• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

List of Things Batman Returns got Right/Wrong

In the Bob Kane Batman comic books, he killed sometimes but because he had no choice, that's pretty human and in Return he killed minor criminals and felt nothing, that is really cold-blooded and they were not worth killing.

I don't think the Catwoman in Batman Returns was true to the comic books.

Comic book Catwoman - black hair, green eyes, origin's a bit murky (just how many times have they retconned her origin anyway?), skilled thief, highly athletic, love/hate dynamic with Batman, seems to enjoy the risk, uses a whip as primary weapon

Batman Returns Catwoman - blonde hair, blue eyes, overworked-underpaid-unappreciated-unloved-understated-lacking-in-confidence secretary who only lets out her cynical views when alone, becomes world class athlete after apparently dying from a really high fall & being resurrected or reborn or whatever after a bunch of stray cats started licking & chewing at her,, just barely holding herself together afterwards, love/hate dynamic with Batman, uses a whip

Well, they remembered that she was white/caucasian, used a whip and had the love/hate thing going on with Batman, so they got those 3 things right. Michelle Pfeiffer was hot as well.

No, she wasn't. Not in personality, not in origin. She is a THIEF.

Batman Returns isn't "faithful" by any means. It has a Bruce Wayne and Batman showing mannerisms never seen in the comic books. A sewer freak Penguin.

It's just your Burton GOthic movie. Wasted oppurtunity. It paved the way for Batman Forever and B&R. (Although Batman Forever is - of course - better than Returns)

Yeah and Batman never told Catwoman "Quiet or papa spank."

Catwoman and Penguin for once were as good and much better than the originals respectively. Golden opportunity.

"And here we go"

Tell me what was bad about Pfeiffer's Catwoman. And then anything is better than a chubby guy in a tuxedo. Burton's real Penguin-Man was at least memorable, pathetic, pitiful and powerful as a character.

I like the chubby tuxedo Penguin, didn't care for the monster Penguin (I can simply watch a horror movie if I want to see a creature like him). Pfeiffer's Catwoman wasn't bad, but the whole movie... it's too Gothic for me. Batman(89) had a nice mix.

I'm not saying Pfeiffer was wrong for the role, it's just that the script for Catwoman could have been more true to the comic and how the hell do you come back from dead because of stupid cats licking you.

This thread is now redundant the same arguments keep getting recycled over and over. You want answers? try actually looking through the thread.

I'm not saying Pfeiffer was wrong for the role, it's just that the script for Catwoman could have been more true to the comic and how the hell do you come back from dead because of stupid cats licking you.

That's an easy one: she wasn't dead.

The scenes where all those clown people or whatever come out in the streets is amazing, I love that part.

In the comics books Catwoman is not supposed to be psychological and this character doesn't need an origin, simply just a thief in a catsuit.

Recently in the comics Catwoman has changed her way and now fights crime in Gotham.

I think in Batman Returns she wasn't an anti-heroine but an all out dualistic villain IMO.

In the comics books Catwoman is not supposed to be psychological and this character doesn't need an origin, simply just a thief in a catsuit.

Seriously, you'd prefer a lesser version of what Burton and Pfeiffer created just because that would be closer to what YOU PERSONALLY see as the comicbook character?

Do you know what 'adapt' means? Look it up.

In the words of Max Schreck, "Yawn."

Actually that was a mis-judged post, it seemed quite harsh so I apologise to Mr Omerhead.

My point is, if you can improve the character whilst staying true to the core concept, why not? You'll find Frank Miller, Alan Moore, Jeph Loeb all do it, so why can't Burton?

I love comic book Catwoman, but Pfeiffer's Catwoman was even more interesting, IMO. And Michelle was just superb in the role.

I loved Michelle's Catwoman as well.

That makes no sense to me.

I know if I was making a movie... creating/adapting a character who was 'simply a thief in a catsuit'... wouldn't get me creatively excited one bit.

Burton turned Catwoman into a multi-layered and tragically twisted character and she is the better for it. I actually think it was his greatest contribution to the batman franchise generally.

That makes no sense to me.

I know if I was making a movie... creating/adapting a character who was 'simply a thief in a catsuit'... wouldn't get me creatively excited one bit.

Burton turned Catwoman into a multi-layered and tragically twisted character and she is the better for it. I actually think it was his greatest contribution to the batman franchise generally.

It was also because he basically made her Batman and Bruce's equal counterpart. If she was just a thief...then what would that duality romance revolve around?
Because his Batman was a little more twisted, so was his Catwoman.
I think it was phenomenal and I hold Returns pretty high on the "coolest Batman things list".

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stryderzer0
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"