• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Dark Knight Ledger: Joker darker more sinister

Isildur´s Heir said:
Well, that´s not my fear, but, for all i´ve read so far, there is a real "danger" of The Joker being a bit diferent from the comics, when it comes to physical representation, meaning, the green hair and white face and whatever...

I still fail to see where the "more about his eyes" fall into place...
I agree, Nicholson´s portrail was not that scary to begin with, he was an update of the pre-crisis, but pre-crisis nevertheless, with an exaggeration on the all theatrical angle.
The question that you have to make to yourself is, why does The Joker does what he does?
And when you answer it, you´ll realize that the eyes are not more important than the laughter.

My interpretation is that the eyes are the windows to the soul. The laughter, the face, the hair, the clothes those are all just manifestations of the insanity inside him. It all starts from within.
Gosh, i'm being so zen. :)

LadyVader said:
. Would you imagine Hannibal Lecter raping anybody?

I couldn't imagine Anthony Hopkins raping anyone. Though I want to.

We probably wouldn't see Joker rape. But, singing it while comiting a very grouesome act? Heck yeah- I could see that.

The Joker is the ultimate satist.

"I'm singing in the rain, what a wonderful feeling I'm having today"

zer00 said:
I couldn't imagine Anthony Hopkins raping anyone. Though I want to.

I think there comes a day when we all take a moment to imagine Anthony Hopkins raping somebody.

...The more you know. :wish:

Ok, then- jw, who do you consider to be the ultimate comic book satist?

Because in my books- Joker beats them all.

One of my favorite lines in a comic that I was reading today in a confrontation between him and Black Mask is when Joker yells at Black Mask for doing what he does- or something like that-

Black Mask: Stopping Batman?
Joker: Killing a Robin

Or something along those lines.

And plenty examples in 'Killing Joke'

It's sadist. Satist isn't a word.

And yes, the Joker is a sadist. He takes enjoyment out of torture and pain, the very definition of sadism.

He does things that are sadist. Psychologically he's not a sadist. Dahmer asn't a sadist(not that I'm comparing the two) but he did many things that sadists do. The complexity and the simplicity of the Joker make him something else. Not a sadist. I'd go into greater detail but it's 2am.

zer00 said:
He does things that are sadist. Psychologically he's not a sadist. Dahmer asn't a sadist(not that I'm comparing the two) but he did many things that sadists do. The complexity and the simplicity of the Joker make him something else. Not a sadist. I'd go into greater detail but it's 2am.

Again, I agree. Now take it and leave it dammit.

zer00 said:

Yes. I agree with that.

He transcends the term.

Don't know what the 'full term' of sadist means- other than getting pure enjoyment out of the crime and doing it in a very sick manner. But, yeah- zer00 you just put up a great description.

sadism –noun
1. Psychiatry. sexual gratification gained through causing pain or degradation to others. Compare masochism.
2. any enjoyment in being cruel.
3. extreme cruelty.

The Joker enjoys and revels in his violent acts. Sadism is not a purely sexual idea, and it fits the Joker well. This is not to say this is the only condition that forms his character. He's also psychotic, narcissistic, and shows some traits of sociopathy.

Wonderful, wonderful news. I'm just psyched. I mean, I've always thought that Ledger had the balls, guts, and glory to do the character very well, but I am so hyped about seeing him now. I'm holding for more news... YES!!!!!!!!!!! TDK is gonna own 2008!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

zer00 said:
No he's not
Just see The Killing Joke, for example. The guy shoots a young girl aware that he´s shattering her spine and paralising her for life. He did it gratuitously, without any attack or provocation from her. The whole time, he´s smiling and joking about the fact right in front of her father. hen he kidnaps the father and makes him see pictures of her. If that doesn´t define a sadistic person, I don´t know what does.

Some of you guys on here take things far too literally. I mean, c'mon.

Atleast they're not going on about raped childhoods like people on TF boards.........yet. Unless it's some witty remark like

"Ledger's performance as Joker raped my childhood while singin' in the rain"

That would be semi-readable....

I hate how some of you people are like "OHhhhhhhh, Joker is such a twisted crazy psycho bad mo-fo" Alot of the time, to me the joker seems like some 1 dimensional stereotypical crazy person. Not all the time, but I think alot of the theatrics and the cooky laugh kind of get taken over board sometimes.
And alot of the time, I have a hard time taking him seriously, because of this.

Like, when I see him kill or shoot somebody it doesn't really register because he seems so cartoon like. Like for say, in a cartoon you see guys get smacked with giant hammers and anvils all the time, but you don't really care, or think it's horrible or cruel.

And I'm glab Ledger is talking about the eyes and how it's more important then the laugh and all that. Sure, it's part of the package, but have not laughing his ass off all the time isn't going to make me seem less crazy. In fact, most insane people seem normal from the outset. It's always brewing on the inside.

Look at these guys.
john-wayne-gacy.jpg

06821134122_karrmug230.jpg

ed_gein.jpg

You can tell there's something evil lurking inside those guys.
So I'm glab from what I've heard so far on where they're taking the Joker.

Carmine Falcone said:
After this Ledger quote about more about the eyes some people start overreacting that we won't see the laugh at all. Nolan stays close to the spirit of the comic, we have seen this in BB. So why people expect that Nolan will butcher the Joker is beyond me Same with the ''Nolan goes for realism, so Joker will be a disgusting self-carving rapist''

I have no doubt we will see the flamboyant, crazy laughing Joker. I think Ledger means that there will be moments where we will see the true psycho that is hidden beneath all the laughing and theatricality. Proved by a shot of really ****ed up scary eyes (to put it very simply) like Anthony Hopkins. In B89 we didn't have that. Most of it was Jack nicholson shouting and laughing. He was a menace ofcourse, but I didn't think he was very scary. Maybe this Joker will be.

Well said, my friend :up:

Dark Knight said:
They say the eyes are the windows to the soul......and in Jokers case more importantly....the psyche.
:wow: You must be a mind reader. I was just about to say that.:D

Now the question you must ask. Does Ledger have those intense eyes? I can name a few actors who are great 'eye actors'.I haven't seen enough of Ledger to know. Nolan obviously has.

Tempest19 said:
We probably wouldn't see Joker rape. But, singing it while comiting a very grouesome act? Heck yeah- I could see that.

The Joker is the ultimate satist.

"I'm singing in the rain, what a wonderful feeling I'm having today"
All this talk about Joker raping someone.Do people realize that this is still a Pg-13 movie geared towards kids, teens and adults?

Retroman said:
Now the question you must ask. Does Ledger have those intense eyes? I can name a few actors who are great 'eye actors'.I haven't seen enough of Ledger to know. Nolan obviously has.

And we all know better than to question Nolan about what he sees in an actor's eyes. Remember Cillian Murphy? ;)

Fenrir said:
And we all know better than to question Nolan about what he sees in an actor's eyes. Remember Cillian Murphy? ;)
Yeah, a lot of the "Ledger haturz" are probably the same who said Murphy was too handsome for Crane or that Oldman could only play villains...

Fenrir said:
True. :word:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"