• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Dark Knight Ledger: Joker darker more sinister

Eros said:
I DUN GET what some bodies eyes have to do with the character, are they gonna sped an entire scene showing Joker eyes? Are his eyes gonna make up for lack of dialogue? Are we gonna get DR.claw in inspector gadget and only see Jokers eyes, as he watches Batman and the police try and solve his murders? This may be my youth speaking or whatever, but i dun get what eyes have to do with anything. The courts don't convict killers because their eyes are scary or thought provoking or whatever.

They say the eyes are the windows to the soul......and in Jokers case more importantly....the psyche.

Dark Knight said:
They say the eyes are the windows to the soul......

doesn't matter what your eyes are like, you either bad or good in your life.

^^man . . . it's called metaphor . . . look it up

DV8 said:
^^man . . . it's called metaphor . . . look it up

i know what it is, just saying i dun want Joker eyes to define him.

See..less about his laugh and more about his eyes.
This line is great, but, at the same time, it really scares me.

The Joker should be portraited as a really psychopath, in the likes of Hannibal Lecter or John Doe, that´s a given, i didn´t need Ledger or Nolan to say it, that was always my vision, and the one of the comics (if you know how to read between the lines).
But, less about his laugh....he is called Joker for some reason.

After this Ledger quote about more about the eyes some people start overreacting that we won't see the laugh at all. Nolan stays close to the spirit of the comic, we have seen this in BB. So why people expect that Nolan will butcher the Joker is beyond me Same with the ''Nolan goes for realism, so Joker will be a disgusting self-carving rapist''

I have no doubt we will see the flamboyant, crazy laughing Joker. I think Ledger means that there will be moments where we will see the true psycho that is hidden beneath all the laughing and theatricality. Proved by a shot of really ****ed up scary eyes (to put it very simply) like Anthony Hopkins. In B89 we didn't have that. Most of it was Jack nicholson shouting and laughing. He was a menace ofcourse, but I didn't think he was very scary. Maybe this Joker will be.

Carmine Falcone said:
After this Ledger quote about more about the eyes some people start overreacting that we won't see the laugh at all. Nolan stays close to the spirit of the comic, we have seen this in BB. So why people expect that Nolan will butcher the Joker is beyond me Same with the ''Nolan goes for realism, so Joker will be a disgusting self-carving rapist''

I have no doubt we will see the flamboyant, crazy laughing Joker. I think Ledger means that there will be moments where we will see the true psycho that is hidden beneath all the laughing and theatricality. Proved by a shot of really ****ed up scary eyes (to put it very simply) like Anthony Hopkins. In B89 we didn't have that. Most of it was Jack nicholson shouting and laughing. He was a menace ofcourse, but I didn't think he was very scary. Maybe this Joker will be.

I totally agree.:batty:

I think gillberg put it perfectly.

You bastard! Why didn't you quote it! You made me look up his post! :mad:

Are you trying to say that it wasn't worth it :huh:?

Boom said:
Are you trying to say that it wasn't worth it :huh:?

No..

But you made me....look it up! Don't you understand!

Nobody understands!

*cries uncontrollably*

Carmine Falcone said:
No..

But you made me....look it up! Don't you understand!

Nobody understands!

*cries uncontrollably*

Awwww... poor you... you had to go back one page... such a tragedy...:o

You mock me! You don't understand me either!

Leave me alone...just...LEAVE ME ALONE!

Carmine Falcone said:
You mock me! You don't understand me either!

Leave me alone...just...LEAVE ME ALONE!

*adds to ignore list*

:oldrazz:

gillberg2k1 said:
He's saying the eyes are more important to telling the character's story than just his laugh. He isnt that superficial. There's a much deeper character there.

It's the exact same arguement used against Batman having lenses. You can tell a pretty powerful story with your eyes. In just the same way Batman can show his dramatic intensity with his eyes, The Joker can show his psychotic intensity with his eyes.

Yeah this puts it great aswell.

But I guess we will have to hear ****loads of *****ing about almost every bit of news for the next year 1/2...It would't be the SHH Boards if we didn't ..;)

Isildur´s Heir said:
See..less about his laugh and more about his eyes.
This line is great, but, at the same time, it really scares me.

The Joker should be portraited as a really psychopath, in the likes of Hannibal Lecter or John Doe, that´s a given, i didn´t need Ledger or Nolan to say it, that was always my vision, and the one of the comics (if you know how to read between the lines).
But, less about his laugh....he is called Joker for some reason.
Don´t exaggerate the quote, guys, he never said Joker wouldn´t laugh...

Retroman said:
Inspirations
"I've always loved films. I started making films when I was seven years old and I haven't stopped. I never really thought about doing anything else. What I love are films that create their own particular geography, a particular world and emerse you in it for a couple of hours.

Hehe. Great. Because it looks like it that The Prestige will very much be that kind of film.

Whats with all the LEDGER hating all of a sudden in here???

Carmine Falcone said:
Well, that´s not my fear, but, for all i´ve read so far, there is a real "danger" of The Joker being a bit diferent from the comics, when it comes to physical representation, meaning, the green hair and white face and whatever...

I still fail to see where the "more about his eyes" fall into place...
I agree, Nicholson´s portrail was not that scary to begin with, he was an update of the pre-crisis, but pre-crisis nevertheless, with an exaggeration on the all theatrical angle.
The question that you have to make to yourself is, why does The Joker does what he does?
And when you answer it, you´ll realize that the eyes are not more important than the laughter.

ultimatefan said:
Don´t exaggerate the quote, guys, he never said Joker wouldn´t laugh...
I never said that, and neither did Ledger.
Less is not equal to non-existant.
The thing is about priorities

explode7 said:
Whats with all the LEDGER hating all of a sudden in here???
It´s been here all the time, but it´s surprising how some insist on it after such a spot on comment on the character...

regwec said:
In any case, the reason I object to Ledger's citation of the film is that I think The Joker is infinately more complex than any of the Droogs. They are childlike in their pursuit of violence, and I think that our villain needs to be much more cerebral. He is not a member of a counter-culture: that would be too conformist. He is a unique psychological mosaic of nuances and motivations. He is also not amoral, but rather immoral.

I retain some hope that Ledger made the comparrison only to highlight certain elements of the character- the predatory threat, the outlandish guise, the floral language, etc.
How can droogs be compared to Joker in a film that only has one Joker.
Saying that Ledger citing droogs as a reference is an unfair comparison because the TDK itself lends to the Joker being original and not part of a mindless conformist cult.

It's going to be more nuanced and dark and more along the lines of a Clockwork Orange kind of feel.

I think you might want to read what he said again. He didnt say he was modeling Joker after the characters he said it was coming from the "feel" of CO. Which is completely different.

I think you described the feel of OC fairly well and ,although inadvertantly, along with it the feel of Joker.
regwec said:
it glorifies violence in a particularly psuedo-artistic fashion.

As soon as I read that, omg- Ledger gets it!!!! My anticipation for the film just jumped up ALOT.

The "Singing in the Rain" rape scene in Clockwork Orange came to mind the second he said that. Lol. This is GREAT!!!

Oh for the love of Mike. Joker raping anybody is the one thing I can never see him do. He may be a twisted f**k but he was never in it for the p***y. He's a another sort of evil alltogether. Would you imagine Hannibal Lecter raping anybody?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"