Mark Millar's Nemesis Project

Maybe it's just me, but whenever Millar is given freedom to use whatever dialogue he wants (IE Max or Parental Advisory rating) he goes overboard with the cursing and language so much that it becomes like a parody. In his work for Marvel and DC where he can't use those words as readily, his dialogue is enjoyable, witty, and clever. So, in this first issue, as well as with Wanted, I felt that it was forced and, to put it plainly, inappropriate.

That, coupled with [BLACKOUT]standing on a flying airplane with no equipment or gadgets to keep him held on[/BLACKOUT] and Nemesis' sudden chatty attitude more toward the end took away the excitement I had for the book when it was first announced a few months ago. Hopefully the rest of the book will be better and more like his Ultimates work (or even like the later issues of Wanted) so it won't be so hard to get into.

I agree. And yeah, that standing on the airplane thing was shockingly stupid.

I was intrigued by the premise and love McNiven, but I didn't realize in advance that it would have MAX-like content. Not for me.

I always liked the idea of MAX in theory...in other words, have the ability to tell stories that are more "grown-up" like Fables or Sandman. But, in practice, it always ends up being an excuse to show boobies and swear. How they haven't gotten Quentin Tarantino or Judd Apatow to write a MAX series book by now is beyond me.

That said, I liked the first issue. It's typical over-the-top Millar. The airplane bothered me more for the fact that he lifted it from his own scene in Civil War with Cap.

I like that they're playing up the Detective's (I already forgot his name) Catholic background. We Catholic's have really taken a beating lately...

I'm not offended by harsh language or :gasp: nudity, just
a guy jumping on to Air Force one and shooting the pilots through the windshield.
Still, I enjoyed the first issue, McNiven is simply :awesome:

^ I'm not offended by it, but it does cause me to roll my eyes that anyone actually thinks it makes something mature.

I enjoy a comic in which I can root for the bad guy. First issue was typical over the top in your face Millar but it was still enjoyable.

^^

Is that really the intention though? I think he made the acts of nemesis dispacable enough to the point that he is not who is intended to be rooted for in the story. The fact that he chose to close up
on the trucker holding a small child before the plane hit
proves my point imo.

I think its kinda like what Azarello did in the Joker GN. Make the character so despicable to show that just because the protagonist is a bad guy doesn't mean you actually have to like him.

The one thing that annoyed me about Kick Ass was Millar's excessive use of the F-word. I greatly enjoyed Kick Ass but i felt like he used the word so many times that it lost its meaning towards the end. It seems like we're getting the same shtick here with Nemesis. Dont get me wrong, i love cursing and blood and violence just as much as the next guy but i hope Millar is careful not to go overboard with it, cause it could end up blowing up in his face ( e.g. see Jeph Loeb).

It takes more than a few swears to make me lose faith in a story. Loeb's work was just junk and confusing. I have had very little trouble following where Millar takes things, and so far this one has started off well enough. :)

I agree. And yeah, that standing on the airplane thing was shockingly stupid.

I actually assumed that if he's a master criminal, he had equipment that wasn't "over the top". For instance, boots designed to stick to surfaces, high powered guns with armor piercing bullets, kevlar costume, etc.

You guys should hear me talk IRL. I'm like a walking, talking, ****ing Millar comic.

I'm slightly pissed, yet, somehow I'm overall ambivalent. I guess it's cause I'm used to waiting for Millar books by now. It'd be weird if they came on time. :o ... :mad:

Nemesis #2 Preview!!!!

Fairly good origin take on Nemesis. Not as cool as Morrison's Owlman, but it's still a decent origin. :) Boy following his dying mother's sick wish.

I love how the stakes are getting higher and higher. I also appreciated the script stuff, because otherwise we wouldn't had noticed that Nemesis' mother died on March 12th. Loved how there was a motorbike under that car and everything, but yeah the Pentagon scene was pretty much the highlight, i wasn't really buying Nemesis' threath at the end tho. :p

"You think this P stands for 'James'?!"
"Uh, no, why would I think--"
BOOTTOTHEFACE!

So has this series been cancelled or what? And now that the movie's been announced, does this mean it'll be another two years until its done? lol

Mcniven got sick really bad, but the 3rd issue is coming out soon.

4. Just like Batman Year One had. =P

That stinks. :( What illness does he have?

NPH-ASK-GOD.gif

The thing is with Millar, i think he comes up with some great ideas/concepts but his execution lets him down a lot of the time. Some of his stuff is alright. I loved Kick Ass the movie, didn't really like the book.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"