Master of disguise: The official "Arnold Vosloo is Zartan" thread

Bug-Eyed Earl

Civilian
Reaction score
The Mummy returns- sort of. Discuss Arnold Vosloo's third time around working for Stephen Sommers and the character he plays here.

As much as I have dislike for Stephen, he was perfectly cast.

I know many wanted him for Destro, but Zartan is far more important to me, so this is the BEST news so far, IMO at least. Awesomeness. :up:

Also....

vosloozartan.jpg

I have a feeling he's gonna be awesome in the movie. He's great at playing villains (Hard Target, The Mummy, Blood Diamond)

Master of disguise like the darkman sequels.

Something about south africans makes them great villians. I think its the accent. My chemistry teacher was south african and he sounded like a Bond Villian.

I dunno, I think Vosloo fit Destro better.

I dunno, I think Vosloo fit Destro better.

Same here, but I'm happy with this instead. One, with Vosloo they would have never kept him under an emotionless steel mask for the whole flick, and two, since they cast a freakin' NOBODY as Destro, that shows the part may suck ash, or be extremely limited or flat. With the nobody guy they can steel his face up and dub in a deep voice, no problem or complaints.

Hopefully as Zartan he will have some kick ash scenes and great lines. And if he turns blue in the sun, I'll see this movie 10 times, even if it sucks. I swear I will. :o

I dunno, I think they should figure out a way for Destro's face to move with the mask.

Since Destro in this movie apparently develops nanomachines, the mask could be made of nanomachines that make the mask contour to his face and very flexible. Boush.

Vosloo was awesome in "Hard Target".

"Next time, I'm coming back to cut me a steak"

Same here, but I'm happy with this instead. One, with Vosloo they would have never kept him under an emotionless steel mask for the whole flick, and two, since they cast a freakin' NOBODY as Destro, that shows the part may suck ash, or be extremely limited or flat. With the nobody guy they can steel his face up and dub in a deep voice, no problem or complaints.

Hopefully as Zartan he will have some kick ash scenes and great lines. And if he turns blue in the sun, I'll see this movie 10 times, even if it sucks. I swear I will. :o

What does it matter how well known the actor is. I am more intrested in someone whos right for the part than celebrity well knowns.

He would've been perfect as Destro. :(

What does it matter how well known the actor is. I am more intrested in someone whos right for the part than celebrity well knowns.

It's not a big deal really, it's just that Destro appears to be THE main bad guy, the big-time head villain in this big budget blockbuster. And it's "the guy who had ONE line in Batman Begins". But you're absolutely right, this guy probably kicked some serious ash in the casting room, and will hopefully have a big silver face for at least 99% of the movie, so it won't matter who the bad place he is. :cwink:

But anyway, Vosloo as Zartan has to be one of the best casting decisions this movie made. Most of youse wanted him for Destro, but I remember joking that he better be in the movie no matter what, even as a cameo pedestrian, so this is good. :funny:

They got the casting ash backwards. The guy playing Destro should be Zartan, and Vosloo should be Destro.

Then I would be a very happy man. The casting to this movie has been just so...strange. Apart from Ray Park, of course.

DL.. why is Zartan more important to you??

i like this casting too...

man i hope the Dreadnoks.. make a cameo

I dunno, I just always liked Zartan when I was a kid. He was my fav character/toy, so I guess for nostalgia reasons he is my number 1 interest. Can't wait to see how he looks, sounds, etc etc. :woot:

Will Zartan be a solo figure in this, or will they be faithful to the myth and make him part of the Dreadnoks..?

They got the casting ash backwards. The guy playing Destro should be Zartan, and Vosloo should be Destro.

Then I would be a very happy man. The casting to this movie has been just so...strange. Apart from Ray Park, of course.
Honestly this is kind of how I feel at the moment. I mean Vosloo is really the main villain rather than the henchman. The only justification I can see is that Vosloo wanted to play Zartan instead and was maybe tired of playing the lead villain role.

I am happy he's a part of this movie, because he's an underrated performer and he deserves good work. I think he was one of the better villains on 24. Plus this being his third movie with Sommers makes him one of Sommers' staple players. I think directors that make up a stable and ensemble of actors they constantly work with is good.

Honestly this is kind of how I feel at the moment. I mean Vosloo is really the main villain rather than the henchman. The only justification I can see is that Vosloo wanted to play Zartan instead and was maybe tired of playing the lead villain role.

You act like it's impossible that Sommers simply thought he was a better fit
for Zartan.

I think this is great casting. However, no amount of casting can get me hyped about this film as Sommers is directing. I'll have to wait until the first pics arise and possibly the trailer before I get somewhat enthused (or disgusted).

Arnold Vosloo is going to be the shiz as Zartan. I'm glad he's not Destro. Zartan is more of a bad@ss.

I think he's better suited personality wise for Zartan, but I don't think he looks the part. I would've liked Sean Bean to play Zartan, but Vosloo is fine. He'd be good no matter who he played...cept I can't see him as Cobra Commander.

I'm really looking forward to seeing Vosloo play Zartan. Zartan was one of my favorite villains...sort of a loner type. I hope they keep him recognizable.

I just re-bought Zartan from Target the other day. I'm glad they are re-releasing the originals in pretty faithful old school packaging to boot. :up:

I'm extremely worried about Zartan's look after seeing all of the pics coming out. It all looks so... normal. I doubt he will show up with a red hood, black around his eyes, etc. He may just be Arnold V. in a red shirt and black leather jacket or something.

I hope I'm wrong though. DAMN wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"