Comics Marvel NOW: Spider-Man Renew Your Vows

So... I see a few familiar names around here, even though I think I've been gone for years. Unexpected.

I quit comics when they broke up MJ and Peter. Done. Dead to me.

But not long ago I saw this graphic novel: https://www.amazon.com/Spider-Man-Renew-Your-Dan-Slott/dp/0785198865

It was the first book I bought since they killed off the marriage. Love it, of course. But I assumed it was a one time thing.

So what is THIS? Is there a continuing title with MJ and Peter together? Is it any good?

The book you bought is the original Renew Your Vows that was apart of the secret wars event in 2015. Written by Dan Slott it hit high sales and got good reviews. The current Renew Your Vows is a loose continuation of the original story. A few changes but the premise is the same...Peter and MJ are married and have a daughter Annie. Using regent tech MJ is a costumed hero and their daughter Annie has powers genetically endowed upon her from Peter's dna.

The first few arcs with Gerry Conway writing and Stegman drawing were gold. After Conway left, Stegman was writing and drawing some but the series took a noticeable downturn. Now, with the new creative team the book is dead imo. There's an 8 year time jump that took away the focus of what made the initial arcs so good and instead have the book basically about Annie, another spider-girl.

Marvel screwed this up. Once again they got it wrong. What made this book so successful was seeing the family dynamic with a married Peter and MJ as the heart of the story and trying to make the best life they could for their daughter. Taking the focus away from Peter and MJ and of course losing Conway are what killed this book imo. I've since cancelled my sub.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"