The Zendaya is Mary Jane thread - Part 1

Discussion in 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' started by Thread Manager, Aug 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spider-Aziz I Wanna Be...

Not yet.

She's Michelle.

2. harryoscop Registered

3. Spider-Aziz I Wanna Be...

"News" originating from El Mayimbe are best left ignored.

4. harryoscop Registered

Not if said "News" is published on 'The Wrap' and corroborated by several other sources.

If you want to ignore it, that's fine but don't expect everybody else to do the same, especially when there's a ton of evidence stacking up in it's favor.

5. Spider-Aziz I Wanna Be...

Pardon me for being a skeptic, but The Wrap didn't bring any official news, their given source is "someone with info about someone with info to project and say".

Not a reliable source of info when things go like that.

6. harryoscop Registered

Someone with info to project and say? they never said that in the article. And That's generally how all of these Trade sites work, they get their info from a 'source' which in this case was 'two individuals with knowledge of the project'. Going by that logic, we shouldn't trust Variety or the Hollywood Reporter.

7. harryoscop Registered

Anyway:

[​IMG]

Zendaya is in the same spot as Allison & we all know how her arc in the movie goes. :cwink:

8. KalvinEllis Registered

She is beautiful. No doubt about that.

9. Spider-Aziz I Wanna Be...

Cute.

10. Dark Raven It's not about what you deserve...

At least Flash could've posed in a more manly way. The boys here make it look like the nerd/ Big Bang Theory version of the Breakfast Club where absolutely none of them are jocks or would even be capable of bullying.

And yes, I understand there can be Cyber Bullying, but that would be like having Sheldon making online jabs at you.

I wish that Watts didn't try to force this BC template on Spider-Man, or if he did, just kept these as original characters. But even the actual template would've partly worked if they varied the types represented a little more instead of having them all as science geeks.

11. KalvinEllis Registered

Nah, I thought she was okay, it was the mid-90s. Though I much preferred her design on the 2003 animated series. Loved the short hair.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#961 KalvinEllis, Aug 27, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
  12. Web-Head Black Widow is coming

The thing that makes me scratch my head is "Based on a recent script the character drops hints that she's really MJ." ??? Hints? Lol.

13. X Knight Straight Edge

I just read through Allison's story arc.

yes, Allison sort of invents a façade or front. and yes, Allison gets a makeover and gradually opens up to the group and mellows out.

but the character type and template for Allison is totally wrong for MJ. From the moment Allison is introduced as a "basket case" to the makeover and kiss at the end, none of that sounds at all like MJ. If MJ had originally been created like that, or portrayed like that in Ultimate comics or SSM, I would be far less interested in that character.

the façade Allison creates is the opposite of the one MJ creates. Allison deals with her problems by introverting, by withdrawing, by becoming this surly, weirdo, social outcast. She glares at people. She ignores people. She doesn't say much at first and is kind of off in the corner doing her own weird ****.

Some of that stuff does sound like Michelle, from how the character has been described so far. But none of that sounds like MJ.

When MJ creates her façade, she extroverts. she develops a happy go lucky, carefree, party girl persona who lives for the moment to have fun and doesn't seem to care about anything or anyone else. That doesn't sound anything at all like Allison - indeed, MJ's façade is the total opposite of Allison's.

and even though Allison gets a makeover at the end, she doesn't drastically change her personality. she doesn't suddenly become the complete opposite and become the playful alpha female of the group. She lets her guard down, opens up to the group, and becomes a nicer person. But becoming "nicer" suggests she wasn't so nice to begin with ( the weirdo, outcast Basket Case ).

And "not so nice" does NOT describe MJ. MJ should NOT be starting out in that position.

14. harryoscop Registered

Basically, it's the same thing but in reverse

15. Dark Raven It's not about what you deserve...

They should've put Peter in the jock position from the Breakfast Club and given him that arc. :o

16. X Knight Straight Edge

and that's precisely why it's wrong for MJ. imo, at least.

it's inverting or reversing the character type. Making MJ like Allison, giving MJ Allison's story arc, essentially turns her into the complete opposite character.

Allison's character is more like a "dark cloud." whereas MJ's character is more like "bright sunshine." that's how opposite they are.

Allison's character would be more appropriate for, say, Raven from Teen Titans. If they were to do a live action Titans film or tv show, and they wanted to model it after the BC, then Allison's template would fit Raven. You can read through Allison's character and story arc and imagine that being Raven instead. Much more so than imagining Starfire or MJ in that role.

and just imagine if in the original storyline, MJ shows up at Peter's door looking like weirdo Basket Case Allison. and then, in a dry, serious, deadpan tone said "Face It Tiger! You Just Hit The Jackpot!"

it would have been totally different and Peter's reaction would probably be totally different.......lol

exactly.

you could say that Claire from the BC is closer to MJ. but even then, not really.

yes, Claire has "fiery red hair." yes, Claire is the seemingly perfect "princess" of the group and the popular girl in school - that would fit MJ better. and yes, Claire has a messy homelife she's trying to escape, similar to MJ.

but the rest of Claire's story and personality doesn't really fit MJ either. I read through Claire's story arc, and she comes across as a much more "subdued" character than MJ is supposed to be. Claire doesn't come across as the playful alpha female MJ is supposed to be.

so, I wouldn't want MJ to be "forced" into Claire's template, either, because it still wouldn't be the same character. although Claire's template is certainly more "compatible" with MJ than Allison's template is. A Claire like MJ would be a more subdued version of the character. whereas an Allison like MJ would feel like the total opposite of the character.

#966 X Knight, Aug 27, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
  17. X Knight Straight Edge

and if we are to go by that BC pose pic, are we then to infer that Ned's character will be the "bad boy" "troublemaker" of the group?

18. harryoscop Registered

19. X Knight Straight Edge

don't know much about Ned Leed in the comics, but does bad boy/troublemaker fit his character?

what about Ganke from Miles' social circle?

20. harryoscop Registered

Nope. Ned is nothing like that in the comics.

He's obviously based on Ganke

21. PeterBenParker Wallopin' Websnappers!

Ganke is anything but a bad boy, too. He's more of a fanboy/cheerleader to Miles because his best friend is a superhero.

22. Dark Raven It's not about what you deserve...

What if "MJ" or "Mary Jane" is an alter ego that Michelle invents and Michelle is her secret identity? So maybe she switches back and forth between personalities (or she has a split personality). Maybe no-one, including Peter at the end knows it's actually Michelle, or she's like Cinderella at the ball as a mystery princess.

Or she could even take a potion like the Nutty Professor and her MJ personality comes out and threatens to take over. Maybe Eddie Murphy could play Michelle's fairy godmother who gives her the potion so she can go to the Homecoming Dance.

23. NinjaTurtleFan Turtle Power!

Well said, Dark Raven.

[​IMG]

24. Spider-Aziz I Wanna Be...

And set pictures show nothing that makes these hints believable.

25. NinjaTurtleFan Turtle Power!

Lol I'm picturing Mary Jane in my head as Buddy Love.

"I went from frumpy to fabulous!"

And there's Pearl (Sherman's mother) behind Michelle going, "Mary Jane! Mary Jane!"

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.