The Wolverine Let The Claws Do The Talking - Rate & Review "The Wolverine"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm definitely going back for a 4th show before I go back to work on Monday. :up:

Thats it you have inspired me to go a third time, I feel like Im letting the side down:woot:

He only lost the adamantium from his claws, because they were chopped off. He still has the rest of it on his skeleton, which is why he opted out of the metal detector at the airport.

He had the bone claws in the end credits scene, but Magneto froze the rest of him to keep Logan from attacking him.

They'll presumably resolve the claw issue in DOFP.
Ah you're right if he'd have had [blackout]the adamantium pulled out from him it would be extremely painful [/blackout]like in the Fatal Attraction storyline.

But I guess audiences aren't ready for a noseless Hugh Jackman.

This is hands down one of my favorite superhero films of all time. It's surprised me that it's better than Iron Man 3 (still shocked that out of the three supe films so far it's the weakest one). It was just a great comic book story turned movie. It was a great blend of action and drama. And what shocked me again, the fact that there was less action really worked for this movie (unlike IM3 smh). To me The Wolverine story was less about the spectacle and more about the journey of Logan finding himself again after everything he's been through. The movie was able to translate this really well to me. When I first heard about Jean making her appearances I thought it was going to be a stupid add on but it actually really worked with Logan's struggles.

My only qualms with the film are the third act somewhat. Like everyone said it did fall into the superhero film tropes when I honestly think it didn't really have to. I think this film would have been best if it stood out from the pack by not having the action packed third act final battle scene. My other qualm was Viper. If they were going to add her in I feel like they should have done something better with her character, though her death scene was really nice.

Overall 8.5/10
Had to knock a point off for the third act and Viper. Overall it's the 7th best superhero film in my opinion. That says a lot to me. Fox finally got something right.

1) The Dark Knight
2) Avengers
3) Man of Steel
4) Spider-Man 2
5) Iron Man
6) X2
7) The Wolverine

Now hopefully Singer can get DoFP right because if he can that might be the most epic superhero film ever.

PS: That post credit scene.... :woot:

This film was refreshing because of the scale. We've seen the "city/world-in-peril" scenario play out in X-Men, Avengers, and Batman. To see the MCU dialed back and focused solely on Logan's inner demons for awhile was necessary.

Likewise, after all of the future-tech backdrops from Banner/Stark/Wayne/Xavier, it was fitting to see the loner hero in the woods and surrounded by the echoes of Japanese history.

Lastly, I feel confident in saying that no comic book character is indebted as much to the actor/actress portraying it as much as Wolvernine to Jackman. Other lead actors have intricate costumes and an array of props to lend them credibility as the hero/heroine being portrayed. Jackman has made Wolverine come to life with some claw props, while wearing nothing but his jeans.

And while I'm amazed at Jackman's acting skills, I'm floored by the commitment he's given to his physique. He's got great genetics to be sure, but to actually put on mass and get more toned in his late 30s and 40s takes a lot of dedication.

He's got great genetics to be sure, but to actually put on mass and get more toned in his late 30s and 40s takes a lot of dedication.
Yes. I think its inspiring for a lot of people that he achieved his best physique at age 44 which is pretty darn impressive. 44 is not a small number.

Not to mention its doubly hard to do it at 44 than it is at 24, more so in fact, I am 31 and struggle to stay as fit as I was 3/4 years ago.

Did anyone else listen to the MMM Podcast? Unusally Brad stuck up for this film quite abit but the others were overly critical I thought.

I thought the film was excellent and genuinely did the Wolverine character justice. So much better than Origins it practically goes without saying. I didn't mind the third act so much, even though it did feel different from the rest of the film tonally. I'd love to see an extended version sometime, some scenes felt quite heavily edited. I'm so pleased it ended up being good :yay:

Yes. I think its inspiring for a lot of people that he achieved his best physique at age 44 which is pretty darn impressive. 44 is not a small number.

Not to mention its doubly hard to do it at 44 than it is at 24, more so in fact, I am 31 and struggle to stay as fit as I was 3/4 years ago.

I just turned 40, and I can attest to the fact that one's body just isn't quite the same as in the 20s. The change isn't always huge, but most people who have been exercising since they were young will tell you that it takes longer to get the body prepped for a workout. It takes longer to recover as well.

I've heard several actors talk about how brutal it is to play a lead super hero role. I wouldn't blame Jackman at all if he had said, "I'm middle-aged now, it's time for me to move on from such a physically demanding role.". Instead, he's showing more dedication than ever to his look and doing more intricate fight scenes than ever. He likes being Wolverine, and that comes across on screen.

Last edited:
I just turned 40, and I can attest to the fact that one's body just isn't quite the same as in the 20s. The change isn't always huge, but most people who have been exercising since they were young will tell you that it takes longer to get the body prepped for a workout. It takes longer to recover as well.

I've heard several actors talk about how brutal it is to play a lead super hero role. I wouldn't blame Jackman at all if he had said, "I'm middle-aged now, it's time for me to move on from such a physically demanding role.". Instead, he's showing more dedication that ever to his look and doing more intricate fight scenes than ever. He likes being Wolverine, and that comes across on screen.
Yeah even in interviews it shows how much Jackman is so dedicated to Wolverine that I don't think he's the type to look back and say he was embarrased about it unlike other actors who might be playing superheroes.

:yay: The film is now at 69% on RT... just 1% more to make the film "Fresh" at 70%, hopefully it can do it!

^ Sorry... my mistake. A film on RT needs to be rated 75% (4 stars) or higher to be rated "Fresh" because Pacific Rim is at 72% and isn't fresh. But hopefully Wolverine can hit at least 70%.

Anything above 60% is already fresh or else we would have seen that green icon beside the score.

0%-59% - rotten
60% to 74 %- fresh
75% to 100% - certified fresh

Anything above 60% is already fresh or else we would have seen that green icon beside the score.

0%-59% - rotten
60% to 74 %- fresh
75% to 100% - certified fresh

It's certified fresh when it's consistently around 75% fresh or higher from critics and top critics. It'll stay "certified" until it drop below 70%.

Iron Man 2 is actualy "Certified Fresh" at 73%. And somehow Fast 6 is "Certified Fresh" at 69%. But 76% of top critics liked it. That's how it stays "certified."

It's a weird system.

And a lot of the "rotten" reviews aren't even that negative. They mostly say that certain movies are mediocre, not out and out terrible.

And a lot of the "rotten" reviews aren't even that negative. They mostly say that certain movies are mediocre, not out and out terrible.

Actually if you go to Metacritic, there's only 1 negative review out of 43 reviews. The rest are positive and mixed.

http://www.metacritic.com/movie/the-wolverine

I feel like the last twenty minutes just dragged down the movie but if the last twenty minutes were as good or better than the first 90 minutes, I'm pretty sure this film would get a higher RT rating than Iron Man 2 and Amazing Spider-Man. And it would be very close to what X1 got in RT.

I am curious, what about the final act did you have a problem with? It was still pretty self-contained, Yashida's motives never changed, just his methods, and it was hinted at and built up to throughout the movie. I'm not disagreeing with you, I just want to hear your thoughts.

-Its the pacing
-I felt like everything happened so fast
-The ninja-fight scene was trimmed down
-I wish the reveal of the twist was handled better, like earlier in the movie, when the Silver Samurai stood up to chop Wolverine's claws and everything about SS/Viper's intentions were revealed and probably, Wolverine would have a better reaction to it instead of just saying Sayonara at the end.
-I didn't like how Mariko was poisoned by Viper but in her next scene she was suddenly okay when she woke up (i thought something worse was gonna happen to her)
-I'm also not a big fan of Mariko throwing the claws to Yashida
-I don't think the role of Harada was handled that well, like turning on SS/Viper.
-I also think if the fights of Viper/Yukio and SS/Wolverine weren't going back and forth, the fights would have been more bad-ass.
-And I'm pretty sure they cut a couple of scenes from Viper in the final act and we didn't know her end game.

I really felt the change of quality when I first watched the movie, though it got better in my 2nd viewing.

Last edited:
I am curious, what about the final act did you have a problem with? It was still pretty self-contained, Yashida's motives never changed, just his methods, and it was hinted at and built up to throughout the movie. I'm not disagreeing with you, I just want to hear your thoughts.

I just felt like Mecha-Yashida was a bit cheesy.

For me personally the final showdown should have been something like Shingen vs Wolverine, in terms of style. Just two guys beating the hell out of each other with swords and claws, with no robot suit, no claws cut off, and no viper. Just a brutal and dark fight.

So basically what thy just did fifteen minutes earlier with Shingen, ok I can understand that, I liked that it was different, but that is just a personal preference. The claws getting cut off was brilliant because there are actual lasting consequences for Logan (and the cool bone claws are back). I agree about the ninja fight, it should have been longer. I wonder if it was cut to get a PG-13 rating? I loved Mariko throwing the knives. One, it made her more than just a damsel in distress in the final act, in fact she saves Logan. Two, it was set up earlier when she mentions that she was a champion knife thrower, nice payoff there. Three, it was her symbolically rejecting her grandfather and what he stood for. I liked Harada, but I can understand why some people don't like his role, its personal preference.

So basically what thy just did fifteen minutes earlier with Shingen, ok I can understand that, I liked that it was different, but that is just a personal preference. The claws getting cut off was brilliant because there are actual lasting consequences for Logan (and the cool bone claws are back). I agree about the ninja fight, it should have been longer. I wonder if it was cut to get a PG-13 rating? I loved Mariko throwing the knives. One, it made her more than just a damsel in distress in the final act, in fact she saves Logan. Two, it was set up earlier when she mentions that she was a champion knife thrower, nice payoff there. Three, it was her symbolically rejecting her grandfather and what he stood for. I liked Harada, but I can understand why some people don't like his role, its personal preference.

Yeah the ninja fight was pretty much cut for the rating it seems and it did feel like it, really didnt help the third acts pacing, felt like a rush to the end a bit, even though I dont have the issues with it some do.

Harada just seemed liked wasted potential to me, build him up to be dark mystery and then sort of just wasted him in the end.

Once he get the extended cut I think that will help both points though as the ninja fight will include more Harada.

I liked it. No more, no less. Very solid piece of work. As far from as bad as "Origins" as it is far from as fantastic as the Claremont/Miller story it's based on.

What I missed most was visual drama/brilliance and a more thematically striking use of Wolverine in Japan. Also too bad that the "inner struggle between man and animal" thing from the comic got lost in the mix.

I loved the fight scenes though. And also how the movie never lost focus on it's characters. Most of all I loved how Wolverine the character really got through. With a great balance/mix of his huge heart and his stubborn mind.

7/10

I liked it. No more, no less. Very solid piece of work. As far from as bad as "Origins" as it is far from as fantastic as the Claremont/Miller story it's based on.

What I missed most was visual drama/brilliance and a more thematically striking use of Wolverine in Japan. Also too bad that the "inner struggle between man and animal" thing from the comic got lost in the mix.

I loved the fight scenes though. And also how the movie never lost focus on it's characters. Most of all I loved how Wolverine the character really got through. With a great balance/mix of his huge heart and his stubborn mind.

7/10

Whether people think it was well done or not, that was basically the premise of X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

They can't just keep telling the same story over and over and over again. That gets redundant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"