Max: The Artist Formerly Known as HBO Max

There's no way it's making it past a full season or two. It's okay to let things END. I bet they pitched a sequel to the original trio and they turned it down. Then make something else! Hogwarts legacy was a fantastic game set 100 years prior.

HBO Max was $14.99/month as of last year for 4k/HDR. Then they raised it to $15.99 in January for 4k/HDR. Now they are raising it to $19.99 for that same tier.

That's a 33% price hike just in the past few months.
Geez. Not going to keep subscribers that way.

There's no way it's making it past a full season or two. It's okay to let things END. I bet they pitched a sequel to the original trio and they turned it down. Then make something else! Hogwarts legacy was a fantastic game set 100 years prior.
Hogwarts Legacy is an eXample that they could do a new story set in this world and be successful.

Idk, maybe JK Rowling didn't approve their other ideas?

Anyway, unless its good I won't be watching it. I'm already watching too many streaming shows. And I simply don't think they can top and surpass those movies.... the cast, the sets, the budget, the locations, the direction, all those years adapting every book up to the final one with 2 movies. Yeah MaX won't get to replicate that success.

Last edited:
Haha, good job Zaslav & co.

Geez. I saw the video announcement. Its reallll....

Like why couldn't they do a Wizarding World: House of the Hupplepuff to test the waters, but they went straight to Philosopher's Stone? Like they are gonna recast everyone now?! Good God.
I've got plenty of other shows to watch, lol. I can give this a pass.

Will HBO's shows still be included with Max?

From what I can tell, pretty much nothing has changed except for a small price hike. The logo looks the same, they just dropped the “HBO” part. They were already adding Discovery shows on the service anyway so nothing new there.

Those original Potter films are so iconic and beloved that a reboot is almost unfathomable to me.

Funnily enough they still used the John Williams theme in that little teaser. My point proven lol.
Controversy aside it's like the difference between Keira Knightley's Pride & Prejudice and the almost 6 hour version from BBC. They do cut a lot out. I mean didn't Snape in the books say, spare Lily but it's okay to kill James & Harry?

Will HBO's shows still be included with Max?

Of course. Virtually nothing will change other than having a larger library that incorporates Discovery content, more 4K content and 4K releases for all new WB movies, and new original series announced.

I really don't see what all the "backlash" is about. HBO Max originals were already called "Max Originals" from the beginning. And it's going to be funny to see how quickly people come around to the new Harry Potter show once it starts gearing up. I know ya'll will be watching....

House of the Dragon if I'm not mistaken, isn't rebooting the GOT. While Rings of Power if I'm not mistaken, is an original story set in Middle Earth.

They are both prequels. A highly condensed adaptation in the latter case as the two main plotlines take place like 1000 years apart in the books.

Of course. Virtually nothing will change other than having a larger library that incorporates Discovery content, more 4K content and 4K releases for all new WB movies, and new original series announced.

I really don't see what all the "backlash" is about. HBO Max originals were already called "Max Originals" from the beginning. And it's going to be funny to see how quickly people come around to the new Harry Potter show once it starts gearing up. I know ya'll will be watching....

"HBO" is a HUGE brand name though. Why would you wanna get rid of that?

And it's going to be funny to see how quickly people come around to the new Harry Potter show once it starts gearing up. I know ya'll will be watching....
Helpful tip: don't assume every single person who is criticizing the show (be it here and/or elsewhere) will watch it and treat that as inevitable fact. That's a gross generalization and simply untrue. Hate watchers will undoubtedly exist, but that's not everyone. Not to mention, there are valid criticisms to be had even without the JK Rowling-sized elephant in the room.

If your philosophy here was true, people would be gushing and raving about the new Velma show once it came out. Take a gander why that was not actually the case.

They are both prequels. A highly condensed adaptation in the latter case as the two main plotlines take place like 1000 years apart in the books.
In that case, I wanted a prequel spin off for Hogwarts, like with Slytherin, Gyrffindor, Hupplepuff and Ravenclaw - the people behind those names. The early days of that school.

"HBO" is a HUGE brand name though. Why would you wanna get rid of that?
Most likely because MaX is now under Discovery (Warner Bros Discovery to be eXact).

IMO, they shouldn't have used HBO as a name in the 1st place, since its the name of that cable network and prior to MaX, they had the streaming services HBO Go and HBO Now - which just caused confusion when HBO MaX was announced. The WB streaming service before the merger happened, had content outside of HBO, which was the entire WB film/tv family. So they should named it WB+ instead or WB MaX.

Anyway, I can see now why it isn't still called WB+ since Discovery people probably didn't even want to keep Hbo in the title. While Discovery+ and Warner Bros Discovery+ are quite long for a streaming service name.

Ultimate Ad-free? What the hell is this now?

Edit: Googled it.

"This third tier will allow four concurrent streams in 4k Ultra HD resolution and allows up to 100 offline downloads. HBO Max subscribers who fall in the second tier (currently the top tier) have access to these Ultimate Ad-Free features and will continue to have them for six months after Max’s implementation. After the six months, subscribers will be asked to upgrade to Ultimate Ad-Free or lose those features."

"This third tier will allow four concurrent streams in 4k Ultra HD resolution and allows up to 100 offline downloads. HBO Max subscribers who fall in the second tier (currently the top tier) have access to these Ultimate Ad-Free features and will continue to have them for six months after Max’s implementation. After the six months, subscribers will be asked to upgrade to Ultimate Ad-Free or lose those features."

MaX resolution of 8k.

I cant even.

I watch enough HBO that I would deal with ads to keep it.

Helpful tip: don't assume every single person who is criticizing the show (be it here and/or elsewhere) will watch it and treat that as inevitable fact. That's a gross generalization and simply untrue. Hate watchers will undoubtedly exist, but that's not everyone. Not to mention, there are valid criticisms to be had even without the JK Rowling-sized elephant in the room.

If your philosophy here was true, people would be gushing and raving about the new Velma show once it came out. Take a gander why that was not actually the case.

Inevitable fact? Gross generalization? Velma?

Helpful tip: relax and get a grip. I jokingly said “I know ya’ll will be watching…” to the people in this thread and didn’t mean to trigger you into some kind of frenzy, nor am I assuming every person in the world will be watching the new Harry Potter series. However, many people will watch it (including plenty who are critical of it now) and there is always the chance that public perception of the series skews positive once there is more info on it.

I’ll see you here in a few years and we can see how it all ends turns out. :up:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"