Homecoming Marisa Tomei Is Aunt May! - Part 1

marissa-tomei.jpg

Now that Marvel and Sony have found their Peter Parker, the focus has turned to the aunt who raised him.

Sources tell Variety that Marisa Tomei is the choice to play Aunt May in the next installment of the “Spider-Man” franchise.

Sony and Marvel had no comment on the casting.

While insiders could not say where things stood in the deal-making process, they have added that an offer was made late last week for the Oscar-winning actress to join Tom Holland, who was recently tapped to play the web-slinging superhero.

Marvel and Sony recently hand-picked Holland to play Spider-Man after months of meetings and screen tests with eager young actors, in addition to selecting “Cop Car” helmer Jon Watts to direct the pic.

The studios are still in the process of finding a writer to join Watts in the screenwriting process but insiders explained that the top brass also wanted to lock down other actors who would appear in multiple films so schedules could be worked out before shooting commences next year.

Kevin Feige and Amy Pascal will produce the pic, and though Holland is expected to first appear in “Captain America: Civil War” in a cameo appearance as Parker, it seems more likely that Tomei will not appear until the first “Spider-Man” film bows on July 28, 2017.

The job marks a new direction for Tomei, who generally sticks to dramas like “The Ides of March” and “The Wrestler,” or romantic comedies like “Crazy Stupid Love” and “My Cousin Vinny” (which landed her an Oscar), rather than studio tentpoles.

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/marisa-tomei-spider-man-1201536080/

After seeing Civil War, I think I may come around to this interpretation but it will take a long while to get used to. She reminds me a lot of Aunt Cass from Big Hero 6, who was a character I liked, so we'll see.

After seeing Civil War, I think I may come around to this interpretation but it will take a long while to get used to. She reminds me a lot of Aunt Cass from Big Hero 6, who was a character I liked, so we'll see.

Wow, that's actually really accurate. Hiro was very similar to Peter, too, so it fits.

I certainly won't be complaining if we get Baymax in Homecoming. :o

Just saw CW last night...

Tomei was excellent as May. Her chemistry with Holland/Peter was endearing. I got some great vibes from their moments together, especially the after-credits scene. Can't wait to see more of her in Homecoming.

So, will there be a subplot where Peter sabotages his Aunt May's dates with a certain Mr Stark? *eg*

Just saw CW last night...

Tomei was excellent as May. Her chemistry with Holland/Peter was endearing. I got some great vibes from their moments together, especially the after-credits scene. Can't wait to see more of her in Homecoming.

Tomei had great chemistry with both Holland and RDJ. She looked younger than normal too. I think she could reasonably become Tony's love interest.

I think, for the first time, audiences would think (if they didn't know the characters at all) that May was actually Peter's aunt. She behaved as you might expect an aunt to behave, and looked like one too.

If audiences didn't know the characters but saw Rosemary Harris and didn't remember what the exact relationship was with Peter, they'd probably assume it was his grandmother.

Really, out of these pictures, if you looked at them objectively without any prior knowledge, would you think Rosemary was his aunt?

kbmdpnbylhiuoq1jxemo.jpg

5659-28524.jpg

Marisa-Tomei-Without-Bra-with-Sexy-Look-on-her-Face.jpg

I cannot honestly believe anyone would conclude she was anything other than his grandmother if you just had to guess at the family relation. You might even think Sally Field was Peter's grandmother too.

In the comics apparently she's Mary Parker's sister, but she has by at least a few decades.

From what I've heard, Lee and Ditko's primary reason for making her look like the Crypt Keeper was to do a bunch of "Peter is worried that his sickly old aunt might keel over and die if she found out that he was Spider-Man." I cannot say that I have a problem with them not doing that in the films TBH. Heck they didn't even really do that with Rosemary Harris, she was there because Sam Raimi is a big fan of the classic Spider-Man stuff.

Also I, would be OK with her and Tony Stark dating honestly (ducks for cover).

I thought Richard and Ben were the siblings? Unless they married their in-laws, which can happen? :hmm

I think that Ben was Richard's significantly older brother, but I'd have to go back and check.

Wasn't it only in Trouble that they changed the relationship to make it that Richard and Ben dated and married a couple of sisters as well? But they also made it that May is actually Peter's mother who gave him up to Richard and Mary to raise as their own.

Before that, May wasn't related at all to Mary. And that's how I prefer it. I don't want her to also be Peter's aunt by blood.

How much has the relationship changed?!

My knowledge has always been of the following, as it's been stated since the 60's:

Richard and Ben Parker were brothers. Richard married Mary, where the union produced Peter, and Ben went on to marry May...

What's with all these changes?!

And May gave up Peter to two secret agents to raise?! WTF?!

How much has the relationship changed?!

My knowledge has always been of the following, as it's been stated since the 60's:

Richard and Ben Parker were brothers. Richard married Mary, where the union produced Peter, and Ben went on to marry May...

What's with all these changes?!

And May gave up Peter to two secret agents to raise?! WTF?!

Lol it's a non-canon storyline, don't worry about it

So is May still Mary's sister now? Have they kept that bit?

People still seem to talk about it as if that remains.

Ben is Richard's older brother. May is related to the Parker family only by name. Not sure how it was during the Silver Age, but I'm sure that's how it is nowadays.

In the Silver Age, and as far as I ever knew, May was only ever Peter's aunt-in-law.

The only time I've ever heard that she was Mary's sister was on these boards. Apparently that's a more recent change. I don't know if that's confined to "Trouble" though, but some here seemed to indicate it wasn't and that it was actually part of the 616 continuity.

You gotta wonder why uncle Ben would even want to leave the house.

wpid-wp-1436388390931.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"