Homecoming The Zendaya is Mary Jane thread - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
fDQ2RDU.jpg

It appears all of the trades are reporting Zendaya is playing a character called Michelle.

I wanted to start this thread so we can discuss her character and if we think Michelle is actually a secret name for another character.

I for one am hoping she's actually Mary Jane. I've seen some people speculate she's Betty, Liz, Felicia or even a small character from the comics called Michelle.

Who are you all hoping she's playing? If you think it's actually a character named Michelle, what are you hoping for her character?

People who boycott this movie because of Zendaya have their heads in the clouds. All two of them.

Gonna take a wild stab in the dark here and say that this will have no impact on the box office.

The film will be fine box office wise not enough people will boycott the film because they cast Zendaya as MJ.

Boycott is the wrong word.

In my case, I'll call it severely diminished enthusiasm. This is an indicator of where they are going with this franchise. The entire cast looks WAY off. Add that the writers of that last Vacation movie are involved and it's hard to look forward to this movie at this point. I'm a life-long, old school Spider-Man fan so maybe this was never geared for a fan like me. 20th Century Spider-Man has been cashed out for this Ultimate incarnation I guess.

Unlike other MCU movies I won't be promoting it among friends and family or online anywhere. I doubt I'll pay to see it dozens of times like other MCU efforts. I doubt I'm alone in this and that will lead to decreased revenue at the end of the day.

She's actually playing Miranda Tate. Or they'll genderbend her into John Blake.

Damn SJWs.

This will flop just like The Force Awakens.

According to this thread

all Marvel needs to do to throw away a decade of good will

is hire brown people.

Good thing the hype isn't reality.

Last edited:
I mean, it's Spider-Man, look at the past movies. Even if they try to boycott, it's going to get a big box office.

Gonna take a wild stab in the dark here and say that this will have no impact on the box office.

Zendaya has 6.8 million followers on twitter and 30.8 million followers on instagram. I'm going to go out on a limb and predict the casting of her will not hurt the box office.

According to this thread

is to hire brown people.

Cast Blade as a white guy or Misty Knight as an Asian and people would say the same thing.

Don't be a juvenile and inject anything other than respect for the source material in to this...

According to this thread

is to hire brown people.

I mean, it's Spider-Man, look at the past movies. Even if they try to boycott, it's going to get a big box office.

Angry minorities tend to be loud. :shrug:

Its like the people who petitioned for RT to be taken down and bash on critics or the SJW's and feminazi's and other people who generally dont get their way. They cry pretty loud but it gets lost in the crowd.

Cast Blade as a white guy or Misty Knight as an Asian and people would say the same thing.

Don't be a juvenile and inject anything other than respect for the source material in to this...
Ya lets TAKE AWAY people who are already underrepresented.

:facepalm:

Angry minorities tend to be loud. :shrug:

Its like the people who petitioned for RT to be taken down and bash on critics or the SJW's and feminazi's and other people who generally dont get their way. They cry pretty loud but it gets lost in the crowd.
Are we reading the same thread? The loudest people here are the ones crying about boogeymen SJW.

Are we reading the same thread? The loudest people here are the ones crying about boogeymen SJW.

Im talking about those people too. My point is that they're all inherently the same and dont even realize it.

This will sink or swim based on quality.

If it's good, people will support it.

The loudest ones here are clearly those under the age of 20.

If you're not old enough to drink, maybe this discussion is a bit over your head?

This will sink or swim based on quality.

If it's good, people will support it.

Exactly.

People ranted and ranted about Fan4stic due to the changes that film made before it released, but it was only after it was released that a lot of those issues weren't even the primary reason as to why it failed -- it just sucked as a film.

All the reasons people are listing about why Zendaya is wrong for the role or why the direction they're going in with Mary Jane is wrong for the character is quite honestly null in the long term of things because if the film is good and she is good in the film, it simply will not matter..just like the rest of the changes. Hardcore/purist fans will continue to have issues, but they'll quickly fall into the vocal minority section, so eh.

Ya lets TAKE AWAY people who are already underrepresented.

The funny thing about that comment is I find the idea of a South Asian Blade intriguing. There's no doubt Wesley Snipes' Blade is iconic, but I've always preferred the less uber powerful, pre-movie Blade. A race change might help the audience accept the different interpretation.

Boycott is the wrong word.

In my case, I'll call it severely diminished enthusiasm. This is an indicator of where they are going with this franchise. The entire cast looks WAY off. Add that the writers of that last Vacation movie are involved and it's hard to look forward to this movie at this point. I'm a life-long, old school Spider-Man fan so maybe this was never geared for a fan like me. 20th Century Spider-Man has been cashed out for this Ultimate incarnation I guess.

Unlike other MCU movies I won't be promoting it among friends and family or online anywhere. I doubt I'll pay to see it dozens of times like other MCU efforts. I doubt I'm alone in this and that will lead to decreased revenue at the end of the day.

this is how I feel.

The loudest ones here are clearly those under the age of 20.

If you're not old enough to drink, maybe this discussion is a bit over your head?
I can't seem to find any of the maturity you've brought to the discussion amidst all the insults you've been throwing around.

I'm not going to boycott the film if she is MJ but I to the life of me don't understand why they couldn't cast an actual redheaded actress. Is there a shortage of them? I see a lot of fans who complained about Kirsten Dunst's MJ not being a real redhead but here we're getting not only a race change but still not a real redhead and both are okay. :huh: Not to mention from the set pics she looks rather dowdy and from the Comic-Con trailer she sounds snobbish or has a chip on her shoulder.

I mean maybe she blows Peter off and realizes his self-worth later in the movie or likes him once the homecoming dance comes, but it seems like they're going for an ugly ducking turn into a swan cliché. Yet from her dress, Zendaya is still good-looking. If they wanted her to totally go through a geek to chic clichéd transformation, they could've at least added glasses to her, but then wouldn't that be just mimicking "Spectacular Spider-Man" with Gwen?

Exactly.

People ranted and ranted about Fan4stic due to the changes that film made before it released, but it was only after it was released that a lot of those issues weren't even the primary reason as to why it failed -- it just sucked as a film.

All the reasons people are listing about why Zendaya is wrong for the role or why the direction they're going in with Mary Jane is wrong for the character is quite honestly null in the long term of things because if the film is good and she is good in the film, it simply will not matter..just like the rest of the changes. Hardcore/purist fans will continue to have issues, but they'll quickly fall into the vocal minority section, so eh.

Got to give this a big thumbs up :up:

Maybe Zendaya's MJ dresses a certain way at school and another way when going out. Like humans do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"