Max: The Artist Formerly Known as HBO Max

Not WD Max? Warner Max? Just Max?

I understand why they're changing the name.

HBO Max was always a terrible name for the service. No one liked it from the get-go. It has four syllables (three of which are an acronym) and doesn't roll off the tongue like the other streaming service names. They're just streamlining and simplifying it now.

I'd like for it to just be called "HBO", but I get why they're clipping that too. It's not really just HBO shows on there, but some prospective (uninformed) subscribers might think that to be the case.

So will the HBO Max app be automatically updated with this new interface or are existing users expected to sign up to the new service and go through the process of queuing things all over again?

I understand why they're changing the name.

HBO Max was always a terrible name for the service. No one liked it from the get-go. It has four syllables (three of which are an acronym) and doesn't roll off the tongue like the other streaming service names. They're just streamlining and simplifying it now.

I'd like for it to just be called "HBO", but I get why they're clipping that too. It's not really just HBO shows on there, but some prospective (uninformed) subscribers might think that to be the case.

It seems like "HBO Max" was actually finally starting to reach mass adoption, so I feel like the name honestly didn't need to be changed at all though. Changing it now is just plain dumb - and I bet folks will still call it "HBO Max" for a while regardless.

As bad a name as "HBO Max" was and still is, calling it just "Max" is one of the stupidest moves ever. Have these execs never heard of being able to Google things either? This is like the company previously known as Massdrop renaming themselves to just Drop. :doh:

I’m assuming they tested the name with some focus group and it went over better with “Max”. The new service is not going to be just HBO shows.

I’m assuming they tested the name with some focus group and it went over better with “Max”. The new service is not going to be just HBO shows.
Just as long as I keep getting it because I pay for HBO.

MaX is just a weird name. Its as weird sounding as Peacock.

Do you have a Peacock? No I have a MaX. Do you have MaX?
What a MaX? Whats on MaX?

Its literally a name of a person, can be a title of a mature film or can be misinterpreted as a Mask.

Just call it WB+ and call it a day.

Yep. Even if you take away all of the controversy surrounding Rowling, the Harry Potter movies are still fresh in people's minds and while some of them omitted some important material from the books they're still beloved by many. I can't see this going over well.
Its a terrible idea. Because these TV shows would look underbudgeted/low budget knockoffs compare to the movies and you'd have people comparing the one to another for every season and to no ends.

Also 7 seasons is a lot for a streaming service... Likehow do they plan to release them? Every year, or every 2 years or whenever they finished something. And if its canceled after 2 to 3 seasons, it would just be embarrassing.

If they can't make a Fantastic Beasts 4 to finish that era. A brand new story in Wizarding World, whether its a series or a film should be their neXt move. Hello Hogwarts Legacy.

Its a terrible idea. Because these TV shows would look underbudgeted/low budget knockoffs compare to the movies and you'd have people comparing the one to another for every season and to no ends.
I guess that would depend on the budget. You look at shows like House of the Dragon or even Rings of Power, those VFX probably either look on par with or better than the Harry Potter movies but to be fair those movies are 10-20+ years old so not all of the CGI has aged well. I'd expect them to throw a stupid amount of money around for the show because they're desperate. I think this is an emergency backup plan for them not being able to do a Harry Potter and the Cursed Child now that the OG cast has distanced themselves from Rowling.

So will the HBO Max app be automatically updated with this new interface or are existing users expected to sign up to the new service and go through the process of queuing things all over again?
That’s what I am wondering as well because I subscribe to HBO Max through my AT&T HBO subscription. So I hope that they will keep that deal between the companies going but we’ll see.

I guess that would depend on the budget. You look at shows like House of the Dragon or even Rings of Power, those VFX probably either look on par with or better than the Harry Potter movies but to be fair those movies are 10-20+ years old so not all of the CGI has aged well. I'd expect them to throw a stupid amount of money around for the show because they're desperate. I think this is an emergency backup plan for them not being able to do a Harry Potter and the Cursed Child now that the OG cast has distanced themselves from Rowling.
I think creating a new story set in the Harry Potter world is a much better idea than a reboot series for MaX. At least if the first/2nd season tanked, they could abandon it like Fantastic Beasts. Instead of doing a season by season adaptation of all 7 books that already got a modern movie adaptation.

House of the Dragon if I'm not mistaken, isn't rebooting the GOT. While Rings of Power if I'm not mistaken, is an original story set in Middle Earth.

They should take a note with what Disney and Paramount are doing with Star Wars and Star Trek. Milking them dry with a bunch of spin off shows.

Removing HBO name is stupid.

WB+, WBMax, WB:discovery all make more sense when Removing hbo title.

I doubt they tested anything out but are just afraid of another rebranding since it will hurt them and thus Max is the safest option.

I have absolutely no problem w this and don't see it being much of a problem

its not like they're gonna stop making HBO shows now

I mean, the HBO Max name has caused some confusion with HBO. HBO and HBO Max are separate companies.

Now, Max is just a bad name, however.

Nah, Peacock is probably the worst name any streamer could come up with…especially if you’re trying to target a broad audience.
They should have went with Universal+.

I know + is overused but Disney+, Paramount+, PlayStation Plus and Apple TV+ are fine with it. Anyway they should use the name of their film studio and add a plus beside it. Its an instant way of saying "we got the huge film catalog of this studio in this streaming service".

MaX is a weird name, especially if you look at the name of their subdivisions. Warner Bros. Pictures, Warner Music, Warner Bros. Television, etc... Even Discovery used Discovery+.

I think creating a new story set in the Harry Potter world is a much better idea than a reboot series for MaX. At least if the first/2nd season tanked, they could abandon it like Fantastic Beasts. Instead of doing a season by season adaptation of all 7 books that already got a modern movie adaptation.

House of the Dragon if I'm not mistaken, isn't rebooting the GOT. While Rings of Power if I'm not mistaken, is an original story set in Middle Earth.

They should take a note with what Disney and Paramount are doing with Star Wars and Star Trek. Milking them dry with a bunch of spin off shows.
Wizarding World: House of the Hupplepuff
Wizarding World: Wands of Power
Wizarding World: The Marauders
Wizarding World: Slytherin
Wizarding World: Ravenclaw
Wizarding World: Potions
Wizarding World: LeStrange New World

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"