider-Man. And some of it is...well...

Jonah Weiland: You threw a quote out on Twitter along the lines of "Holy crap! We've got something huge planned for the Spider-Man line that will make everyone happy!" Can you give us some context on that?

Welllllll, I did say some time ago that many of the unanswered questions about the wedding were going to be answered in 2010, and we're gearing up to that. It's very cool to see that we're finally coming on to that time. But no matter how much we answer, some people will just be upset anyway. I'm looking forward to it. [Laughter]

Kiel Phegley: Since "Brand New Day" kicked off, there have been a few stated goals for the thrice-monthly "Amazing Spider-Man." First, it was to reestablish single Peter and inject some new life into the property. Lately, you guys have been exploring a "phase two" with the return of several classic villains through this new "Gauntlet" storyline. Is there a "phase three" for "Brand New Day" on the way, and what would that look like?

Joe Quesada: Well, I think it's pretty obvious that MJ is going to be back, so that's going to open a whole new can of worms with respect to relationships the characters will have or won't have. Should I even say the word "baby"? Should I use that word? I'll just put that out there: Baby. Mary Jane. Baby. Mary Jane with a… yes, baby. I'll stop there.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=23853

:shock

Any thoughts?

Yeah... What unanswered questions from the wedding were there?
And why are they not answering any questions on OMD?
And I thought MJ was back already?

I love it... :up:

:yay:

What, the possibility that she becomes pregnant with another man's kid other than Peter? I think that would just be a TERRIBLE idea, given what usually happens in these scenarios--either there's a miscarriage or, if the woman gives birth, she winds up giving it up for adoption. Happened with the Spoiler, Catwoman, and (to some extent) Gwen Stacy. It usually lead to a dead end and only manages to piss off and alienate readers.

However, the other alternatives could be that Peter and MJ wind up having a night of spontaneous lovemaking/make-up sex which leads to MJ thinking she's pregnant and that Peter is the father. Course, given how Quesada doesn't like the idea of Peter actually fathering kids, it would be a false alarm, but mainly something used to examine why Peter and MJ broke up in the first place and make them wonder if they should get back together.

Another alternative, if the idea of making MJ a single mom is what they are going for, is to have her wind up taking care of Norman and Lily's baby. Perhaps Harry doesn't want anything to do with the kid and, figuring Liz has got enough to worry about, decides to let MJ raise it. You then have MJ face all the pitfalls of being a single mom with a career without the problems of the kid being biologically hers and allows the dilemma for Peter to want to help her raise the kid, but all his duties as Spider-Man keep getting in the way of this and she's reluctant to have his help because of that and the fact they are no longer together. Not to mention you can also have further tension involved if Lily's father attempts to fight for custody of his grandson.

Or it could be a way to explain how baby May fits into the scheme of things since One More Day.

Either way, it's just Joe Q messing with us.

What, the possibility that she becomes pregnant with another man's kid other than Peter? I think that would just be a TERRIBLE idea, given what usually happens in these scenarios--either there's a miscarriage or, if the woman gives birth, she winds up giving it up for adoption. Happened with the Spoiler, Catwoman, and (to some extent) Gwen Stacy. It usually lead to a dead end and only manages to piss off and alienate readers.

However, the other alternatives could be that Peter and MJ wind up having a night of spontaneous lovemaking/make-up sex which leads to MJ thinking she's pregnant and that Peter is the father. Course, given how Quesada doesn't like the idea of Peter actually fathering kids, it would be a false alarm, but mainly something used to examine why Peter and MJ broke up in the first place and make them wonder if they should get back together.

Another alternative, if the idea of making MJ a single mom is what they are going for, is to have her wind up taking care of Norman and Lily's baby. Perhaps Harry doesn't want anything to do with the kid and, figuring Liz has got enough to worry about, decides to let MJ raise it. You then have MJ face all the pitfalls of being a single mom with a career without the problems of the kid being biologically hers and allows the dilemma for Peter to want to help her raise the kid, but all his duties as Spider-Man keep getting in the way of this and she's reluctant to have his help because of that and the fact they are no longer together. Not to mention you can also have further tension involved if Lily's father attempts to fight for custody of his grandson.

Or it could be a way to explain how baby May fits into the scheme of things since One More Day.

Either way, it's just Joe Q messing with us.

No... I meant I love the internet storm that his comments will stir up.... :woot: :woot: :woot:

Aloha,
I'm surprised that no one asked him how the Marvel/Disney move will affect the Marvel Universe.Since they're planning Spidey into a year or more, I guess for the short term, there won't be a change.Time will tell.
Spidey rules

Can't they just leave well enough alone?

If they don't want MJ and Peter together, then just don't put them together. They don't have to add a silly plot gimmick like a baby. Who thinks this bastard baby of MJ's will actually be canon in twenty years time? It will probably be retconned faster than you can say "Mephisto." Lay a foundation down for strong stories in the future. Don't come up with stuff out of nowhere. And please don't throw crap at a wall and see what sticks, because most of it doesn't.

Well, Superman's baby in "Superman Returns" was such a positive development and really made that film a spectacular hit....

I bet we won't find out who the father is for a loooooooooooooooooonnnnngggg time.
And then when we do, it will turn out to be Peter's.
Maybe they are trying to bring baby May back?

No... I meant I love the internet storm that his comments will stir up.... :woot: :woot: :woot:

Not me. That's been Joe's "battle plan" for Spidey for going on ten years now:

1) Stir the ****

2) Rile the fans up

3) Rinse and repeat

I guess it sells books, or whatever, but it's kinda old.

1) Stir the ****

2) Rile the fans up

3) Rinse and repeat

I agree... however, I don't love the fact that Joe does it... I DO love the rabid, overblown & crazy specualtive reaction that somes from the "fans" on the internet... it's hillarious most times...

:o

^^ Lol, i have to agree. Paragraphs and pragraphs of rants, etc. Though, I will admit, I did exactly that when they enede the marriage. Still, though, it is funny to watch. I'm just happy the books are great now.

Can't they just leave well enough alone?

If they don't want MJ and Peter together, then just don't put them together.

They don't want them being married, not being together.

1) Stir the ****

2) Rile the fans up

3) Rinse and repeat

Aloha,
It's old to veterans such as us, but to the neophytes of comic book marketing, THEY FALL FOR IT EVERY TIME:doh::whatever::word:
Spidey rules

No offense, but is there anything you don't think is awesome?
SOrry if it seems that way, JJJ. BUt, of course i do. Lately, and hell, for the past few months, that's some of the only things i've been saying about the things i like. PM me and i can explain more, because that's not the first time someone has asked that.

Amazing Spider-man is the unforgivable sin of comic books now thanks to Joe Quesada. They just gave up all pretense of decent character development or resolution. They made the character into an idiotic back-stabber who would rather quit rather than face up to an sort of consequences. It's just putting out books now,there's no resolution or a follow through. Even the artists(most of which we've never heard of before) and writers appear to change from issue to issue. What's the point other than putting out a lousy book. :doh:

Civil War #2 is the dumbest thing I've ever seen in a comic book.:csad: It's a nothing that goes on forever.

See, hmn, the thing is, sadly they've made my favorite character that I've been a customer for and huge fan of (since the very start) into a total joke now.

I am still reading my friend's issues, that he also still loathes, but buys for his runs (he started at the very start too)....but i don't write much anymore, or as much as i used to, because spider-man comics have become a big sad joke to me.

Peter Parker is a totally regressed loser. Aunt May and MJ, totally regressed, especially compared to JMS's run where they for once had purpose and progression of sorts.

MJ and a baby. Wow, more shock and awe or who knows what...i don't even care now. I mean, that's it, i do care, but this crap they're churning out isn't recognizable to me, nor relatable. Does she adopt? Mystery sperm guy pregnancy? Devil-child after effect of devil deal?? Who knows? Who cares!

My LCS guy is HIGHLY annoyed with MArvel's flagship title, because his sales are real down, and the (majority) of the talk is typically negative he says. I am highly annoyed right long with him.

I WANT to be buying and WANT to be liking my favorite hero. Where is he being published tho????????

He is not moving TPB's at all. Issues, yes, less customers buying more issues. TPB's, not moving, period.

Besides the excitement from some on some boards when Pete sleeps with someone, or whatever the current shock and awe is, spider-man in this current OMD/BND World is lame and not the 616 Peter Parker i grew up loving and admiring. If i picked him up now, having never read him before, I would not relate and would not buy like i did my WHOLE LIFE, because i would think he was a jerk/loser/hobo. Just my rant and opinion. Sorry. I amjust not seeing the point of putting out this rubbish and stamping it with "Amazing" 3X....it is sad to me, very sad.
And that is not getting into how some of the creative team has treated dissenting fans, or customers have treated other customers, just because they are put out by such a devisive time period of spidey comics. It is sad really. Sad.

Spider-Man is like Gangs of New York now. Marriage vs. Single is what it is all about, and MArvel are the ones who put the focus of spidey onto THAT. It should have been about good stories, period, not about marital status and devil deals and reboots. Yet Joe whined for two years how the marriage kept him awake at nite and how he didn't liek the marriage. It is now about what tribe or side of the fence you are on, in this devisive time. Not that you're just a spider-fan. You write something on almost any board, and you are automatically labeled and dismissed as pro-marriage or pro-single...or whatever. Tired of it.

Whew. This turned into a letter! LOL

Last edited:
It's interesting because I felt the same way as FN when Pete got married. It totally destroyed my conception of the character. How could the man who was all about responsibility let someone into his life like that, especially a super-model party girl. I didn't recognize him. I stopped reading, then came back again after awhile. Then, JMS (to me) turned Pete again into something I didn't recognize with "The Other" and "Sins Past." I decided to stick with the book this time, as I love the character more than I love any particular iteration of him, and despite its rocky start, I have to say I've enjoyed ASM post-BND than I've enjoyed ASM in a long, long time. I think the stories have been quite good, especially recently.

In part, I think these things are cyclical. It's very hard keeping a character fresh that never really ages but that has to go on for an untold number of years. After all, Pete would be 62 this year (he was 15 in 1962 when he got the spider-bite). DC has dealt with the whole continuity issue by largely ignoring it. Batman, celebrating his 70th year, for example, doesn't much concern itself with continuity and instead focuses on good stories and art. Perhaps, someday, Marvel will have to abandon concerns about continuity and will do what DC has done with Batman & Superman (and nearly everyone else in its stable of characters). Right now, a new generation of SM fans is growing up with a post-BND, single, younger Spidey, so I suspect if Pete gets marred again 20 years hence that they will (like I was) be outraged at the thought of a married Pete. However, it will only go on for another 20 years if the stories and art remain good. I think both are pretty good right now, better than in the 90's or under the re-booting without saying its a re-boot that JMS brought to the character.

We could even be at the point where we're going to witness the demise of the comic book as we know it. It may evolve into digital one shots with the focus being on video games and animated TV shows. The comic book market has become far more fragmented and its sales are down with respect to single titles (although pretty good if you lump in all titles and manga and tpbs). It's an interesting time to be involved with the medium, to be sure.

EIC Joe Quesada gave an interview with CBR's today for his Cup O' Joe column. Aside from talking about "event fatigue" and the upcoming Siege event, he gets asked a couple of questions about Amazing Spider-Man. And some of it is...well...

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=23853

:shock

Any thoughts?

I almost forgot why I quit reading Spider-Man. Thanks for the reminder!!

Seriously, it's getting ridiculous. First, a baby was a bad idea. Now, it's a great idea, so long as it not Peter's.

I'm still out.

Yeah, I mean... I'm starting to think the whole OMD/BND thing was less and less about concern for the marriage, and more about generally shaking things up. Joe Q has proven nothing more than to just add cheap shock value to the Marvel line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"