The Dark Knight Rises Lifting the Bat-Bells II: Bale's physique

That's not really bulky though. It's well-muscled but not especially large.

He wasn't much larger in BB. He didn't have as much definition, that's for sure.

Why can't he put as much physical effort into Bruce, as he did with Dickie and Trevor? :(

JAK®;19954419 said:
That's not really bulky though. It's well-muscled but not especially large.

Exactly.

I'm still sticking to him weighting along the lines of at least 140-160 in TDK. Some think 140 is too skinny but it really isn't.

I'm 6'0 and did a good amount of weight training with dumbbells when I swam and played water polo and had more muscle mass and tone than Bale in TDK and only weighed around 150 fluctuating to 140 or sometimes over 150 to 165. I feel some might not have personal experience to say so thats the only reason I threw out those numbers based on my personal experience and having a similar frame that Bale has.

Bale's body is in the middle of ectomorph and mesomorph in terms of body frame, for guys with that type of body losing weight (especially if you have a relatively natural quick metabolism) you can weight 145-150 with a noticeable amount of muscle mass easy.

Found this.

the-many-bodies-of-christian-bale.jpg

190 for TDK is way off. 135 for Rescue dawn in where he looked heavier than The Fighter yet it states him 145 for that?

Yeah this thing is way off. The only one thats right seems to be Reign of Fire and the Machinist.

In Begins he weighed more than 190 definitely bottomed out somewhere along 195-200 as he weighed more than that apparently before filming and in TDK 150-160 I really can't see him heavier than that in that movie.

Here are some better pictures from TDK which clearly shows he's nowhere near the weight he had in Begins.

bale2.png

bale1.png

bale3.png

Last edited:
I'm surprised Nolan let a pit and chest haired Bale be filmed. I mean look at Evans, smooth as a baby's ass. Even though it doesn't make much sense in the 40's to shave chest hairs.

Found this.

the-many-bodies-of-christian-bale.jpg

190 lbs sounds about right for TDK. Bale was thin in the face and neck, but looked healthy other than that. He also wasn't toned like he was in Reign of Fire or American Psycho. I personally think Rescue Dawn aged him some and made him look withered in TDK, at least in the face.

I remember reading that Bale was around 210-220 lbs when they started Begins, which explains the bulk at the first of the film. He supposedly dropped some of his weight while they filmed that one.That explains why it's listed as 190 lbs, yet he seemed bigger in some parts of the film.

I wouldn't mind seeing 190 lbs again for TDKR, but I hope he's more toned this time. Even at 184+ in Reign of Fire, Bale looks well built. Hopefully he aims for something like that.

Last edited:
190 is so not right in regards to his weight in TDK. His biceps alone are more protruding in Reign of Fire without flexing yet in TDK there is clearly less protrusion or mass yet he's supposed to weigh less than TDK? Yeah, 190 isn't on the mark at all thank the clothing choice and Nolan's choices of camera angles.

He doesn't look unhealthy in TDK, thats an exaggeration but he certainly isn't 190 pounds.

Not to start another debate but for many parts of Begins he looked over 200, in DK he looked 190 or less. I think he'll be around the same size he was in DK for Rises, even though I prefer a more muscular Batman.

He wasn't much larger in BB. He didn't have as much definition, that's for sure.

Why can't he put as much physical effort into Bruce, as he did with Dickie and Trevor? :(
Gaining 100 pounds in six months isn't effort?

Gaining 100 pounds in six months isn't effort?
Wasn't quite 100 -- but consider it in context. About 80% of that weight was purely to recover from his emaciated state in Machinist. It's something he had to do whether he had the role or not.

In any case I was referring more to TDK. This thread and its many incarnations exist for a reason, and that's because there's a noticeable divide after the gameplan was switched during the middle of filming BB.

I'd say that's more to do with his rushed fitness regime. He looked close to ideal in Equilibrium. His constant weight shifts since then probably don't help to make him look so physically perfect now.

xBBFh.jpg

Lv8jN.jpg

This is the perfect ideal/body type. Although Bale has aged since then and like you said the constant drastic change in fat/muscle weight does take a little toll on muscle reparation. Also his bone density has increased considerably as he's aged as this happens to everyone naturally.

So yeah that body type is ideal and judging from recent pictures he looks heavier than he was in TDK in a good way too so hopefully he keeps that size.

So yeah that body type is ideal and judging from recent pictures he looks heavier than he was in TDK in a good way too so hopefully he keeps that size.

These are his latest pics. I think his shooting in China is almost over so he'll probably have a month or so to train a bit.

08d3a299.jpg

ftdkpg.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah its been posted and I've commented that he looks more plump (in his face) and his body is looking pretty muscly/lean (like Equilibrium/American Psycho) which I don't mind at all.

It's just that in TDK his face looked really gaunt at times especially during the scene when Alfred is stitching him and his body didn't really show any recent weight training but rather someone who did a while back but had been sedentary for a while losing some of its form, if you know what I mean.

rather someone who did a while back but had been sedentary for a while losing some of its form, if you know what I mean.
Which was story appropriate.

Probably incidental rather than intentional. I do remember Bale mentioning Nolan specifically told him to target a leaner build, but that was for the newer suit (which was heavier) where bulk would be to his disadvantage.

Ah well. Once again, the rubber suit gets in the way of an ideal physical representation of Bruce. :o

I don't get Bale.

In that first picture, his face looks plump and healthy (akin to BB).
But in that second photo, he goes back to looking skinny and gaunt (like TDK).

Which is it :dry:?

I don't get Bale.

In that first picture, his face looks plump and healthy (akin to BB).
But in that second photo, he goes back to looking skinny and gaunt (like TDK).

Which is it :dry:?
Angle, lighting, facial expression.

Depends on when the photo was taken also.

Nah, I'm not buying that.

I think Bale hit a plateau, where he can now change his weight at will.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"