Legendary/Capcom developing Street Fighter film

These guys are saying and doing all the right things and it gives me hope. I think the bigger question with this one is… CAN you make a good movie out of Street Fighter? I guess anything is possible but it’s one of those properties that’s insanely goofy and weird and yet incredibly simplistic at the same time. I’ve said for… decades now that one of the problems video game adaptations have had is that they often try to adapt games with little to no story simply because they are popular. In the case of SF, it’s basically just a fighting tournament with a bunch of oddball characters. Probably not too hard to adapt faithfully but I do worry that it could be hard to make it actually good. Hope so though.

These guys are saying and doing all the right things and it gives me hope. I think the bigger question with this one is… CAN you make a good movie out of Street Fighter? I guess anything is possible but it’s one of those properties that’s insanely goofy and weird and yet incredibly simplistic at the same time. I’ve said for… decades now that one of the problems video game adaptations have had is that they often try to adapt games with little to no story simply because they are popular. In the case of SF, it’s basically just a fighting tournament with a bunch of oddball characters. Probably not too hard to adapt faithfully but I do worry that it could be hard to make it actually good. Hope so though.

I mean, yeah, it started basically just as simple fighting game, but over the years, a lot of different people have added to and expanded on the lore of the series through animation, graphic novels, etc. Not to the level or extent of something like League of Legends or the like, but there’s definitely a lot to draw from and adapt.

For example, the anime film Street Fighter II: The Movie basically involves Ken and Ryu on their individual soul-searching journeys, while Guile and Chun-Li go on a globetrotting journey to investigate and stop M. Bison’s plot to capture and brainwash all of the world’s best fighters to take down government leaders to attain more control/power. There is no tournaments at all in the film, and it’s still a great film with a well told, good story. Assassin’s Fist basically chronicles Gouken, from his initial training and fallout with another student who would later become Akuma, to him becoming a master to train/raise Ryu and Ken almost like his own sons in a kind of coming-of-age story. Again, no tournament, but still works narratively.

So, yeah, it can be done. There are ways of telling stories set in this universe without having to always rely on just the tournament parts.

Last edited:
I mean, yeah, it started basically just as simple fighting game, but over the years, a lot of different people have added to and expanded on the lore of the series through animation, graphic novels, etc. Not to the level or extent of something like League of Legends or the like, but there’s definitely a lot to draw from and adapt.

For example, the anime film Street Fighter II: The Movie basically involves Ken and Ryu on their individual soul-searching journeys, while Guile and Chun-Li go on a globetrotting journey to investigate and stop M. Bison’s plot to capture and brainwash all of the world’s best fighters to take down government leaders to attain more control/power. There is no tournaments at all in the film, and it’s still a great film with a well told, good story. Assassin’s Fist basically chronicles Gouken, from his initial training and fallout with another student who would later become Akuma, to him becoming a master to train/raise Ryu and Ken almost like his own sons in a kind of coming-of-age story. Again, no tournament, but still works narratively.

So, yeah, it can be done. There are ways of telling stories set in this universe without having to always rely on just the tournament parts.
Yeah, exactly. A good writer can take advantage of things like this and would hopefully do the necessary research. And when you have people in charge who understand the source material to this extent and are legit fans with the talent to back it up, you are in a good place. It seems the directors will have already seen or read much of what’s needed so they will be well positioned to make the best possible effort at putting together something that works in live action.

I’m sure they’ll be making sure the writer is on board with their vision and not just pumping something out like we’ve seen with Mortal Kombat. No way they allow any Cole Young rubbish here to replace Ryu!

It’s funny, in terms of looks and fighting skills, Lewis Tan would actually make a decent Ryu. But after seeing him as Cole Young I kinda never want to hear him speak again, lol.

Yeah, Mike Moh would be good. Though since I will always associate him with Bruce Lee, I would rather see him as Fei Long than Ryu.

Mike Moh actually did a decent job IMO, but that was a web series. Still if it were between Moh and Tan, I'd still pick Moh.

We'll see how this turns out.

Moh did a great job as Ryu in Assassin’s Fist and had great chemistry with Christian Howard’s Ken in the series!

Still bummed out Joey Ansah and Howard never got to make World Warrior.

Yeah, Mike Moh would be good. Though since I will always associate him with Bruce Lee, I would rather see him as Fei Long than Ryu.
He’d be great as either. But if they can get a great Ryu, then happy for him to do Fei Long which might be the overall better fit. Getting a good Ryu is absolutely crucial.

I’d be happy with Moh as Ryu again, but I have a feeling they’ll want to go with a younger actor as he’ll be turning 40 this year.

I’d be down with him as Fei Long, though.

He’d be great as either. But if they can get a great Ryu, then happy for him to do Fei Long which might be the overall better fit. Getting a good Ryu is absolutely crucial.

Agreed. Fei Long is cool but I don’t need to see him in this. But Ryu needs to be in it and he needs to be main character, if not THE main character.

Agreed. Fei Long is cool but I don’t need to see him in this. But Ryu needs to be in it and he needs to be main character, if not THE main character.
Ryu is always the main character for me, and I hope the film chooses to go with that. But that doesn’t mean Ken, Chun-Li and Guile can’t be up there with him. But I’d like if the film started and ended on a Ryu note.

They will try to avoid making Ryu the main character.

More Cole Turner BS or whatever.

Ryu is always the main character for me, and I hope the film chooses to go with that. But that doesn’t mean Ken, Chun-Li and Guile can’t be up there with him. But I’d like if the film started and ended on a Ryu note.

Oh yeah, all of those characters should have big roles too. I’m fine with a shared spotlight. I just want Ryu to be one of the main players and not some d-bag off to the side running con jobs with Ken.

They will try to avoid making Ryu the main character.

More Cole Turner BS or whatever.

Cole Young*

Cole Turner was the name of Chris Evans’s character in that stupid Ghosted movie that just came out. I guess someone in Hollywood REALLY felt we needed a character named Cole Turner after they changed it in MK, lol.

Oh yeah, all of those characters should have big roles too. I’m fine with a shared spotlight. I just want Ryu to be one of the main players and not some d-bag off to the side running con jobs with Ken.

Cole Young*

Cole Turner was the name of Chris Evans’s character in that stupid Ghosted movie that just came out. I guess someone in Hollywood REALLY felt we needed a character named Cole Turner after they changed it in MK, lol.
I want those 4 to be the big 4, but Ryu with with his nose slightly out in front. He is the definitive SF character IMO.

So, not only are they doing their research through all the games, comics and such, they are also looking into the real life people and places, so far as to actually traveling to Thailand, meeting the real life person that inspired Sagat and finding the exact location that inspired his stage in the video game.

Yeah, these guys are perfect for this. They get it, they actually get it. The more I hear and see, the more excited I get.

So, not only are they doing their research through all the games, comics and such, they are also looking into the real life people and places, so far as to actually traveling to Thailand, meeting the real life person that inspired Sagat and finding the exact location that inspired his stage in the video game.

Yeah, these guys are perfect for this. They get it, they actually get it. The more I hear and see, the more excited I get.
I couldn’t have dreamed we’d get people so passionate for Street Fighter behind this. Really hoping them every success.

If I'm Andrew Koji, I'd avoid a role like this after Snake-Eyes: GI Joe Origins. He risks being typecast. Plus, he already starred in Warrior. He should be looking for more roles like Bullet Train.

Just saying if the movie turns out bad, and he's the lead, it's going to be partially put on his shoulders.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"