Legendary/Capcom developing Street Fighter film

Only way Koji gets blamed for leading a bad movie is if he is also bad in it. Rami Malek won an Oscar for a terrible film.

If I'm Andrew Koji, I'd avoid a role like this after Snake-Eyes: GI Joe Origins. He risks being typecast. Plus, he already starred in Warrior. He should be looking for more roles like Bullet Train.

Just saying if the movie turns out bad, and he's the lead, it's going to be partially put on his shoulders.
Hopefully the film’s decent. The signs are good that these filmmakers are very passionate about the source material and doing way more research than anyone could have asked unlike most who have been in charge of things like this. Also their parody execution without a proper budget was already very entertaining so hopefully they can bring that energy to a full scale production.

Speaking of SF...the naming of some characters is a little bit chaos between here in Japan and in US.
So I am not sure which Vega are you referring to here.lol

For example...
Vega (the final boss) in Japan is M.Bison in US.
M.Bison (the boxer) in Japan is Balrog in US.
Balrog (the matador) in Japan is Vega in US.
Gouki in Japan is Akuma in US.

I'd like really want to know the history behind this name swapping. Hahaha.
8pod71.gif

My understanding is it went somewhat like this:

-M.Bison (the boxer) in Japan, was clearly a play on the real boxer Mike Tyson (M.Tyson), which if used in the US, could lead to rights infringement.
-At the same time, the name Vega in the West, was somewhat more associated with a Latin name, in particular the character Zorro, a Spanish, Masked, Bladed fighter, (eccentric alter ego) called de la Vega. So the name and theme fit the Spanish, Masked, Bladed, Matador character better.
Freeing up the name Balrog (the Matador in Japan) now for the Boxer.
-And M.Bison (the Boxer's name in Japan) now freed up for the final Boss. The name Bison and look somewhat invoking the powerful, broad shouldered bovine.

Edit: apologies for the necro-thread, and anyone anticipating news, came up in a search and didn't check the date.
No idea what's up with the movie? :funny:
But really they need to stop trying to defuse them, and embrace these characters with all their over-the-top eccentricities, looks and cliches, and drop them into a story that can showcase them at their outrageous fighting best.

8qps14.jpg

8q9vz9.gif

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"